QUESTION ABOUT HOURS OF BRIGHT WEEK

Discuss the holy Mysteries and the liturgical life of the Church such as the Hours, Vespers, Matins/Orthros, Typica, and the Divine Liturgy. All Forum Rules apply. No polemics. No heated discussions. No name-calling.
GOCPriestMark
Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: GOC-Metropolitan Kirykos

Post by GOCPriestMark »

Elpidophoros wrote:

My Dear Fathers,I know how poor is my english,but in the rubric says:
"This office is repeated three times for each Hour, and at Compline and the Midnight Office."
This is why I understood that for each hour(First,Third,Sixth.....)should read the whole office three times.
And I checked today morning from the Greek Horologion,clearly this rubric is faithful translated from the greek prototype.

The English translation of the Pentecostarion, published by Holy Transfiguration Monastery, renders this rubric thus; "This service is done thrice, for the hours, for compline, and for nocturns."

This instruction, with the comma after the word 'thrice', matches our practice on Pascha of replacing the 1st, 3rd and 6th hours with the reading of this Paschal hour once. I wish I knew someone whose zeal for the Resurrection would impel them to sing this Office thrice for each 'hour' thereby singing "Having beheld the Resurrection . . . " 27 times, but I don't, neither can I imagine anyone, either parish or monastery doing this.

==+==+==+==+==+==+==+==+==+==+==+==+==

Priest Mark Smith
British Columbia

Elpidophoros

Post by Elpidophoros »

It's ture ....I never heard in any place neither parish/cathedral nor monastery ever read 9 times (as Fr Mark said "singing "Having beheld the Resurrection . . . " 27 times") between Paschal Matins and Liturgy.It really sounds ......what can I say....extreme.....
But I think the greek rubric says very clear,I do not see any other possibility to understand this rubric .......
So,for any day of Bright Week,we should to read this service 18 times(for midle-night ,1,3,6,9 hours,and compline....)and "Having beheld the Resurrection"54 times!!!!!!!!!!!!!Kyrie Eleison!!!!!!

Maybe this is why many times even traditionalists priests and monks also say:"do not try to do everything exactly acorrding to Typikon...."