Going from OCA to ROCOR

DIscussion and News concerning Orthodox Churches in communion with those who have fallen into the heresies of Ecumenism, Renovationism, Sergianism, and Modernism, or those Traditional Orthodox Churches who are now involved with Name-Worshiping, or vagante jurisdictions. All Forum Rules apply. No polemics. No heated discussions. No name-calling.

Anthony

Going from OCA to ROCOR

Post by Anthony »

If a person was received in the OCA through chrismation, but not baptism and wanted to join ROCOR, does ROCOR accept the chrismation from the OCA? Thank you.

Herman

ROCORcutie

Post by ROCORcutie »

Herman...

Yes, ROCOR should receive such a person. I was in the GOA and received chrismation there, and was received into ROCOR through confession and communion. ROCOR even has an understanding with the MP and OCA that lay people from both jurisdictions can take communion at ROCOR churches, so receiving through chrismation and communion should not be a problem.

I hope this helped :)

Justin Kissel

Post by Justin Kissel »

From what I understand this varies somewhat depending on the ecclesiological position held by each priest/bishop, but generally I think that those coming to ROCOR from the OCA, Antiochians, GOA, etc. come in via confession/communion (I was Chrismated Antiochian and became ROCOR via confession/communion). I asked my (now) spiritual father about this issue before I became ROCOR, and this is part of what he said:

In my opinion, once someone has been admitted to Communion in the Orthodox Church, that person is an Orthodox Christian. This would be decided on a case-by-case basis, and the final decision is the Bishop's, to whom we appeal in all doubtful matters. The Russian Church Abroad has not declared any other jurisdiction to be without Grace, and we recognize the "validity" of the Sacraments of other jurisdictions.

Anthony

Post by Anthony »

Thank you, ROCORcutie and Paradosis for your replies!

Herman

TomS
Protoposter

ROCOR

Post by TomS »

As a member of the GOA, can I take communion in a ROCOR Church?

If so, would that be a problem with GOA?

----------------------------------------------------
They say that I am bad news. They say "Stay Away."

尼古拉前执事
Archon
Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Non-Phylitist

Welcome aboard!

Post by 尼古拉前执事 »

Tom, you would have to ask your priest if he would be upset, and as for receiving, you would also have to ask the priest in the ROCOR parish.

Herman, welcome to the forum. I hope you find it useful. May I ask if you are considering going from OCA to ROCOR?

Anthony

Re: Welcome aboard!

Post by Anthony »

Thank you for the welcome, Nicholas. Yes, I have been thinking of going from OCA to either ROCOR or the JP.

Herman

Nicholas wrote:

Herman, welcome to the forum. I hope you find it useful. May I ask if you are considering going from OCA to ROCOR?