Saint Gregory Palamas: The Homilies

Chapter discussions and book or film reviews of Orthodox Christian and secular books that you have read and found helpful. All Forum Rules apply.
GOCPriestMark
Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: GOC-Metropolitan Kirykos

Saint Gregory Palamas: The Homilies

Post by GOCPriestMark »

I don't know about you, but i have been trying to find the rest of these sermons for a long time:

Saint Gregory Palamas: The Homilies, edited and translated from the original Greek, with an introduction and notes by Christopher Veniamin
I am not a salesman for the publisher, but there is a significant discount for ordering before this Wednesday.

(PS. Do not worry that they call it "The scholar's edition: for priests, theologians and the educated layperson", that refers to all the notes, (200+ pages), the sermons themselves are in plain enough English.)

==+==+==+==+==+==+==+==+==+==+==+==+==

Priest Mark Smith
British Columbia

Cyprian
Sr Member
Faith: Orthodox Christianity
Jurisdiction: GOC

Re: Saint Gregory Palamas: The Homilies

Post by Cyprian »

The first 42 of the 63 extant homilies were already published in a two volume set years ago. There was supposed to be a third volume containing the last 21 homilies, but it never came to light, and now it looks as if one must purchase this more expensive volume with all 63 homilies, even though the first 42 are redundant, just to get the last 21. It would be nice if they published a third volume with only the last 21 homilies for a more modest sum, to accommodate those who already bought the first two volumes.

Anyway, judging by the first two volumes, and other works on the Fathers I've read published by people involved with the OCA, I wouldn't give a whole lot of attention to the notes. I recall that some were led astray by errant theological interpretations contained within the notes of the first volumes.

Enjoy the translation of the homilies, but be wary of the theological opinions contained within the notes which come from people involved with the heretical OCA/St. Vladimir's.

GOCPriestMark

Post by GOCPriestMark »

My 'loss' is not so big, I only had Volume II. I was offering over $100 on Amazon for Volume I in any condition, but after more than a year didn't find any takers. For me $40 for the full collection is a deal. It is too bad St. Tikhon's press didn't manage to print the 3rd volume, could it have been financial problems?

Good call Cyprian on being aware of the notes/commentaries. That's always good advise, (so natural for me anymore, I didn't think to mention it.)

Since this section is for book reviews, perhaps someone will post anything in the previous notes that they found objectionable or unorthodox.

Priest Mark Smith
British Columbia

Philoteus

Post by Philoteus »

St.Tikons Press in South Canann, Pa publishes this two volume set but I think it may be out of print but Good News!
They are coming out with a new publication of this and I heard it will be three volumes. Not sure of the date.
You may want to call them and inquire and please post your findings for us all.

Philoteus

Post by Philoteus »

GOCPriestMark wrote:

My 'loss' is not so big, I only had Volume II. I was offering over $100 on Amazon for Volume I in any condition, but after more than a year didn't find any takers. For me $40 for the full collection is a deal. It is too bad St. Tikhon's press didn't manage to print the 3rd volume, could it have been financial problems?

Good call Cyprian on being aware of the notes/commentaries. That's always good advise, (so natural for me anymore, I didn't think to mention it.)

Since this section is for book reviews, perhaps someone will post anything in the previous notes that they found objectionable or unorthodox.

I may have an extra copy of volume 1. Are you still interested?

GOCPriestMark

Post by GOCPriestMark »

Since the new book has come out with all the homilies in one volume, I do not see the point of St. Tikhon's printing the 3 volume set.
Since I have a copy of the new book, the value of the old Volume One goes down to maybe $10. I have already had someone offer to me a free copy of Vol. One.
But thanks for asking.
You do not want to keep it and read it? Was it not useful for you?

Priest Mark Smith
British Columbia

Philoteus

Post by Philoteus »

You do not want to keep it and read it? Was it not useful for you?

Your welcome. I have an extra copy.