Head Gear

Discuss the holy Mysteries and the liturgical life of the Church such as the Hours, Vespers, Matins/Orthros, Typica, and the Divine Liturgy. All Forum Rules apply. No polemics. No heated discussions. No name-calling.
Mark Templet

Head Gear

Post by Mark Templet »

I know that someone out there will know all about this stuff. I am interested in the Russian Orthodox traditions surrounding head gear, namely the Kamilavka and Skufiya (sp?).
What is the general rule of when to wear what?
I know that the Kamilavka is an award for married priests and deacons, but what do the different colors mean? I have seen red, burgandy, purple, blue, green, and black. What do these colors represent?
Does the color of the Skufiya always coicide with the Kamilavka (if awarded)?
I am aware that when a man is ordained to the diaconate he is usually automatically allowed to wear a black Skufiya, does he then wear a different color based on award?
One of your sharp individuals out there please break this down for me.

尼古拉前执事
Archon
Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Non-Phylitist

Post by 尼古拉前执事 »

Dear Mark,

Yes a deacon usually is given the black skufiya upon ordination, but he does not wear it inside the temple according to Russian custom. A deacon or priest only wears a skufiya inside the temple once he is awarded the "purple" (historically when he becomes a protodeacon, but today it can be awarded before this). Now the purple can be a red, blue, or green, depending on what rank his ruling bishop of his eparchy is.

So a protodeacon of a bishop or a vicar bishop wears purple, a protodeacon of an Archbishop wears red, a protodeacon of a Metropolitan wears blue, and a protodeacon of a patriarch wears green. This way his headgear matches the color of his eparchial bishop's mandiyas.

I hope that was helpful. Most just wear purple, but when there is variation, this is why. Likewise many who have been awarded "the purple" just choose to wear the black anyway, and if they are wearing it inside a church one would assume he has been awarded the purple or does not know any better. :-)

Mark Templet

Post by Mark Templet »

Yes, Thank you. That clears it up well for a deacon. Is this the same for married priests? Do they wear a purple (or deep red) Skufiya and Kamilavka when they have been awarded such? I have also seen pictures of priest wearing blue Kamilavka when the vestments were blue (presumably for a feast of the Theotokos), is this a custom allowed as well?

Thanks again for the information.

尼古拉前执事
Archon

Post by 尼古拉前执事 »

Dear Mark,

This would be the same for Russian archpriests in the older tradition, but these days some priests are awarded the purple before they receive the rank of archpriest. Either way the customary rules of when and where you can wear them is the same as for the deacons. However the skufiya and kamilavka are separate award these days, so one can wear whichever purple he has been awarded. Traditionally this is many years after ordination that this happens. The blue and blue may have just been a coincidence, as having kamilavkas or skufiyas of varying colors just to match vestments is something I have never heard of.

Mark Templet

Post by Mark Templet »

OK, great! Now just to clarify this so that I have it stright for good.
Basically, Deacons and Priest can wear a black skufiya (Outside of services) as soon as they are ordained.
A purple or violet colored skufiya, and later a Kamilavka of the same color, are awarded later and can be worn during services, according to the rubrics.
Protodeacons and Archpriests may wear other colors according to whom the serve under, i.e.
Bishop = Purple/Violet
Archbishop = Red/Claret
Metropolitan = Blue
Patriarch = Green

Bishops can also wear the appropriate colored skufiya or a black one when the Klobuk is not called for (outside of services), often with a diamond cross on it as an award, similar to having one on their Klobuk. I have seen pictures of Metropolitan Valentine with a blue skukiya on.

Now, I have also read that in pre-revolution Russia the linning of the sleeves on the outer cassock indicated the rank of the clergyman as well. Did those colors follow the same pattern as the above or was there another scheme?

Thanks again for informing me about this.

尼古拉前执事
Archon

Post by 尼古拉前执事 »

Yes Mark, you understand it. I am not sure on the colors of the lining, as I never found a document explaining this, but I would assume they would have matched that color scheme.

Mark Templet

Differences

Post by Mark Templet »

Does anyone know how the differences between the Greek style and Slavic style Kamilavka came to be?