Monks Robes

News about traditional Orthodox monastics and how these monks and nuns are living out their vocations in monasteries and convents. All Forum Rules apply. No polemics. No heated discussions. No name-calling.

Moderator: Mark Templet

Incognito1583

Re: Monks Robes

Post by Incognito1583 »

In addition to how I believe the pagan culture effects spiritual life, I also believe diet effects our brain frequencies. I also speculate that electricity might also have effects on the brain.

Catherine5

Post by Catherine5 »

I entirely agree, though I see it as not remotely a pagan society - that's meant as a general statement maybe of un-Christian, but let's face it, the US and the Western nations as well as at least one to the East, we won't mention any names but they know who they are, are so thickly inhabited by demons that one might as well say that it''s a demonic-run one. There is NO culture in the US, and little in many of the nations who look up to the US and slavishly copy its dark styles of music, dress, etc.
Also I think that is the problem rather than "it's the last days" cop-out excuse. Tons of times in history there were predictions of the end of the world. I don't believe ANY of them. A Chastisement - yes - but the world ending? Come on~! There's something really discordant about all the Russian elders' apocalyptic prophecies, they never have rung true to me. I believe it's important to challenge rather passively accept what "everybody else" down the Orthodox street is saying is incredible or must be read.
Why do you see electricity as disturbing to brain waves? I think that's all right, but it's looking at these stupid advertisements on the computer that really damge the spiritual vision unless prayed against.

Cosmas
Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Post by Cosmas »

Having traveled down this road myself many years ago, I believe it is best to simply test your perceived calling to become a monk by making arrangements to experience daily life at the monastery of your choice. This could initially be nothing more than making a retreat of a week or longer, with their permission and invitation of course, during which time you commit yourself to fully embracing the daily regimen of the monastery by participating in all of the liturgical services, prayer devotions, and work responsibilities just as the monks do, maintaining the same schedule that they do in every way.

There is really no better way to determine whether a perceived calling to the monastic life is merely a delusion based upon the idea that spiritual life is somehow easier at a monastery, because it is not, or whether the monastic life is really what God calls you to do as the best path for your personal spiritual fulfillment. In this way, all doubt and conjecture is immediately removed through simple personal experience, and the path becomes clear either way.

If your complete immersion in the daily monastic life thus proves to be spiritually rewarding to you, and nonetheless attractive than before the experience, it would then be appropriate to seriously discuss the possibility of formally becoming a member of the community, and dressing accordingly as required. However, if you can't find joy and contentment at a monastery for even a brief period of time while wearing layman's clothing, you certainly won't find any greater fulfillment in the monastic life as a properly garbed monk, or by merely wearing monk's clothing at home outside a monastery!

Cosmas

Cerafim

Post by Cerafim »

Be very careful about taking this step. Only those given a special blessing to wear monastic garb, even the simple garb of a novice, should wear this symbolic garment. Just be patient and let things progress in God's own time.

Reader Seraphim

Maria
Archon
Faith: True Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: GOC

Post by Maria »

joasia wrote:

Inco,

Wearing a rob does help spiritually. It helps the mind focus on the spiritual life. I believe everything we see and experience creates a brain or mind frequency. Even just wearing a rob in my house while I pray would be helpful. I don't want to show my identity with this world because I don't want to have any part of it. I feel like wearing a rob in public would be making a statement that I do not belong to the spirit of this fallen age, and I refuse to blend in with it.

Actually, it's the opposite. The Pharisees thought they were spiritually superior because of their position and clothes they wore in order to identify themselves as priests of the House of Worship. Jesus even pointed that out. But, He didn't dress differently from the citzens. That's why most people, at that time, with embelished ideas, thought he was a regular man. We are also taught that we shouldn't make a big deal about when we fast. Some Orthodox people like to exaggerate their condition by emphasizing how tired or burdened they are because they are fasting. That's another type of outward dress.

You want to identify yourself as a monk although you have not been tonsured as one. This is a decision you are making for yourself. Have you discussed this with your spiritual father?

It's what's inside that counts. Please recognize the trap of pride that has been set up for you, by the Deceiver. When the monastic saints were still in the world, they dressed like the rest(moderately, of course), but they hid their lifestyles, from the world. So if you want to live a humble life, in the Orthodox faith, then live it in secret, for God will see your efforts, but if you announce it to men, by dressing as a monk(which you are not), then you have received your reward, in this life. And that means that you do not want to wait for God's reward and are giving it to yourself, right now. That is the essence of pride. And that is the same like Adam who wanted his reward of knowledge, at that moment, instead of waiting for God to give it to him, which God would have given. But, Adam wanted it now and look where that got him.

Your view is the same as a friend of mine. He had grand expectations of becoming a monk and you know what....he started dressing all in black because he wanted to appear monastic. He thought that his outward appearance would set him apart from this decadent world and he could focus his mind. But, he was just clothing his body. He didn't realize that he had to focus on his soul which is not seen by man, but only by God. So he went to the extreme. And what happened? He was completely disillusioned by the monks around him and left Orthodoxy.

You see, the clothing doesn't determine our state of mind...the disposition of our souls does. And we need to look inward, in order to reconnect with God. When did Jesus ever teach about coming to God by what we wear? He even gave an example about the Pharisees who focused on washing the outside of the cup, but the inside is dirty. Everything we try to show outwardly is our own pride. What really counts is the inner workings of the soul which God sees and helps. And then the outward appearance comes naturally. But, if you try to force the issue before it's time, then you are battling God...and there's nothing good that comes out of that.

Very good response.

Lord Jesus Christ, have mercy on me a sinner.

Barbara
Protoposter

Post by Barbara »

Mr Incognito wrote :
" I feel like wearing a rob in public would be making a statement that I do not belong to the spirit of this fallen age, and I refuse to blend in with it"

That is admirable ! Any attire that is conservative and DIFFERENT would help this guy or anyone to stand out from the sheep herd.
It's essential ! I can hardly believe the ugly items worn by most of the people.

One has to be one's individual self and no more obvious way to state it than to look different than them.
Of course to wear clothes in good taste, not something way out there, either.

One CAN tell about a person just by looking at their attire, I firmly maintain.