St. Anthony the Great - A Page from the Life

An online Synaxaristes including martyrologies and hagiographies of the lives of the Orthodox Church's saints. All Forum Rules apply. No polemics. No heated discussions. No name-calling.
GOCPriestMark
Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: GOC-Metropolitan Kirykos

St. Anthony the Great - A Page from the Life

Post by GOCPriestMark »

The venerable Anthony, great among the Fathers, overcame every demonic temptation. He regarded the wicked spirits as beneath contempt and never succumbed to their tyranny. Frequently he beheld angels and devils with his physical eyes, witnessing how they concerned themselves with human affairs, each striving to incline men to their side. Being extremely advanced in virtue, he heaped scorn upon the wicked spirits and taunted them for having fallen from heaven and become inheritors of eternal hell-fire. Once, two demons were discussing prospects for successfully assailing the elder, but were forced to admit that he was more powerful than they and that their colleagues in evildoing were without exception terrified of him. This is understandable, since Anthony dealt harshly with the adversaries, having attained a high degree of dispassion and the utmost perfection, and become a vessel of the Most Holy Spirit. Then one fiend asked the other, "Brother Serepherus (for that was his name), if a demon repented, would God forgive him?"
Serepherus replied, "I do not know, but I can ask Anthony. He is unafraid of us and likely to know the answer."
"Go, brother, but be careful. The undertaking is dangerous, although worth the risk. Remember that the old man is clairvoyant, will understand that you are up to no good, and may call down God's aid in disposing of you."

Code: Select all

Serepherus appeared to the elder in the guise of a man, weeping and lamenting. God allowed him to assume this form because He wished to assure us that He never rejects the penitent, but accepts all who turn to Him, and would accept even the devil, the originator of evil, if he truly repented. At first the Lord did not reveal the identity of the demon, and not recognizing him as such, the venerable one inquired, "Who are you, man? Why so downcast?"
The wicked spirit answered, "Holy Father, I have committed so many sins I do not regard myself as a man, but as a demon."
Thinking Serepherus called himself a demon out of humility, the elder asked, "What can I do for you, brother?"
The demon replied, "I ask nothing, holy Father, except that you pray God fervently to reveal whether He would accept a penitent devil; and if so, whether He would accept me, for I have wrought deeds worthy of a devil"
"As you wish," said the elder. "Be on your way now and come back tomorrow. I will tell you what the Lord has made known."

That night the saint lifted his hands and prayed to the compassionate God, asking if He would forgive a remorseful devil.

Suddenly an angel appeared to the elder and declared, "The Lord our God wishes to know why you are praying for a demon."
"The enemy appeared as a penitent. Why did the Lord God conceal his true identity?" asked Anthony.
"Do not be troubled," the angel said reassuringly. "In His wondrous providence, God has permitted you to be misled, for the benefit of sinners. He wishes them to know that they ought not despair, regardless how greatly they have sinned, but should trust in repentance, since He is merciful and will accept anyone who turns to Him, even the devil himself. When the demon returns, feigning contrition and asking for an answer, do not respond harshly, but tell him, 'God is tenderhearted and never rejects penitents. He would pardon the devil himself and is ready to forgive you, if you are willing to obey Him.' When he asks, 'What does God command?' answer, 'Thus says the Lord: I know who you are and why you have come. Hardened in envy for so long, you are incapable of virtue; having instigated evil doing for centuries, you are not about to undertake good deeds now. How can you, being so obdurate in pride, humble yourself, ask forgiveness, and find clemency? Nevertheless, so that you will have no excuse on the Day of Judgment, saying that you wanted to repent but God would not have you, I, the good and long-suffering Lord, offer you an opportunity to demonstrate your sincerity. For three years you must remain standing in one place, facing east and repeating night and day in a loud voice, O God, forgive me mine ancient fall, a hundred times; then, O God, save me, darkened by deception, a hundred times; and then, O God, have mercy on me, the most despicable one, a hundred times. You must call upon Me unceasingly, something within your capacity, since you are bodiless. If you humbly fulfill the command, then I will restore you to your former estate, numbering you with the holy angels. Agree to nothing more, and I will accept your repentance; but again I say that it is impossible for you to be converted from evil to good after so long." The celestial messenger added, "Anthony, see to it that this is written down for generations to come, so that they may know not to despair of salvation, but to trust in repentance." So saying, the angel returned to heaven.

At dawn the devil was back, still in human form and lamenting loudly. He bowed before the elder, who did not confront him at once, but whispered, "O wicked demon, scorpion, author of evil, most treacherous and venomous serpent, you have reappeared, and to no good purpose." Then he announced, "I have prayed to my Lord, God Almighty, and He will accept your repentance if you do as I say."

"What did God command you to say?" asked the demon.
"The Lord requires the following: that you stand motionless for three years, facing east and repeating day and night, O God, forgive me mine ancient fall, a hundred times; then, O God, save me, darkened by deception, a hundred times; and then, O God, have mercy on me, the most despicable one, a hundred times. So doing, you will be restored to your former angelic rank."
At this Serepherus put aside all pretense of contrition, laughed contemptuously, and sneered, "Monk, if I were willing to admit to wrongdoing and call myself despicable and deceived, I would have done so long ago. I have no wish to be saved, for I am not fallen, but exceedingly glorious, commanding universal fear and obedience. Do you really think, O monk, that I would stoop to calling myself despicable and deceived? Never! I have power over sinners and they love me; I am enthroned in their hearts, and they walk in my ways. Do you imagine that I would become an abject slave, as repentance demands? No, loathsome elder; never, never! May I remain always in my exalted state and be spared such degradation." With this the devil screeched and disappeared.

Not in vain do we relate this story, brethren, but so that you may be assured of God's goodness and compassion. If He is ready to accept the devil's repentance, then how much more that of man, for Whom He allowed His blood to be shed? Are you a sinner? Then repent. Do you consider that you are not a sinner? Then you will be tormented forever in Gehenna, more severely than the demons, not because you have indeed sinned (for we have all transgressed, except God alone), but because you refuse to repent. Beseech the Judge to show mercy before it is too late, for death awaits us all. If you die without repentance, having pleased Satan by iniquities of every sort, you will be hurled into everlasting fire prepared for the devil and his angels. If, however, you flee sin and please God by repentance and confession before your end, you shall inherit indescribable blessings. Turn to the merciful Judge and render yourself worthy of exaltation and a dwelling with angels, where ineffable felicity abounds and there is eternal joy. May this be the lot of us all, through Christ Jesus our Lord, to Whom be glory, with the Father and the Holy Spirit, now and ever and unto the ages of ages. Amen.

The Great Collection of the Lives of the Saints - St. Dimitri Rostov - January 17 - pp270 - 274

==+==+==+==+==+==+==+==+==+==+==+==+==

Priest Mark Smith
British Columbia