Sadistic Monks

News about traditional Orthodox monastics and how these monks and nuns are living out their vocations in monasteries and convents. All Forum Rules apply. No polemics. No heated discussions. No name-calling.

Moderator: Mark Templet

Olympiada
Jr Member

Sadistic Monks

Post by Olympiada »

Hello everyone,
I am casting about or trawling in a few communities for some information. Does anyone know of any sadistic monks in the history of Orthodoxy I can read about? Rasputin comes to mind, but he doesn't count because he was a heretic, right? No I mean the real deal, like monks gone wild or something.
Thanks
Olympiada

TomS
Protoposter

Post by TomS »

Why?

----------------------------------------------------
They say that I am bad news. They say "Stay Away."

Liudmilla
Sr Member

Post by Liudmilla »

Olympiada:

Of what possible spiritual use is this persuit of yours? It would seem that it would cause you more harm than any good.

I would suggest you redirect your energies into something a bit more profitable.

Milla

michigan
Jr Member

Post by michigan »

Rasputin was not actually a monk. He spent some time in a monastery (never taking any religious vows), then went out preaching as a self- proclaimed "mystic"/"holy man". I suppose you find sadistic people everywhere, even monasteries, but I should think they'd be kicked out.

GOCPriestMark
Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: GOC-Metropolitan Kirykos

Post by GOCPriestMark »

Olympiada,

Some of what Orthodox Christian ascetics do might be considered sadistic to some. Perhaps, as Ludmilla said elsewhere, a study of Orthodox monasticism would be the most helpful for you. Without specific questions it is difficult to tell what you might consider sadistic. And some specific questions might be better asked via 'PM's

==+==+==+==+==+==+==+==+==+==+==+==+==

Priest Mark Smith
British Columbia

Olympiada
Jr Member

A Study of Orthodox Monasticism

Post by Olympiada »

Hello folks,
Sorry for the delay, spam blocker was working over time.
Well last night I realized I need to study Orthodox Monasticism because I was having a big problem with it. So where do I go to start? I have studied it many times and have many books, but this is something new, and I can not quite put my finger on it.
Olympiada 8)

TomS
Protoposter

Re: A Study of Orthodox Monasticism

Post by TomS »

Olympiada wrote:

Hello folks,
Sorry for the delay, spam blocker was working over time.
Well last night I realized I need to study Orthodox Monasticism because I was having a big problem with it. Olympiada 8)

One again. Why? Why are you so concerned about it? If it is a way of serving God as a person may see fit, why does it concern you?

----------------------------------------------------
They say that I am bad news. They say "Stay Away."