England's Royal Family converting to Orthodoxy?

DIscussion and News concerning Orthodox Churches in communion with those who have fallen into the heresies of Ecumenism, Renovationism, Sergianism, and Modernism, or those Traditional Orthodox Churches who are now involved with Name-Worshiping, or vagante jurisdictions. All Forum Rules apply. No polemics. No heated discussions. No name-calling.

尼古拉前执事
Archon
Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Non-Phylitist

England's Royal Family converting to Orthodoxy?

Post by 尼古拉前执事 »

On another forum I read this:

And we know that Prince Philip, as I understand, has returned to Orthodoxy and that Prince Charles has become an Orthodox catechumen - Fr. Andrew Phillip writes about this on his English Orthodox site at Felixstowe.

At that site, all I found was this:

ON THE JUBILEE OF HER MAJESTY QUEEN ELIZABETH II

At this moment the whole nation is celebrating the fiftieth anniversary of the accession to the throne of Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II. Whatever we may think of the failings of individual members of the Royal House, the fact is that the monarchy in this country is one of the few remaining vestiges of Orthodox Christianity left to us.

• Orthodox Christian since the whole concept of Christian monarchy is one that has been inherited from the first Christian Emperors. It is not by chance then that the fiftieth anniversary celebration of Her Majesty's accession coincides with the Feast of St Constantine and St Helen.

• Orthodox Christian since Her Majesty is a blood descendant of such Orthodox Saints as St Edward the Martyr.

• Orthodox Christian since in the generation of Her Majesty's grandfather, no fewer than three close relatives are honoured by the Orthodox Church as martyrs: the martyred Emperor and Empress Nicholas and Alexandra and St Alexandra's sister, St Elizabeth the New Martyr, whose icon hangs on our icon-screen before us.

• Orthodox Christian since Her Majesty married into the Greek Orthodox Royal House. The Queen's husband, Prince Philip, is an Orthodox Christian. On widowhood, his mother became a devout Orthodox nun for whom an Orthodox chapel was established in Buckingham Palace. And when she passed away in 1969, she was buried alongside her above-mentioned relative, Queen Victoria's favourite grand-daughter, the New Martyr Elizabeth, in our convent in Jerusalem.

• Orthodox Christian since now the Prince of Wales, Her Majesty's eldest son, the heir to the throne, is much interested in the Orthodox Church.

Let us now then follow the injunction of the Apostle Paul and pray for the well-being and enlightenment of Her Majesty, of all the Royal House and of our whole land.

Does anybody know anything further about this?

MikhailM

Post by MikhailM »

It would be great news if true!

Denis

Re: England's Royal Family converting to Orthodoxy?

Post by Denis »

Nicholas wrote:

On another forum I read this:

And we know that Prince Philip, as I understand, has returned to Orthodoxy and that Prince Charles has become an Orthodox catechumen - Fr. Andrew Phillip writes about this on his English Orthodox site at Felixstowe.

At that site, all I found was this:

ON THE JUBILEE OF HER MAJESTY QUEEN ELIZABETH II

At this moment the whole nation is celebrating the fiftieth anniversary of the accession to the throne of Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II. Whatever we may think of the failings of individual members of the Royal House, the fact is that the monarchy in this country is one of the few remaining vestiges of Orthodox Christianity left to us.

• Orthodox Christian since the whole concept of Christian monarchy is one that has been inherited from the first Christian Emperors. It is not by chance then that the fiftieth anniversary celebration of Her Majesty's accession coincides with the Feast of St Constantine and St Helen.

• Orthodox Christian since Her Majesty is a blood descendant of such Orthodox Saints as St Edward the Martyr.

• Orthodox Christian since in the generation of Her Majesty's grandfather, no fewer than three close relatives are honoured by the Orthodox Church as martyrs: the martyred Emperor and Empress Nicholas and Alexandra and St Alexandra's sister, St Elizabeth the New Martyr, whose icon hangs on our icon-screen before us.

• Orthodox Christian since Her Majesty married into the Greek Orthodox Royal House. The Queen's husband, Prince Philip, is an Orthodox Christian. On widowhood, his mother became a devout Orthodox nun for whom an Orthodox chapel was established in Buckingham Palace. And when she passed away in 1969, she was buried alongside her above-mentioned relative, Queen Victoria's favourite grand-daughter, the New Martyr Elizabeth, in our convent in Jerusalem.

• Orthodox Christian since now the Prince of Wales, Her Majesty's eldest son, the heir to the throne, is much interested in the Orthodox Church.

Let us now then follow the injunction of the Apostle Paul and pray for the well-being and enlightenment of Her Majesty, of all the Royal House and of our whole land.

Does anybody know anything further about this?

I too am an Anglican and I must say such a perspective would be very welcome by parishoners such as myself. At the moment, the Church of England is seriously strained by a number of adherent who see faith in terms of symbols, archetypes, etc., and other (such as myself) who desire a spirituality much more in line with what is experienced in the Orthodox Church.

Yes, Prince Philip was born in the Orthodox Church and St Elizabeth is his aunt. In fact, a couple of years ago, a Statue of St. Elizabeth was erected at Westminster Abbey where it now proudly stand.

Seraphim Reeves

A question

Post by Seraphim Reeves »

Denis,

As an Anglican (who from what I can tell seems to be more "conservative" in his views...though "conservative" is not the best word I'm sure, as there is a great deal in Orthodoxy which in secular terms would seem "liberal" as well as "conservative"), how would you feel if tommorow the Archbishop of Canterbury said it is his intent to see the return of the Church of England to the Orthodox Church? Obviously, I doubt it would involve everyone in England becoming "byzantine", but it would certainly involve some profound changes.

I suppose part and parcel of your answer would involve how you felt about Orthodox Christianity. Given this, what do you think of Orthodox Christianity?

I'm also curious, as an outsider, as to what you think would happen within the Anglican communion if there were a serious move by senior primates (like the Archbishop of Canterbury) to re-unite with the Orthodox Church?

Seraphim

Denis

Re: A question

Post by Denis »

seraphim reeves wrote:

Denis,

As an Anglican (who from what I can tell seems to be more "conservative" in his views...though "conservative" is not the best word I'm sure, as there is a great deal in Orthodoxy which in secular terms would seem "liberal" as well as "conservative"), how would you feel if tommorow the Archbishop of Canterbury said it is his intent to see the return of the Church of England to the Orthodox Church? Obviously, I doubt it would involve everyone in England becoming "byzantine", but it would certainly involve some profound changes.

I suppose part and parcel of your answer would involve how you felt about Orthodox Christianity. Given this, what do you think of Orthodox Christianity?

I'm also curious, as an outsider, as to what you think would happen within the Anglican communion if there were a serious move by senior primates (like the Archbishop of Canterbury) to re-unite with the Orthodox Church?

Seraphim

Hi Seraphim,

Thanks for your answer,

Regarding the first question, I would feel very happy and comfortable to see the Church of England becoming part of the Orthodox Church: First, it would be a return to the original Church and joining a much larger communion which could comprise the Russian Church and the Greek Church; second, it would remove the royal family has head, which I feel they see has in conflict with their role as King/Queen of a multicultiral society; I think, thirdly, that the Queen taking such a stance would allow a solution for the very many differences of opinions which are affecting at the moment anglicanism: on one hand, it would allow "conservative" such as myself, to see a congragation not divided by such questions as homosexuality in the Church, the ordination of women as priests, and the new age "theology" that is a popular fad with a number of the clergy; in a way, the "modernists" would go their way because they would never want/could be Orthodox, and anglicans such as myself could join the very original christianity, where I believe Our Lord has been since the very beginning.
Also, in response to another suggestion, I think some congregations would love to see an integration of the byzantine liturgy which is the very original one. Mind you, the Anglican Church has a wealth of prayers/hymns in our own Liturgy that most would which to keep. The English of the old Book of Common Prayers, written at the same time as the King James Bibble, contain a very beautiful tradition of language. What would be my own personnal preference? The byzantine Liturgy done in King James English.

Denis

Serge

Post by Serge »

It

Denis

Post by Denis »

I have to say your analysis, which is very pragmatic, is rigth in the profound differences that separates anglicanism with orthodoxy. I do not dispute these facts but I was stating, in view of the first posting, what such a perspective could or would mean for a member of the Anglican Chirch of canada as myself. Maybe I should make clear why a person like me participates in a ROCOR board.

First, I always had a strong liking for history, which lead me through the years (about 10 years ago) in a number of readings about Byzantinium. One fact I learned, was of Russia as a truly spiritual inheritor of the byzantine faith and tradition. This lead me to a number of readings about Russia and Orthodoxy, one of which is "The Way of the Pilgrim", and other texts on the "Jesus Prayer" (my favorite of all prayers). I must add I was born and raised Catholic (French mother tounge), and became an Anglican later on through marriage.
Secondly, I throughly beleive the right church is the Orthodox Church but a number of circomstances make it difficult for me to attend. On the on hand, the churches in our area are either Greek or Russian speaking. I also hesitate in going because we don't know if a visit by my wife and I would be totally welcome. In fact, the tone of your answer is what we are ill at ease to encounter possibly at such a visit. I really do understand the shortcomings of my congregation, some of its protestant allures which I find unfortunate, and its past links with the Roman Church. However, the starting posting and the thread itself gave me a light of hope.

Hope this answer is not too negative,

wishing you and your family all the best in this New Year,

Denis