Vespers and Matins for Chinese Martyrs

Discuss the holy Mysteries and the liturgical life of the Church such as the Hours, Vespers, Matins/Orthros, Typica, and the Divine Liturgy. All Forum Rules apply. No polemics. No heated discussions. No name-calling.
drewmeister2
Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: GOC/HOTCA

Vespers and Matins for Chinese Martyrs

Post by drewmeister2 »

http://www.orthodox.cn/liturgical/Servi ... yrs_en.htm

Service to the Holy Martyrs of China
Whose memory is celebrated June 10
Composed by the Holy Transfiguration Monastery
VESPERS
For ‘Lord, I have cried,' we allow for four verses and chant the following Stichera:

Fourth Tone. Thou who wast called from on high

Rejoice, O Father Metrophanes, with great joy, * who didst shepherd well the flock of Christ in times of peace, * and fleddest not when the wolves appeared, * as doth the hireling; * but as a good shepherd standing by his flock, * thou didst gather many of thy sheep around thyself, * and when the savage wolves slaughtered thee, * thou thereby leddest * the sheep that faithfully followed after thee * unto the pasturelands of Paradise, * there where one is the flock, one the Shepherd, Christ, * He to Whose voice ye hearkened; * Who hath given you eternal life.

The ancient dragon fell writhing to perdition * when ye pierced him through with the sharp saber of the truth; * he that made darkness his dwelling-place * fled from your brilliance. * For in a land that he thought was his alone, * how he raged to see the Cross and truth of Christ revered! * And in his frenzy, he roared at you * to bow to idols; * but then he learned your great faith and love for God, * and when he slew you, he himself was slain * by your valiant confession and martyrdom * and your greatness of spirit * and forgiveness of your murderers.

When ye were slaughtered and shed your blood on China, * then did a new dynasty arise majestically, * not one that falleth with time and change, * but that endureth; * for ye abide in a mighty palace now, * not one wrought by hand of man, tricked out with paint and gold, * but with eternal foundation-stones * laid by the Most High; * wherein His righteousness dwelleth and His truth, * where the assembly of the first-born Saints * praise His name with the awesome thrice-holy hymn, * clad in garments of pure white, * which were washed in the blood of the Lamb.

Since ye would not offer incense unto idols, * ye yourselves were offered as sweet incense to the Lord * and an acceptable sacrifice * and spotless victims; * and since ye hearkened not to your slayers' threats, * ye have been deemed worthy of the Angels' songs on high, * their holy dinning and joyous roar * and thund'rous praises; * and as ye join their resounding hymnody, * make intercession in behalf of us * who with frail tongues of clay praise your martyrdom * and your forcible entry * into Heaven through your hallowed blood.

Glory. Third Tone

Shout with jubilation unto the Lord, all the earth; sing unto Him that in every nation hath revealed His righteousness. Rejoice, O land of China; for thou hast seen His salvation. Thine earth hath been watered with the blood of Martyrs; thy gloom hath been dispersed by the truth of Christ. Thy children now stand in the courts of the Lord, and they intercede with the Almighty God to have mercy on the world that He hath fashioned.

Both now. Theotokion

How can we not marvel at thy theandric Offspring, O all-revered one? For without experience of wedlock, thou, O all-blameless one, hast brought forth in the flesh a fatherless Son, Who was born motherless of the Father before the ages, and Who in no way suffered change or intermingling or division, but preserved in their entirety the properties of each essence. Wherefore, O Lady, Virgin Mother, do thou entreat Him that the souls of them that, in Orthodox manner, profess thee to be God's Birthgiver may be saved.

If an Entreaty be desired, chant the following:

First Tone

O Lord, fulfilled is the psalm that saith, All the ends of the earth have seen the salvation of our God. For Thou hast taken to Thyself on this day new confessors from the land of China; and unto them we cry: Rejoice, O Metrophanes, thou good and faithful servant, who hast toiled strenuously in the vineyard of thy Lord, and hast watered it with thine own blood. Rejoice, O Tatiana, for when thou wast beheaded, the Lord put into thy mouth a new song, a hymn unto thy God. Rejoice, O soldier Esaias; thou didst receive one stroke of the sword, wherewith thou didst fell all the ranks of the enemy. Rejoice, O John, for the ancient foe hath been mocked by thy tender years. Intercede ye with God in our behalf.

Same Tone

O Lord, fulfilled is the psalm that saith, The heathen shall be troubled, and the dwellers at the farthest regions shall be afraid at Thy signs. For Thou hast made the outgoings of Thy Martyrs to delight, and unto them we cry: Rejoice, O Maria; with the virgins thou hast followed after the Theotokos, and hast been brought unto the King. Rejoice, O Paul, for nothing was able to separate thee from the love of Christ. Rejoice, O Ia, who with thine upright confession hast slain the twisted dragon. Intercede ye with God in our behalf.

Same Tone

O Lord, fulfilled is Thy word that saith, Other sheep have I, which are not of this fold. They have heard Thy voice, and unto them we cry: Rejoice, O Clement, who in embracing the foolishness of God, didst prove thyself wiser than the sages revered by thine ancestors. Rejoice, O Anna, who hadst no fear of them that kill the body. Rejoice, O Matthew and Vitus: for from the womb ye came forth brethren in the flesh, and from the sword ye came forth brethren of Jesus. Intercede ye with Him in our behalf.

Glory. Same Tone

Rejoice, O China, for though thou wast grown old in the wickedness of idols, thy youth hath been renewed as the eagle's, in the marvellous blood of thy Martyrs. Rejoice, all ye Martyrs of China, for in you is fulfilled the word that saith, Because of His servants shall the Lord be comforted. Since ye spurned the idols of the nations, ye now bless the Lord with all the house of Israel. Intercede ye with Him in our behalf.

Both now. Theotokion

Rejoice, O Lady Theotokos, for through thy wondrous conceiving, thou hast destroyed the great wall of enmity that stood between God and man.

For the Aposticha, the following Stichera:

First Tone. O all-lauded Martyrs

O China, in thee hath been fulfilled * the divine prayer of the Great King Who took on Him the sins of all the people and besought * for a goodly harvest * that would gladden all the earth, * for now, behold, a harvest of Martyrs hath been reaped from thine own seed; * and they pray to Him that prayed for them * to grant mercy * unto thee and all the world.

Verse: Wondrous is God in His saints.

As strangers to them estranged from God, * ye lived all your lives as strangers in a strange land for love of Him that suffered for your sakes. * Ye were mocked and hated * and estranged from life itself; * but now with them that come from the east and west ye sit with Abraham * in the Kingdom, not as strangers now, * but as children * of the Light that ye adored.

Verse: In the saints that are in His earth hath the Lord been wondrous.

O little, O humble Galilee, * dost thou see how far the nets cast by thy sons, the poor fishermen, have gone forth and prevailed? * Spanning times and ages, * they reach all the ends of earth; * and now we all rejoice in a great and holy catch from China's sea; * and the Martyrs intercede with Christ * to grant mercy * unto all that sing their praise.

Glory. Plagal of Fourth Tone

Ye are the glory of the martyrs and the joy of the angels; ye are the boast of the Orthodox and the purification of China; ye are the comfort of the faithful and the downfall of demons; ye are servants no longer, but Christ calleth you brethren, who have laid hold on adoption through the violence ye suffered. Ye are bold intercessors for us sinners, who cry to you: Intercede with the Lord, that He have mercy on our souls.

Both now. Theotokion. O most awesome wonder

Being in darkness, I cry to thee: * O Lady, lighten my ways, * for I know that the lamp of love * and compassion lit in thee * never dimmeth, despite my sins. * For in the flesh that He took from thy pure womb, * the Unapproachable Light shone on the world; * and He bestowed on thee * all the brightness of His mercy and His love for man, * which thou freely grantest unto them that turn to thee.

Or, Theotokion of the Cross

As Thy Mother saw Thee on the Cross, * she cried in bitter lament: * When Thou madest the stars, O Child, * all Thine Angels praised Thy name * with a loud voice that shook the heights. * But now beholding their Master crucified, * they are struck dumb with great terror and dismay. * O Sun of Righteousness, * when wilt Thou rise up again with Thy sweet light, * driving all the gloom of sorrow from Thy Mother's heart?

DISMISSAL HYMN
Third Tone. Awed by the beauty

Let us the flock of Christ with love and piety * now glorify with hymns and truly joyous odes * the faithful Martyrs of the truth who suffered for Christ in China. * For having confessed the Faith, * they all bravely went unto death * as lambs which were sacrificed * for our Shepherd and Master Christ. * And therefore to the Martyrs we cry out: * Remember us all, who sing your praises.

MATINS
After the usual Reading from the Psalter, we say the Canons of the Octoechos and the following of the Saints. Before the Troparia, we say, O Martyrs of Christ, intercede in our behalf.

Plagal of Fourth Tone

ODE ONE
The charioteer of Pharaoh

Constrained by love and ardent longing, we the faithful chant our praises to you, * the glory of China, * who illumined all the world with bright martyric beams of light; * grant our mind your enlightenment, and our tongue, grace to chant to you * as befitteth Martyrs belov'd of God.

Now are ye truly sons of Heaven, who were proved through persecutions and pains; * for some were dismembered, * others, burnt alive, beheaded, or tormented unto death. * But with all of the Martyrs that have contested from ages past, * ye rejoice as children of God Most High.

Ye loved the wisdom of the Lord, and built thereon the steadfast house of your souls; * the fierce rains descended * and the winds of torments beat upon it, yet it never fell, * being built not on sand, but upon the Rock of the Saviour Christ, * Whom ye glorified in your martyrdom.

Theotokion

The mind of man cannot conceive how thou, O Lady, hast conceived without man, * remaining a virgin, * giving birth to Him born motherless of God before all time; * but when thou wast delivered of the small Babe that is God and man, * we were all delivered from Adam's curse.

ODE THREE
Of the vault of the heavens

As a lover of meekness and faithful priest of the Lord, * thou didst seek for peace with all men, O blessed Metrophanes, * and for the God of peace * didst give thyself up to slaughter * as a wholly blameless, acceptable sacrifice.

Thou, O noble Tatiana, wast taken out of the gates, * there to meet thy Jesus, Who also suffered without the gate; * and for the Head of all, * thou wast then gladly beheaded; * with the Blood of Jesus hast thou now been sanctified.

Thou, O valiant Esaias, wast a good soldier of Christ. * Thou, O John, wast led like a lamb to slaughter courageously; * though but a child in years, * above thine elders in wisdom, * thou didst suffer torments for Christ with great fortitude.

Theotokion

Mighty waters of weeping do thou now grant unto me, * wherewith I may wash clean my soul, made vile with the filth of sin. * For thou hast given birth * unto the Ocean of mercy, * Who appeared to men as a man from thy spotless womb.

Heirmos

Of the vault of the heavens art Thou, O Lord, Fashioner; * so, too, of the Church art Thou founder; do Thou establish me * in unfeigned love for Thee, * Who art the height of things sought for, * and staff of the faithful, O Thou only Friend of man.

SESSIONAL HYMN
Plagal of Fourth Tone. By conceiving the Wisdom

Though once wholly benighted in pagan gloom, * China now hath beheld the bright truth of Christ, * which shone in Metrophanes * and the Martyrs that shared his death; * for the lovers of darkness, who slew them to quench their light, * with their torments enkindled a brighter and greater flame, * which burnt up delusion and enlightened the whole world. * And now at the throne of light * in the presence of Christ the King * they all give ear to us that cry: * Intercede with Christ our God * that forgiveness of all their transgressions be * vouchsafed to them that with longing * keep your holy memory.

Glory; both now. Theotokion

O rejoice, Maid, thou fiery throne of the Lord * and the royal chair made for the King of all; * and couch spread with purple cloth, * golden chamber of porphyry, * robe of genuine purple and lightning-like chariot, * temple honoured and precious, and lampstand of many lights. * Rejoice, O Theotokos, mighty city of twelve walls, * fair gateway wrought all of gold, * bridal chamber of stately form, * comely table of fairest gold * and dwelling-place divinely adorned, * O rejoice, thou sun-drenched and resplendent Bride, * rejoice, O Virgin, for thou art * my soul's only comeliness.

Or, Theotokion of the Cross

On beholding the Shepherd and Lamb of God * hanging nailed to the Cross, the all-pure one wept; * her inwards were rent with grief * and she wailed out maternally: * Woe is me! O Thou Light of the world, O my God and Lord, * for whose sake dost Thou willingly now undergo these things? * wishing thus by all means to save all of the earthborn, * that Thy ruined image might * change abode and remove unto * the divine life that is on high. * I magnify Thy suff'rings, O Lord, * which Thou bearest for Thy great compassion's sake; * for by Thine own pains Thou healest * all of mankind's pains and griefs.

ODE FOUR
I have hearkened and heard

Like the sun rising with the day * have the brilliant Martyrs arisen in the East, * and although their flesh hath set on earth, * with their souls they dwell in everlasting light.

Righteous Father Metrophanes, * as a faithful shepherd of the Good Shepherd, Christ, * thou didst lay thy life down for thy sheep, * leading them to pastures that are ever green.

Let all China, if she be wise, * leap and be exultant with great exceeding joy, * for no longer is she barren now, * for her womb hath borne much fruit unto the Lord.

Theotokion

Thou hast turned sorrow into joy; * thou hast slain despair and re-opened Paradise; * thou hast changed our curse to blessedness; * thou hast given birth unto the Saviour, Christ.

ODE FIVE
Wherefore hast Thou deprived me

In imperial garments * are ye all arrayed, and ye dwell in that city now: * not the one forbidden, * but the lofty Jerusalem that is free; * wherefore as ye bow down * before the Sovereign of the ages, * importune His compassion in our behalf.

O what excellent beauty! * The grace that is given you from the Creator now! * O what artless fairness! * O the comeliness giving no satiety! * Lo, the very Angels * all gaze upon you with great longing, * and they praise Him that thus crowned your love for Him.

Trading little for great things, * ye bartered your blood for the Kingdom that hath no end. * Wherefore, in like manner, * these our little laudations do ye receive, * granting what is greater, * your great and mighty intercessions, * that we too might inherit that which ye have.

Theotokion

Never maiden was fairer, * and never a soul so supernally innocent; * never was the creature * so well-pleasing to Him that created it; * never did a virgin * become a mother, save our Lady, * while abiding in perfect virginity.

ODE SIX
Entreaty

The monster of sinful habit holdeth me * in his foul and lightless belly, O Martyrs; * but with the blows of your prayers do ye smite him, * that he may spew me forth up to a better life, * that through repentance I may find * the inheritance promised to godliness.

O Ia, thou didst endure a double death; * once and twice wast thou tormented and tortured, * but thou with joy didst confess Christ the Saviour * as being twofold in nature, both God and man. * And for thy voluntary wounds, * Christ hath made thee to share His Divinity.

As brethren according to your flesh and blood, * in martyric blood ye also are brethren, * who showed no mercy unto your own bodies * that ye might win for your souls everlasting life; * and now ye dwell in unity, * blessed Matthew and Vitus, with all the Saints.

Theotokion

A vesture of shame and sorrow and disgrace * hath been draped upon me by the deceiver, * who through my folly and base love of pleasure * hath stripped me naked of glory and innocence. * O thou in whom God put on flesh, * wash me clean now and clothe me in purity.

Heirmos

Entreaty do I pour forth unto the Lord, * and to Him do I proclaim all my sorrows, * for many woes fill my heart to repletion, * and lo, my life unto Hades hath now drawn nigh; * like Jonas do I pray to Thee: * Raise me up from corruption, O Lord my God.

KONTAKION
Fourth Tone. On this day Thou hast appeared

The divine Metrophanes * the martyred shepherd, * with his great and faithful flock, * have hallowed China with their blood; * wherefore we praise them with sacred hymns, * for they were faithful to Christ even unto death.

OIKOS
In times gone by, O my Maker, many were the merchants that came from Cathay bearing spices and silks and silver vessels; but Thou, Who art not a merchant, but the Pearl of great price, Whom also godly Zacharias calleth Orient, hast now brought thence no such thing, nor aught that moth and rust doth corrupt, but living Martyrs and confessors of Thy name. Now are they truly celestial citizens, and the Angels are their friends, for when the time of trial came upon them, they desired not the day or rest of man, but were faithful to Thee even unto death.

Synaxarion

On the tenth of this month we commemorate the holy Martyr Metrophanes Tsi-Chung, priest of the Orthodox Mission in Peking; his wife Tatiana and their sons Esaias and John; Maria, the betrothed of Esaias; Paul Wan, Mission catechist; Ia Wen, teacher at the Mission School; Matthew Hai Tsuan and his brother Vitus; Clement Kui Kin; Anna Chui; and two hundred and eleven other holy Martyrs with them that were slain by the godless in the year 1900 during the Boxer Rebellion in China.

Verses

When baked in the mystical furnace of torments,

Your clay was transformed into vessels of glory.

On the tenth Christ's Table was adorned with the finest of China.

ODE SEVEN
The three Hebrew Children

How shall I praise thee, O Maria, * and the valour of thy willingness for suff'rings? * Having helped others flee, * thou fleddest not thy slayers, * but boldly soughtest martyrdom * with sublime and boundless courage.

Nought could be vainer than the vict'ry * that your slayers gained by shattering your vessels; * for your clay shall arise * transfigured and resplendent, * refashioned by the Potter, Christ, * in the image of His glory.

Having instructed by thy teachings, * at the last thou taughtest by thy noble suff'rings; * and with prayer on thy lips, * thou wentest to thy Teacher, * Who taught thee how to bear His Cross, * and Who loved thee, O divine Paul.

Theotokion

Daily I fall into transgressions, * yea, and daily doth thy kindness help me rise up; * how can I pay my debt, * and how begin to thank thee, * O Lady, for the constancy * of thy love shown to a sinner?

ODE EIGHT
Let us ever extol

In the great Expectation of the nations * did ye trust with a trust that death itself withstood not; * and now as sons of Jacob and of Abraham, * with the hosts of martyrs, * angels, and apostles, * ye shine with joy and glory.

Clement, Anna, and ye whose names God knoweth, * ye confessors of Christ that graced the land of China, * remember us that faithfully remember you, * and entreat the Saviour * for our sins' forgiveness * and mercy when He cometh.

Like a bride fair arrayed in nuptial glory * doth the Church now rejoice in you, her comely Martyrs; * for having pledged your troth in wounds of martyrdom, * ye received the earnest * of the everlasting * espousal of the Bridegroom.

Theotokion

Since the hosts of the Heavens ever praise thee, * nay, since God, even God, hath loved and glorified thee, * what could it be to have the praises of a wretch? * Yet, in thy compassion, * pass not o'er in silence * the praise of me, a sinner.

Heirmos

Let us ever extol and praise the Lord God * Who was seen of old on the holy mount in glory, * Who by the fiery bush revealed the great mystery * of the Ever-virgin and undefiled Maiden * unto the Prophet Moses.

ODE NINE
The heavens were astonished

The tyrants for a season held sway on earth, * but as men, they have perished; behold, their place cannot be found; * as for you, ye reign in eternal light. * And time cannot remove your crowns * nor shall others come forth to take your place; * the glory of the Martyrs * is stablished firm for ever * upon the firm foundation-stone of Christ.

As we now kiss your icon with fervent love, * and seek after your succour in all the hardships of this life, * lighten ye our burden, which presseth down; * and mortify our carnal mind, * shine the fear of God in our sinful hearts, * that by your intercessions * and love and strong protection, * we all may find repentance ere the end.

No hymn can praise your greatness and not fall short, * but accept these our hymns with the love whereby they were inspired; * be with us throughout all our earthly life; * and when the hour of death arrive, * come ye, stand beside us, receive our souls; * defend us from accusers, * and in the day of judgment * entreat the Lord to overlook our sins.

Theotokion

O comeliness of Jacob, whom God hath loved, * whom He chose for Himself as the way whereby He dwelt with men, * Virgin Theotokos, disdain us not; * for though our sins exceed the sands, * nothing can exceed thine exceeding love; * thy childbirth passeth nature, * thy mercy passeth telling; * the only greater love than thine is God's.

Heirmos

The heavens were astonished and stood in awe * and the ends of the earth, Maid, were sore amazed; for God appeared * bodily to mankind as very man. * And lo, thy womb hath proved to be * vaster and more spacious than heaven's heights. * For this, O Theotokos, * the choirs and assemblies * of men and Angels magnify thy name.

EXAPOSTILARION
Third Tone. While standing in the Temple's courts

Rejoice, Father Metrophanes, * with Tatiana, Esaias; * Maria, Paul, and John the child; * Clement, Anna, and Ia; * Matthew and Vitus and the rest, * ye whose names are known to God. * Do ye entreat Him to grant us * to perform His commandments, * that we all may find mercy * when He shall come in His glory.

Theotokion

The Prophet named Him Orient * Who dawned forth from a Virgin * as from a cloudless firmament * and brought light to the whole world * and shined His truth on East and West, * to the earth's remotest ends. * Now with the Mother that bare Him, * like to orient gemstones * cut and polished in torments, * the Martyrs blaze with His glory.

For the Praises we chant the following Stichera:

Second Tone. O house of Ephratha

Lo, in the farthest East, * there where the sun ariseth, * a host of brilliant Martyrs * hath dawned forth and illumined the whole world with the light of truth.

China, now put away * thine idols and thy sages, * and glory in thy Martyrs, * who hallow thee and cleanse thee of centuries of heathendom.

Righteous Metrophanes, * and all ye martyred with him, * entreat the King of Glory * to pardon us and grant us to be with you and all the Saints.

Glory. Plagal of Fourth Tone

Ye are the glory of the martyrs and the joy of the angels; ye are the boast of the Orthodox and the purification of China; ye are the comfort of the faithful and the downfall of demons; ye are servants no longer, but Christ calleth you brethren, who have laid hold on adoption through the violence ye suffered. Ye are bold intercessors for us sinners, who cry to you: Intercede with the Lord, that He have mercy on our souls.

Both now. Theotokion

Lady do thou receive the supplications of thy slaves, and deliver us from every affliction and necessity.

And the remainder of Matins, and the dismissal.

Megalynarion

China hath received your martyric bones; * Heaven, your elect souls * burning brightly with love of God. * And as we extol you * and laud your great confession, * we all receive divine joy, for ye stand in our midst.

Megalynarion of Saint Paul the Catechist

Having been the teacher of Christian truth, * valiant Paul the Martyr * also died for the Faith he taught; * hence he is called great now * in Christ's eternal Kingdom, * for truly he both kept and taught all his Lord's commands.

Orthodoxia i Thanatos

www.YouTube.com/GreekOrthodoxTV