Incognito 1583's own personal thread about whatever

Discuss Religious, Moral and Ethical topics that are offtopic to other forums and that are within the boundaries of Christian morality and good taste, i.e., no pictures or videos of killings. Any politically charged material must be posted in the private Political and Social Issues forum; please PM admin for access. All rules apply. No promotion of Non-Orthodox-Christian beliefs. No baiting, flaming, or ad hominems. No polemics.
Incognito1583

Post by Incognito1583 »

Forgive me a sinner. I apologize for my sins. Thank you.

Incognito1583

Re: Incognito 1583's own personal thread about whatever

Post by Incognito1583 »

I have a couple questions. Anyone can give a response.

Father Seraphim Alexiev said that if we don't confess every sin in detail, we can't be saved. But from what I understand, the ancient Church held Confession to a priest to be optional. This seems like a contradiction.

The Jordanville Prayer Book has a prayers where we ask for forgiveness for all sins of the senses -- sight, hearing, smell, taste and touch.

How could a person sin by smelling?

God told is what sin is in the Bible. He didn't say anything about smelling. Sometimes I feel like Orthodox people ad unnecessary burdens and rules on people.

Ian
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church of America

Re: Incognito 1583's own personal thread about whatever

Post by Ian »

Incognito1583 wrote:

The Jordanville Prayer Book has a prayers where we ask for forgiveness for all sins of the senses -- sight, hearing, smell, taste and touch.

How could a person sin by smelling?

God told is what sin is in the Bible. He didn't say anything about smelling. Sometimes I feel like Orthodox people ad unnecessary burdens and rules on people.

As the eyes are to lust, so smell and taste are to gluttony. Then there the various perfumes and calognes that are marketed as means of seduction and casual sex. Also, there are various perversions of the sense of smell that can lead poor souls to such lows as stealing unwashed clothing... to smell.