Saint Phanourios Cake?

Discuss the holy Mysteries and the liturgical life of the Church such as the Hours, Vespers, Matins/Orthros, Typica, and the Divine Liturgy. All Forum Rules apply. No polemics. No heated discussions. No name-calling.
尼古拉前执事
Archon
Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Non-Phylitist

Saint Phanourios Cake?

Post by 尼古拉前执事 »

I have heard a little about the Saint Phanourios Cake, but could someone tell me more about this?

The following is what I have found on the matter other than understanding that you bring it to the Church.

If you’ve lost something and want to find it, St. Phanourious is the one to ask for assistance. When the Saint comes to your rescue, make an offering cake in appreciation and bring it to the Church to share.

St. Phanourious Cake
4 cups self-rising flour*
1 tsp cinnamon
1 cup vegetable oil
1 cup plus 2 TBSP sugar
12 TBSP orange juice
1/2 cup water
grated lemon peel
1/2 cup dark raisins
1/2 cup light raisins
1/2 cup finely chopped walnuts

Icing sugar

Combine flour and cinnamon. In medium bowl beat oil sugar, orange juice, water and lemon peel. Add raisins, nuts and flour mixture, beat well. Grease and flour a 12" round pan. Shake out excess flour from pan. Pour batter in pan and bake in moderate oven (180 C, 350 F) for about 45 mins. When cool, dust with confectioner's sugar and cut into squares. Cake tastes better if left for 24 hours.

*Self-rising flour can be substituted for with all purpose flour, 4 tsp baking powder and a dash of salt.

προσκυνητής
Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: GOC of Greece - Met. Christophoros

Phanouropita

Post by προσκυνητής »

Phanouropita or St. Phanourios cake may be made as an offering to ask for the miracle or thank him for granting the miracle. Yes, he is usually prayed to for finding something that was lost.

The cake is brought to church and blessed, usually after Liturgy. There is a special prayer (below), and the way it can be done is:

After "Blessed be the Name of the Lord" the Apolytikion of St. Phanourios is chanted; then "Glory" and the Kontakion of St. Phanourios; then "Both now" and the Theotokion (I assume in the same Tone as the Kontakion). While these are being chanted, the priest censes the cake. Then the priest reads this prayer:

THE PRAYER FOR THE BLESSING
OF SAINT PHANOURIOS’ CAKE

Code: Select all

O Lord Jesus Christ, the Heavenly Bread, the Food that abideth forever, the richly-bestowing Provider, the Giver of every good, Who through Elias broughtest forth food not by the labours of husbandry; Thou Hope of the despairing, the Help of the helpless, and the Salvation of our souls: bless these gifts and those that have offered them unto Thee to Thy glory and to the honour of the holy and glorious Great Martyr Phanourios the Newly-appeared. And grant unto them that have prepared these cakes every good thing, both of this world and of that which transcendeth this world, O Good One. Gladden them with the joy of Thy Countenance; show them paths unto salvation. Swiftly fulfill the requests of their hearts and their every purpose, and guide them in the work of Thy commandments, that in joy and gladness they may ever hymn and glorify Thine all-honourable and majestical Name, through the intercessions of our most blessed Lady Theotokos and Ever-virgin Mary, of the holy and glorious Great Martyr Phanourios the wonderworker, and of all Thy Saints; for Thou art He that doth bless, hallow, multiply, and nourish all things, O Christ our God, and unto Thee do we send up glory, with Thy Father Which is without beginning, and Thine all-holy, and good, and life-creating Spirit, now and ever, and unto the ages of ages. Amen.

Romanos
Florida, USA

The content of any of my posts is strictly my own opinion and not the official position of St. Menas Greek Orthodox Chapel, the GOC of Greece, nor any of her clergy.

προσκυνητής
Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: GOC of Greece - Met. Christophoros

Phanouropita

Post by προσκυνητής »

Oops! I should have checked the books before I made that post. The Theotokion should be the one in the First Tone that reads:

By the intercessions, O Lord, of all the Saints and the Theotokos, do Thou grant us Thy peace and have mercy on us, since Thou alone art compassionate.

Romanos
Florida, USA

The content of any of my posts is strictly my own opinion and not the official position of St. Menas Greek Orthodox Chapel, the GOC of Greece, nor any of her clergy.

ANGELA

Post by ANGELA »

This seems like a great fasting cake. Can it be made anytime?

Melissa

Post by Melissa »

More on St. Phanourios can be read at:

http://www.orthodox.net/recipes/st-phan ... cipes.html

There's the Troparion, kontakion, as well as a yummy sounding recipe for non-fasting St. Phanourios bread.

Melissa