Question about writings on the ROAC USA website

This forum is for polite discussions among the various True Orthodox Christians. Only confirmed members of TOC jurisdictions are permitted. However, TOC inquirers and catechumen may be admitted at the administrator's discretion. Private discussions should take place in DM's or via email. Formerly "Intra-TOC Private Discussions."

Priest Siluan
Faith: Russian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: RTOC

Re: Question about writings on the ROAC USA website

Post by Priest Siluan »

Suaiden wrote:
Priest Siluan wrote:

I do not interested where is Grivakos today, but he was who put every of those articles on the Catechetical section of the ROAC USA site, and those articles were taken from Bishop Alexandr (Mileant), I dont know if it was done with or without any permission from the original site and if Bishop Andrei blessed Grivakos to do so.

BTW. I have not any interest to attack you or your jurisdiction. And my last post in this topic (which you is replying now) is enough old, it was writing in March 2012.

Well, that was embarrassing... from the future.

I saw latest posts, saw your second to last, assumed on it, my apologies.

Dont worry, dear Father deacon Joseph, God forgives and me too.

PS: Sorry I meant March 2009

Maria
Archon
Faith: True Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: GOC

Post by Maria »

filofei wrote:

As for "the River of Fire" soteriology, there is a growing acceptance, to my dismay, towards its acceptance as a representative and definitive "doctrine" of the traditionalist Orthodox Church. Take, for example, the following websites: http://catacomb.org.ua/modules.php?name ... ge&pid=832. http://www.synodinresistance.org/pdfs/2 ... ndHell.pdf. The former is from the website of the RTOC in Russia and the latter from the Synod in Resistance. They list this controversial concept of hell under the headings of "Orthodox theology" and "Orthodox eschatology" respectively. While many clergy within these jurisdictions may reject Kalomiran soteriology, it can't be denied that it is gradually eating its way into traditional Orthodoxy.

HOCNA accepts the River of Fire soteriology from what I was told.

Does HOTCA/GOC accept his soteriology too?

Lord Jesus Christ, have mercy on me a sinner.

Archimandrit Nilos

Post by Archimandrit Nilos »

Thank you for these very interesting statements. We must battle for the True Orthodox Faith. I agree.

Matthew
Protoposter

Post by Matthew »

Cyprian wrote:

In the Sacred Canons see the 15th of the twice-held Council presided over by Photius the Great.

"Submit not yourselves to monastics, nor to presbyters, who teach lawless things and evilly propound them. And why do I say only monastics or presbyters? Follow not even after bishops who guilefully exhort you to do and say and believe things that are not profitable. What pious man will keep silence, or who will remain altogether at peace? For silence means consent. Oftentimes war is known to be praiseworthy, and a battle proves to be better than a peace that harms the soul. For it is better to separate ourselves from them who do not believe aright than to follow them in evil concord, and by our union with them separate ourselves from God." --Saint Meletius the Confessor

Hello Cyprian, can you give me the reference for this excellent quote from Saint Meletios?

Thanks!

Matthew
Protoposter

Post by Matthew »

Pravoslavnik wrote:

Cyprian writes: "Ahem! Why would any church wish to promulgate false teachings whether they have been "formally" condemned or not?"
This is really the question, isn't it? Is the biological/paleontological theory of evolution truly a "false teaching," formally condemned as such by the Orthodox Church? Cyprian obviously believes that it is. Alexander Kalomiros, like most modern scientists, believed that it is not, and exchanged correspondence with Father Seraphim Rose on this subject. Some modern Orthodox, including Father Seraphim Rose, have viewed St. Basil's 4th century Hexameron as a specific condemnation of the modern scientific theory of evolution.

Code: Select all

In my opinion as a scientist and lay member of the Orthodox Church, there is a scientific model of relative cosmic time which may allow for a reconciliation of St. Basil's [i]Hexameron[/i] with modern biological an astrophysical theories (and data) of cosmogenesis.  It is best described in a book by the MIT physicist Gerald Schroeder called [i]The Science of God[/i].  In any case, St. Augustine of Hippo specifically advised that Orthodox Christians NOT make dogmatic pronouncements about scientific matters which might prove to be incorrect.  Perhaps the Church needs to come to a bona fide consensus on this complex scientific issue so as not to scandalize the faithful, as the Papacy did by condemning Galileo for believing that the earth revolves around the sun.[/quote]

I believe that not only the sun but the entire universe revolves around the Earth. I also believe that Evolution is an absolute impossibility for reasons I have carefully explained on the thread Bp Kallistos Ware Teaches Evolution. Having said that, I would also like to say that I think that just because someone believes in Theistic Evolution, does not mean they are certainly losing their salvation. I do think it is a dangerous doctrine, and a heresy. However, perhaps not a formally condemned one. Hence, I would be of the opinion that cutting people some slack on this point is in order. To me Revelation is not at the mercy of Reason. Divinely revealed is the teaching that thorns, disease, carnivorous animals, death and suchlike things did not exist prior to the fall of our Ancestors Adam and Eve. Hence, the problem is not with what God has divinely revealed but with the dating methods and conclusions of unbelievers in the physical science fields.

Please feel free to comment, but I will have to wait until bright week to answer anything on this topic. For Great Lent I want to limit myself to Lenten Topics.

Symeon

Matthew
Protoposter

Post by Matthew »

filofei wrote:

As for "the River of Fire" soteriology, there is a growing acceptance, to my dismay, towards its acceptance as a representative and definitive "doctrine" of the traditionalist Orthodox Church. Take, for example, the following websites: http://catacomb.org.ua/modules.php?name ... ge&pid=832. http://www.synodinresistance.org/pdfs/2 ... ndHell.pdf. The former is from the website of the RTOC in Russia and the latter from the Synod in Resistance. They list this controversial concept of hell under the headings of "Orthodox theology" and "Orthodox eschatology" respectively. While many clergy within these jurisdictions may reject Kalomiran soteriology, it can't be denied that it is gradually eating its way into traditional Orthodoxy.

Yes, indeed, as are a great many of modern rationalistic and man-pleasing ideas. I am increasingly of the opinion that we must simply accept this as part of the conditions of the times in which we are living. Perhaps a future Holy Czar will arise and "clean house", we can only hope!

Maria
Archon
Faith: True Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: GOC

Post by Maria »

Icxypion wrote:
Cyprian wrote:

In the Sacred Canons see the 15th of the twice-held Council presided over by Photius the Great.

"Submit not yourselves to monastics, nor to presbyters, who teach lawless things and evilly propound them. And why do I say only monastics or presbyters? Follow not even after bishops who guilefully exhort you to do and say and believe things that are not profitable. What pious man will keep silence, or who will remain altogether at peace? For silence means consent. Oftentimes war is known to be praiseworthy, and a battle proves to be better than a peace that harms the soul. For it is better to separate ourselves from them who do not believe aright than to follow them in evil concord, and by our union with them separate ourselves from God." --Saint Meletius the Confessor

Hello Cyprian, can you give me the reference for this excellent quote from Saint Meletios?

Thanks!

Thank you, Symeon. Yes, I too would like to know the reference.
It is so unfortunate that the freemason Patriarch Meletios Metatakis, who helped introduce the Papal Calendar bore the name of Meletios and did the exact opposite recommended by his patron saint.

Edited to add: I did an ixquick search at https://www.ixquick.com/ and found the reference:

Reference to St. Meletius: http://www.orthodox.net/gleanings/ecumenism.html - scroll down midway

Last edited by Maria on Sun 7 April 2013 4:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lord Jesus Christ, have mercy on me a sinner.