Oblature, Third Orders, &c.

News about traditional Orthodox monastics and how these monks and nuns are living out their vocations in monasteries and convents. All Forum Rules apply. No polemics. No heated discussions. No name-calling.

Moderator: Mark Templet

The Apostate

Oblature, Third Orders, &c.

Post by The Apostate »

I was talking about the Benedictine Oblature to an online friend of mine in Greece, and the concept of lay people adopting a portion of a monastic rule acording to their daily lives was something with which he was completely unfamiliar, whereas for me, living in Britain, and having grown up in the West, it is simply part and parcel of the monastic tradition.

Is it the case that monasteries that follow the Rule of St Basil (which, I believe, is predominant in the East, and covers most monasteries in Orthodoxy) generally do not make provision for any sort of "Third Order" in the way that monasteries of the Rule of St Benedict (and others) do?

Many thanks.

spiridon

Post by spiridon »

because we as Orthodox Christians are called to live at all times as Orthodox Christians,therefore third orders arent necessary. in fact if one is so Blessed to be near or able to visit a monastery- one is directly connected to that Prayer House.
there a re a couple of groups like.
B.O.S.S. (Brotherhood Of St. Seraphim)
and also St.Nektarios Brotherhood and many many more. and Ive mentioned before if we live as Orthodox Christians are called to live, there will be no room or time for Third order fellowship.

First, and Last, and Always
in CHRIST

The Apostate

Post by The Apostate »

Many thanks, spiridon.

I do understand and agree that ideally, we should be at all times and in all places living a thoroughly Orthodox life. However, the reality is that very few of us do, and that many people find it extremely beneficial on their path of salvation to know that they are part of a specific group of people striving to adopt part of a monastic rule and supporting each other in doing this.

One could just as easily say that because we are called to live as Orthodox Christians all the time anyway, monasticism is unnecessary, but I doubt that anybody would make that claim.

My purpose here isn't to debate the rights and wrongs of Third Orders. The fact is that they exist within Orthodoxy. My purpose is simply to find out whether monasteries of the Basilian tradition also make this provision. Does anybody know?

Many thanks.

spiridon

Post by spiridon »

Michael A said "One could just as easily say that because we are called to live as Orthodox Christians all the time anyway, monasticism is unnecessary, but I doubt that anybody would make that claim. "

no one says that monasticism isnt necessary, and I never "SIMPLY" say Im called to live as an Orthodox Christian...you would be very surprised at the many numbers of people that do live a Strong Orthodox life, and for me Orthodox is a great struggle, although I am not living a monastic life- the only difference is my relaxed prayer rule, and working and everyday contact with the world... you either are a monastic or you are not, that is the Simpleness of it- Black and White , neither is greater
but both are called to do their part as Orthodox Christians, that is why there is no need for it. if you notice and look at the figures of the latin church, monasticism compared to laity is very off scaled, this is no secret that many assume they can take on the role of monaticism in the world as a third order member- thus the lack of latin church monasterys are low ,compared to the number of laity.
the sad thing is ,that instead of taking up one
s Cross in a monastery , it has been replaced with the incidious thought the one can let the world pick up and help you with your cross ,as a third order member...
and this isnt a debate this is two people discussing the difference, as Ive discussed this already with monastic Orthodox, and there reply was that it wasnt necessary if we lived an Orthodox life, we are already Blessed and close to God and the monastic life is also Blessed and close to God...

First, and Last, and Always
in CHRIST

The Apostate

Post by The Apostate »

So do Basilian monasteries make provision for this?

That's all I'm asking.