Monks and Sexual Desire

News about traditional Orthodox monastics and how these monks and nuns are living out their vocations in monasteries and convents. All Forum Rules apply. No polemics. No heated discussions. No name-calling.

Moderator: Mark Templet

Olympiada
Jr Member

Monks and Sexual Desire

Post by Olympiada »

Ok, new question. What does a monk do when he feels sexual desire? And does sexual desire disappear or do some monks have to battle it their whole lives?
I was told when infatuated not to fight or feed it. If I think this applies to monks and sexual desire then how to do they make peace with their sexual desire? It seems foolish to me to become a monk if you have sexual desire. It seems better to me to marry. Then again someone could become a monk out of a desire to repent. However this could also be shame and self-hatred and internalized contempt.
I was told that a man could not become a monk if he disdained marriage, if I remember correctly. This is a greatly confusing subject to me. I am going to leave it at that for now...I need help to unwind this tangled skein.

buzuxi

Post by buzuxi »

theres a good conversation on that by an athnite monk and a secular Orthodox in the book mountain of silence by Kyriacos Markides

Olympiada
Jr Member

The Mountain of Silence

Post by Olympiada »

Where in that book? My choir director lent it to me. What page? Thanks.
Olympiada

buzuxi

Post by buzuxi »

its been a long times there maybe a few areas in the book that touches upon it. try pg 142-146

TomS
Protoposter

Re: The Mountain of Silence

Post by TomS »

Olympiada wrote:

Where in that book? My choir director lent it to me. What page? Thanks.
Olympiada

Probably will not fulfill your desire, Olympiada. There are no pictures.
:mrgreen:

----------------------------------------------------
They say that I am bad news. They say "Stay Away."

Olympiada
Jr Member

My desire?

Post by Olympiada »

I do not need pictures. I have my own in my own mind. I am a surrealist and a visionary and an artist. What are you talking about?
Olympiada :ohvey:

joasia
Protoposter
Jurisdiction: RTOC

Post by joasia »

Tom,

I have to admit...you are a quick whip. Despite myself, I do enjoy your contribution. :mrgreen:

I wish I could keep up.

Create in me a clean heart, O God, and renew a right spirit within me. (Ps. 50)