Eunuchs by nature?

News about traditional Orthodox monastics and how these monks and nuns are living out their vocations in monasteries and convents. All Forum Rules apply. No polemics. No heated discussions. No name-calling.

Moderator: Mark Templet

Olympiada
Jr Member

Eunuchs by nature?

Post by Olympiada »

Hi All,
Is it true that there are eunuchs who are created by God, men that are incapable of loving women in a sexual way, and that this why some men become monks?
Olympiada

Liudmilla
Sr Member

Post by Liudmilla »

To suggest that men become monastics because of some inability to have "relations" with women is a bit ridiculous and belittling to the many monastics struggling in this world. Forgive me, but this points to the fact that you have a poor understanding of what a monastic is and what they are strive to do. Perhaps a better line of study would be to examine what monasticism is.

Milla

GOCPriestMark
Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: GOC-Metropolitan Kirykos

Post by GOCPriestMark »

The one and only real reason to become a monastic is to save one's soul. Doubt not though, that God uses whatever means possible to bring one to the threshold of the monastery if that is where one needs to be.

I like when people ask honest questions about things they don't know, it's a good sign.

==+==+==+==+==+==+==+==+==+==+==+==+==

Priest Mark Smith
British Columbia

Olympiada
Jr Member

To save one's soul?

Post by Olympiada »

All right, what does that mean, "to save one's soul". Despite my reading and study and this and that and sacramental and parish and what ever life, I still don't get it. Can someone please explain this to me?
Thanks
Olympiada :roll:

GOCPriestMark
Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: GOC-Metropolitan Kirykos

Re: To save one's soul?

Post by GOCPriestMark »

Olympiada wrote:

All right, what does that mean, "to save one's soul".

repentance

==+==+==+==+==+==+==+==+==+==+==+==+==

Priest Mark Smith
British Columbia