Another big goof by the Holy Church Fathers...

DIscussion and News concerning Orthodox Churches in communion with those who have fallen into the heresies of Ecumenism, Renovationism, Sergianism, and Modernism, or those Traditional Orthodox Churches who are now involved with Name-Worshiping, or vagante jurisdictions. All Forum Rules apply. No polemics. No heated discussions. No name-calling.

OrthodoxyOrDeath

Another big goof by the Holy Church Fathers...

Post by OrthodoxyOrDeath »

Apparently, the Monophysite heresy was not the only close-minded fanatical sectarian act of the Holy Fathers, it appears the Nestorian heresy was also a "big misunderstanding"...

"..While the Church of the East never officially adopted the Nestorian teachings, however, Rome considered it 'Nestorian' hence, a 'heretical'..."

http://www.chaldeansonline.net/church.html

Arsenios
Jr Member

Post by Arsenios »

Strange \/ maybe none of the ancient heretics really believed what Christ through the Church condemned them as having believed. Maybe Christ was wrong to lead the Church into condemning them. :roll:

Anastasios
Sr Member
Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: GOC-Archbishop Kallinikos

Post by Anastasios »

This reply is going to be short and to the point, not well thought out, etc., cuz I am going to bed.

OOD, the "New Calendarist Ecumenistic World Orthodoxy Heretic" types do not believe that the modern Nestorian aka the Assyrian Church of the East are on par with the Non-Chalcedonians. In other words, there is NO attempts at reconciliation with them going on from the (Byzantine) Orthodox.

I asked one of my St. Vlad's profs, who is all gaga for union with the Non-Chalcedonians, why he didn't think that the Nestorians were just "using different words" as well, and his answer: "because no matter how they are phrasing it they are actually heretics." I add this so that you might understand that even the ecumenists are not above discernment.

You might ask about me personally. I actually have gone to the local Nestorian Church three times and enjoyed their worship. In reading some of their positions on the website www.cired.org I am convinced that they do in fact share a similar Christology BUT I believe there might be something far more grave in their separation than with the Non-Chals. Even if Christology is set aside, there is still the grave issue of their not calling Mary Theotokos.

--BUT--

If you read the articles on their website you will note something interesting. Mar Bawai Soro, one of their bishops, when asked why they do not accept Mary as Theotokos as promulgated by the council of Ephesus had this to say (paraphrased from an issue of Eastern Churches Journal): "You ask us why we did not accept Ephesus. The answer is we were not invited to it. You ask us why we do not accept it now. The answer is no one asks us to evaluate it. Maybe if you ask us to accept it we will." <------------------Q: Are we missing an evangelistic opportunity??

You might be intersted to know there used to be an Assyrian Rite Orthodox Church (aka an Assyrian Uniate Church tacked on to the Church of Russia). Communism knocked it out except one parish in Tehran where the ROCOR priest goes 1-4 times a year.

anastasios

Disclaimer: Many older posts were made before my baptism and thus may not reflect an Orthodox point of view.
Please do not message me with questions about the forum or moderation requests. Jonathan Gress (jgress) will be able to assist you.
Please note that I do not subscribe to "Old Calendar Ecumenism" and believe that only the Synod of Archbishop Kallinikos is the canonical GOC of Greece. I do believe, however, that we can break down barriers and misunderstandings through prayer and discussion on forums such as this one.

Justin Kissel

Post by Justin Kissel »

:(

Anastasios
Sr Member

Post by Anastasios »

Justin,

Could you please ellaborate on what you are sad about in this post?

anastasios

Disclaimer: Many older posts were made before my baptism and thus may not reflect an Orthodox point of view.
Please do not message me with questions about the forum or moderation requests. Jonathan Gress (jgress) will be able to assist you.
Please note that I do not subscribe to "Old Calendar Ecumenism" and believe that only the Synod of Archbishop Kallinikos is the canonical GOC of Greece. I do believe, however, that we can break down barriers and misunderstandings through prayer and discussion on forums such as this one.

Justin Kissel

Post by Justin Kissel »

What you quoted from the Eastern Churches Journal made me sad. But your question following it made me even sadder, as though you really think Orthodoxy has again dropped the ball, and now maybe we can pick it up and go for a touchdown (=an evangelistic opportunity). Their was contact in the early Church with them, including formal union attempts; there are reasons that they couldn't come into communion, and the reasons are not all political and nationalistic.

Anastasios
Sr Member

Post by Anastasios »

Justin,

I think both are positive which is why I am confused.

The quote: you have a bishop explicitly saying they will consider accepting Ephesus if someone will take the time to go over it with them in a council or discussion. This is exactly the opposite of what the Orthodox and Non-Chalcedonians are talking about (ie unions ignoring Chalcedon).

My comment: a legit question as to whether Orthodox are dropping the ball; it has nothing to do with whether Orthodoxy is true or what not but whether PRACTICALLY this is a chance to get a separate group to accept the Orthodox faith in its entirety. 100 years ago such a partial union happened; these people are open to the truth, so go for it!

anastasios