St. John Chrysostom and the Divine Liturgy

Discuss the holy Mysteries and the liturgical life of the Church such as the Hours, Vespers, Matins/Orthros, Typica, and the Divine Liturgy. All Forum Rules apply. No polemics. No heated discussions. No name-calling.
TomS
Protoposter

Post by TomS »

jckstraw72 wrote:

The literal interpretation of Genesis IS NOT IMPORTANT TO OUR SALVATION!

St. John Chrysostom:

Gimme a break. This is simply this guys opinion. According to him we should consider all Jews as evil.

Do you agree with his anti-semitic statements also, or do you simply pick and choose which of his writings are "inspired"?

----------------------------------------------------
They say that I am bad news. They say "Stay Away."

jckstraw72
Jurisdiction: OCA

Post by jckstraw72 »

Gimme a break. This is simply this guys opinion. According to him we should consider all Jews as evil.

Do you agree with his anti-semitic statements also, or do you simply pick and choose which of his writings are "inspired"?

that interpretation comes from poor translations, its more accurately hte Judaizers that he's talking about.

jckstraw72
Jurisdiction: OCA

Post by jckstraw72 »

Genesis tells us who man is, and why we need a savior.

in a literal interpretation man is a coherent unit of body and soul, with evolution the body long pre-existed the soul -- this dualism is a part of countless heresies. Origen held to the heresy that hte soul predates the body, well evolution just posits the opposite heresy.

Constantine

Post by Constantine »

How does TomS, have the audacity to refer to St. John Chrysostom as "this guy" . Perhaps TomS the ill-mouthed should show some respect to St John the Golden-mouthed. St John Chrysotom is one of the greatest Saints in the Orthodox Church and has written countless works, including lirturgy. What have you done TomS, to have the authority to refer to St.John Chrysostom as "this guy" and have any negative comments on any of his writings?

TomS
Protoposter

Post by TomS »

Mr.C wrote:

... and has written countless works, including lirturgy.

This is true -- and the Orthodox Church has sounded like a broken record ever since. I mean, c'mon, why are we stuck with this guys liturgy? day in and day out - it is BORING!

It is time to move on and understand that he was relevant for his time, but is no longer so relevant to today.

----------------------------------------------------
They say that I am bad news. They say "Stay Away."

Cyprian
Sr Member
Faith: Orthodox Christianity
Jurisdiction: GOC

Post by Cyprian »

Dearly beloved,

As the divine Chrysostomos was wont to say, "Glory to God for all things."

It seems as if the demonic powers were content when the exchanges here focused on profane and vain babblings, and oppositions of science falsely so called.

However, when some edifying sayings of the holy fathers began to be posted, the demonic powers were induced to cast aside their subtle inventions, resorting to outright slanders and revilings of God's holy saint.

"God is greatly to be feared in the assembly of the saints, and to be had in reverence of all them that are about him."

The divine Chrysostom stands before the throne of God, along with the six-winged seraphim and many-eyed cherubim.

O lovely and beloved successor of the apostles, St. John! What was it that our Saviour spake?

"He that heareth you heareth me; and he that despiseth you despiseth me; and he that despiseth me despiseth him that sent me."

Cyprian

ChristosVoskrese
Jr Member

Post by ChristosVoskrese »

TomS wrote:
Mr.C wrote:

... and has written countless works, including lirturgy.

This is true -- and the Orthodox Church has sounded like a broken record ever since. I mean, c'mon, why are we stuck with this guys liturgy? day in and day out - it is BORING!

It is time to move on and understand that he was relevant for his time, but is no longer so relevant to today.

If you think that the Divine Liturgy of St. John Chrysostom is "boring" then you do not truly understand what the Holy Liturgy really is. Heaven and earth are united in the Holy Liturgy! Christ Himself becomes present on the Holy Table and the faithful receive His Holy Body and Blood, which is necessary for salvation (see John 6:53)