House of Romanovs Wants Royal Remains Examined

Discuss Religious, Moral and Ethical topics that are offtopic to other forums and that are within the boundaries of Christian morality and good taste, i.e., no pictures or videos of killings. Any politically charged material must be posted in the private Political and Social Issues forum; please PM admin for access. All rules apply. No promotion of Non-Orthodox-Christian beliefs. No baiting, flaming, or ad hominems. No polemics.
mmcxristidis

Re: House of Romanovs Wants Royal Remains Examined

Post by mmcxristidis »

[quote="Catherine5"]

"This is the type of thing I really like and hope we can generate all the time on THIS site so that it attract balanced and intelligent readers who yearn to know the REAL truth about this or any topic under discussion.

Ideally, readers from various backgrounds, not necessarily Orthodox, too, will know they can count on writers here to provide a REAL, and objective viewpoint, calmly stating the problems or negative sides about any matter. Without condemning individuals, it's very important to know what their characters are like".

Yes, this site could one day become the home of the Orthodox intelligentsia with writers like you answering complex theological questions. Pity you were born female, you would have made a great bishop. Please feel free to answer my question, as dumb as it may sound, which I'm posting now in Praxis, if you feel so inclined and have a balanced and intelligent answer. Thanks

Catherine5

Post by Catherine5 »

Always a gracious remarks from you to add a little sunshine to one's day ....!

I know you meant all that with sarcasm, but I'll choose to take the part about the bishop as a faint compliment. At least I feel no offense from it.
Waiting for the question, then of course I will try.
However, praxis is one of my weakest fields and I flunked out of theology studies.
Others will surely supply the right answer.

mmcxristidis

Post by mmcxristidis »

Catherine5 wrote:

I know you meant all that with sarcasm, but I'll choose to take the part about the bishop as a faint compliment. At least I feel no offense from it.
Waiting for the question, then of course I will try.
However, praxis is one of my weakest fields and I flunked out of theology studies.
Others will surely supply the right answer.

I may have meant it with sarcasm, but I assure you Catherine, I meant it with sarcasm in a good way

Kybihetz21

Post by Kybihetz21 »

Their behavior has indeed been malicious. It has not been until now that we clearly realize their ulterior motives and reasons to be with the ROCOR until the 80s/90s. They knew that for the émigrés the MP would not have been a good choice, and that the legitimacy of Church in Exile was far greater than the one of the Paris Jurisdiction or the Metropolia (never a choice, I will say).

I have also noticed the lack of piety and reverence of the Kirillovichi (both the father and relatives) in official and non official photographs and videos. How different their behavior from Princess Vera Kontantinovna’s or other Russian royals and nobles!!!

I am sorry for the confusion, but the one that was against the marriage was Princess Helen of Greece, formerly Grand Duchess Elena Vladimirovna, aunt of Kirill Vladimirovich. She was a fierce supporter of the Synod and a great enemy of the Paris Jurisdiction as well as of the MP. I seem to recall that she was friends with many of the ROCOR bishops, especially Metropolitan Antonii, and that she was very upset when the division created by Metropolitan Evlogii took place, threatening her relatives and letting them know that they shouldn’t attend those churches; something similar was done by Grand Duchess Ksenia Aleksandrova, the Tsar’s elder sister. Grand Duchess Elena was very proud and conscious of her state, just like her mother, Maria Pavlovna (who by the way, did become Orthodox towards the end of her life, I believe in 1906 or so; it was Grand Duchess Elizabeta Mavrikievna, the mother of the “Konstantinovichi”, who remained Lutheran through her life) and was not very pleased that her nephew and heir to the pretensions of her brother was marrying someone below his rank and I assume that neither the ROCOR nor the Evlogians wanted to get into her disfavor, knowing the dubious background of the bride to be.

I feel bad about Georgii Mixailovich … always trying to please mom and grandma, and having a thousand headaches thinking of whom to marry (although he is not old, he is not getting any younger, and time does fly), since on him rests the hopes of the Vladimirovichi/Kirillovichi clan.

I believe Victoria Melita (“Ducky”), also known later on as Viktoria Feodorovna, was baptized in the Church of England, since her father was the son of Queen Victoria.

Most of the intelligentsia were part of the “rue Daru” people since it was not only convenient but fashionable. You have to remember that the church building itself is quite grandiose, and Russian nobles and aristocrats of the XIX and XX centuries were not that religious at all and saw the Church as a place where to show off and to belong and attend it a patriotic thing to do. Not all were like that, but it was the common position of the intelligentsia. St. Alexander Nesvkii Church in Paris (12 rue Daru) was the obvious see of the local Russian hierarch, therefore the reason of Metropolitan Evlogii and his successors to take residence there.

mmcxristidis

Post by mmcxristidis »

Catherine5 wrote:

Given your predisposition to making positive remarks about the satanic Islamic religion I should have elaborated. Instead of saying you would have made a great bishop ( had you been born a male), rather I should have said you would have made a great new-calendar, ecumenist bishop. My bad, hope you still take this as a faint compliment.

Catherine5

Post by Catherine5 »

I KNEW there was a catch ! I couldn't imagine that Minas had changed his spots to niceness overnight--

The added stipulation whittled away the last shred of that compliment.
Boo hoo!

In reality, there is much more in common, at least regarding some conservative customs, between traditional-minded Muslims and Orthodox Old Calendarists than an Orthodox parishioner may expect with no familiarity with the former.

In both religions, for example, males / monastics do not trim their beards as a gesture of renunciation.
In both, asceticism is given immense respect. Whether or not practiced by all members of the community, it is still a major goal of serious worshippers, having their salvation as the supreme goal.

In both, women can wear nearly identical outfits. I've mentioned this much earlier, but take a look at a conservative Iranian woman wearing her black garment, the "chador" and take a look at the nearest Orthodox nun without her klobouk - not a huge visual difference!
Then, the merits of pilgrimage, and much more are shared by both.
I'm not talking about doctrine, needless to say.

Will be back with more questions on the marvelous earlier post...

mmcxristidis

Post by mmcxristidis »

Catherine5 wrote:

I KNEW there was a catch - ! You couldn't have turned nice overnight--

The added stipulation whittled away the last shred of that compliment. Boo hoo!

There is much more in common, at least customs-wise, between traditional-minded Muslims and Orthodox Old Calendarists than you may assume.

In both paths, for example, males / monastics do not trim their beards as a gesture of asceticism.

In both, women wear nearly identical outfits. I've mentioned this much earlier, but take a look at a conservative Iranian woman wearing her black garment, the "chador" and take a look at the nearest Orthodox nun, without her klobouk - not a lot of visual difference! Doctrinally, of course, there is.

Will be back with more questions on the marvelous earlier post...

From what I have read about Mohamed and his man and demon made religion he was very familiar with the customs of both Jewish and Christian beliefs and customs having had relatives that were of both faiths. Anything good and true in Islamic thought has been taken from those faiths and mixed with pagan Arabic beliefs and whatever he and his demonic teachers thought sounded good to create Islam, not to mention those who followed him after he went to his just reward after his death, much like the Talmudic Jews who put together the Kabbalah did after the coming of Christ. Early church fathers considered Islam to be a Christian heresy, truth mixed with lies which only equals falsehood. So what if they believe in certain truths mixed with many falsehoods about Christ and the Theotokos, they still have the wrong belief of who God really is. Are you familiar with the Gospel account of the demon possessed man who followed after him proclaiming he was the Son of the most High God ? Christ rebuked him, why, in order to teach us that even if the devil were to proclaim the true to us we should pay him no mind.
You claim to be a Orthodox Christian while singing the praises of Islamic faith and culture any chance you get because you traveled and lived in Muslim countries and people were nice to you.Why do you seem so intent to get us all to believe that Islam is a true and God pleasing faith, because you met some nice Muslims ? There's nice and friendly people in every culture, I know nice atheists You seem like the Turks who still deny there ever was a Greek and Armenian (among others) genocide. You deny what the church fathers teach about Islam and Mohamed and how many Orthodox Saints Muslims have historically martyred. If you want to be politically correct and say nice things about all paths being true and pleasing to God then don't call yourself a traditionalist, your not, your denying who Christ God is and what he taught us.