Stone

Reading from the Old Testament, Holy Gospels, Acts, Epistles and Revelation, our priests' and bishops' sermons, and commentary by the Church Fathers. All Forum Rules apply.
Olympiada
Jr Member

Stone

Post by Olympiada »

Greetings All,
Today, according to the New Calendar, is the feast day of Saint Eupemia the Great Martyr. I started thinking about martyrdom and how awful it is in my mind and where it came from. So naturally I thought of Saint Stephen the Protomatryr and how he was stoned to death. Wanting to know where that came from, I looked up the word stone in my concordance. The first relative reference is Numbers 15:35, "and all the congregation shall stone him with a stone".
See I knew stoning came from the OT, obviously as Jews stoned Saint Stephen. But why? Why does God allow and justify stoning? And beyond that is this scripture ever read according to the Orthodox lectionary? It was not listed in the index of The Bible and The Holy Fathers for Orthodox by Johanna Manley.
Thanks
Olympiada
"And behold, there was a man who had a withered hand. And they asked Him, saying, "Is it lawful to heal on the Sabbath?" -- that they might accuse Him."
Matthew 12:10

GOCPriestMark
Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: GOC-Metropolitan Kirykos

Re: Stone

Post by GOCPriestMark »

Olympiada wrote:

Why does God allow and justify stoning?

In His omniscience, God uses what methods He deems best for the situation, for the salvation of as many as possible. Sin leads to death. Sinners cut themselves off from the people of God.

Olympiada wrote:

And beyond that is this scripture ever read according to the Orthodox lectionary?

Which one, Numbers 15:35 or the account of the stoning of St. Stephen in the Acts?
I don't know about Numbers being read, but the account in the Acts is read for St. Stephen's feast day.

==+==+==+==+==+==+==+==+==+==+==+==+==

Priest Mark Smith
British Columbia

Olympiada
Jr Member

Stoning is for salvation?!

Post by Olympiada »

I don't agree with stoning for salvation. And I was asking if Numbers was in the lectionary or the liturgical music of the Church.

GOCPriestMark

Re: Stoning is for salvation?!

Post by GOCPriestMark »

Olympiada wrote:

I don't agree with stoning for salvation.

No one is asking you to agree, but stoning was commanded for certain sins. God had a purpose for it. So to understand this we need to search out the ways of God more fully.

Olympiada wrote:

And I was asking if Numbers was in the lectionary or the liturgical music of the Church.

Not as far as I know. For what reason would you be asking?

Priest Mark Smith
British Columbia

Olympiada
Jr Member

Stoning for what sins?

Post by Olympiada »

What sins warranted being stoned to death? How does the Orthodox Church deal with Numbers. I want to know. I am having a hard time with my religion.

GOCPriestMark

Post by GOCPriestMark »

But you are the one who quoted Numbers Chapter 15:
29 Ye shall have one law for him that sinneth through ignorance, [both for] him that is born among the children of Israel, and for the stranger that sojourneth among them.

1. But the soul that doeth [ought] presumptuously, [whether he be] born in the land, or a stranger, the same reproacheth the LORD; and that soul shall be cut off from among his people.
    31 Because he hath despised the word of the LORD, and hath broken his commandment, that soul shall utterly be cut off; his iniquity [shall be] upon him.
    32 And while the children of Israel were in the wilderness, they found a man that gathered sticks upon the sabbath day.
    33 And they that found him gathering sticks brought him unto Moses and Aaron, and unto all the congregation.
    34 And they put him in ward, because it was not declared what should be done to him.
    35 And the LORD said unto Moses, The man shall be surely put to death: all the congregation shall stone him with stones without the camp.
    36 And all the congregation brought him without the camp, and stoned him with stones, and he died; as the LORD commanded Moses.

It is obvious what God commanded then and no doubt He had His reasons, but now we have repentance and penances, not stoning.

Don't give up trying to understand - pray more, read more.

Priest Mark Smith
British Columbia