Question on the Holy Fathers

Reading from the Old Testament, Holy Gospels, Acts, Epistles and Revelation, our priests' and bishops' sermons, and commentary by the Church Fathers. All Forum Rules apply.
nyc_xenia
Jr Member
Jurisdiction: Autonomous Orthodox Metropolia

Question on the Holy Fathers

Post by nyc_xenia »

I was hoping someone may be able to help me.

I recall having read something by one of the Holy Fathers. It began with the description of monks (I believe) being given great wings and how the wings represented their virtues.

Then a new group of men were given wings and they could barely lift themselves off of the ground because they unlike the previous fathers possessed very few virtues.

The story continues and points out that the later are those in the last times and that their great quality was that they were able to discern the truth in a world of apostasy.

Well, that's the gist of it anyway.

Any help to locate the actual text and author would be greatly appreciated.

Incognito1583

Post by Incognito1583 »

xenia,

that sounds familiar. Perhaps in the sayings of the desert fathers. I don't know. I'm sorry that your post was viewed 240 times and nobody had the kindness to try to help. God have mercy on this generation.

nyc_xenia
Jr Member
Jurisdiction: Autonomous Orthodox Metropolia

Post by nyc_xenia »

Incognito1583 wrote:

xenia,

that sounds familiar. Perhaps in the sayings of the desert fathers.

Yeah...I recall reading it a few times, but I can't recall where. I had wanted to use it as a quote in something I was writing, oh well.

I'm still trying to recall who wrote it.

Incognito1583

Post by Incognito1583 »

I would recommend you ask a priest or abbot. They might have an idea.

Maria
Archon
Faith: True Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: GOC

Re: Question on the Holy Fathers

Post by Maria »

Interesting.

I am bumping this thread so that someone may be able to provide the answer.

Lord Jesus Christ, have mercy on me a sinner.

Ephrem
Jurisdiction: FROC/ROAC

Post by Ephrem »

Here is the quote from the Apophthegmata Patrum, or the Sayings of the Desert Fathers. It mentions an Abba John, but it does not clarify any further. There were many who lived in Sketis, such as John the Dwarf, John of Thebes, John the Persian, etc., and all of them have teachings recorded in the Sayings.

This quote is from the second volume of The Paradise of the Holy Fathers, published in 1907 by Chatto & Windus:

Abba John used to say, that he saw in a vision one of the old men in a state of stupefaction, and behold, three monks were standing on the shore of a lake, and a voice came to them from heaven (or from the other shore of the lake), which said, "Take ye wings of fire and come to me"; and two of them took wings of fire and flew over to the other side, even as it was told them. Now the third remained behind, and he wept abundantly, and cried out, and at length wings were given to him also, but they were not of fire like those of his companions, for they were weak and feeble wings, and it was only with the greatest difficulty, and after dropping down into the water, and with most painful exertions that he reached the [opposite] shore. And even so is it with this generation, for although it taketh to itself wings, they are not the powerful wings of fire, but it forceth itself to take weak and feeble wings.

It was referred to by Bishop Ignatius (Brianchaninov) in his work, The Arena: An Offering to Contemporary Monasticism, under the chapter, "Troubles are the Special Lot of the Monks of the Last Time". The chapter argues that the intense ascetical labors practiced by the Fathers of the first millennium are not possible for Christians of contemporary times on account of our spiritual weakness and lack of spiritual leadership under genuine Elders (startsy). He argues that the patient enduring of afflictions and temptations are the unique podvig of our times. Patience and humility are more important than extreme attention to fasting and bodily asceticism, which can be harmful to us because of our weakness and our pride. Bishop Ignatius here is in complete agreement with the Optina Elders. Here is how Bishop Ingatius quotes the sayings:

The holy Fahers, the monks of the early times of Christianity, were perfect Christians filled with the Holy Spirit. They had revelations from Above and uttered prophecies about the monasticism of the last days. All these revelations or prophecies agree with one another and declare that the monasticism of the last times will have an extremely feeble life, that it will not be given that abundance of spiritual gifts which the first monks enjoyed, and that the monks of the last times will even find salvation itself only with great difficulty. A certain Egyptian fathers once went into ecstasy and became a witness of a spiritual vision. He saw three monks standing on the sea-shore. From the other shore he heard a voice: 'Receive wings and come to Me.' After the voice, two of the monks received fiery wings and flew across to the other shore. The third one remained where he was. He began to weep and wail. At last wings were given to him too, but not fiery ones--they were so weak that he flew across the sea only with great difficulty and trouble, often becoming so feeble that he sank in the sea. The first two monks represented the monasticism of early times, while the third represented the monasticism of the last times, poor in numbers and in accomplishments.

He goes on to quote further evidence from the Sayings and other sources.

Ephrem Cummings, Subdeacon
ROAC

Maria
Archon
Faith: True Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: GOC

Post by Maria »

Thanks for this information.

Lord Jesus Christ, have mercy on me a sinner.