The good, the bad, and the ugly, or for whom the bell tolls

Discuss Religious, Moral and Ethical topics that are offtopic to other forums and that are within the boundaries of Christian morality and good taste, i.e., no pictures or videos of killings. Any politically charged material must be posted in the private Political and Social Issues forum; please PM admin for access. All rules apply. No promotion of Non-Orthodox-Christian beliefs. No baiting, flaming, or ad hominems. No polemics.
jgress
Jurisdiction: GOC/HOTCA

Re: The good, the bad, and the ugly, or for whom the bell tolls

Post by jgress »

Christos anesti!

Well we have not concelebrated with HOCNA. We have only visited them for the purpose of discussion. I don't know where you get the information that we have concelebrated with them. This is the official report:

http://www.hotca.org/index.php?option=c ... &Itemid=85

Now, if you have heard that our meeting with them went beyond this in any way, you need to provide evidence. The same goes for the visits we have paid to the Cyprianite/Agafangelite churches. There was no concelebration, nor even joint prayers as far as I know. But if you know of such things you should provide some sources.

I completely agree with many of your concerns, e.g. over Cyprianite teaching on 'uncondemned heretics', but I am not as ready as you are to label opponents heretics. I am not competent myself to declare somebody a heretic; I am only competent to know what the Church has already condemned as a heresy, and to avoid communion and prayer with those who preach it. I'm not aware that, e.g. Cyprianite ecclesiology has been declared a heresy. Our own statements on the matter don't lead me to think this is the case: we disagree with their ecclesiology, for sure, but we don't consider it to be a heresy as far as I can tell.

joasia
Protoposter
Jurisdiction: RTOC

Post by joasia »

Christ is Risen!

Nothing can be fixed unless everyone looks within themselves, first. Everything else is useless. Even these "discussions" are useless.

Joanna

Create in me a clean heart, O God, and renew a right spirit within me. (Ps. 50)

Cyprian
Sr Member
Faith: Orthodox Christianity
Jurisdiction: GOC

Post by Cyprian »

Alithos anesti!

jgress wrote:

Now, if you have heard that our meeting with them went beyond this in any way, you need to provide evidence. The same goes for the visits we have paid to the Cyprianite/Agafangelite churches. There was no concelebration, nor even joint prayers as far as I know. But if you know of such things you should provide some sources.

I will gladly provide you a source, from your own HOTCA website:

Visit of HOCNA clergy to St. Maximus Parish
Thursday, 27 August 2009 21:37
http://www.hotca.org/index.php?option=c ... &Itemid=74

On August 10/23 Bishop Demetrius of Carlisle, together with two other priests of HOCNA, Fr. John Fleser and Fr. Peter Farnsworth, attended a festal Liturgy at St. Maximus parish in Owego, New York. At this celebration Metropolitan Pavlos awarded Fr. Thomas Marretta, the rector of St. Maximus, the office of Protopresbyter for his dedicated service to the Church as a priest for 30 years. Metropolitan Pavlos invited the clergy from Boston to attend as a sign of unity among the True Orthodox Christians; this being especially appropriate in view of Fr. Thomas’s long-standing friendship with the clergy of HOCNA and the fact that he was baptized into the Orthodox Faith at Holy Transfiguration Monastery in Boston, MA. We wish Fr. Thomas Many Years on his reception of the honor of the protopresbytery, and pray that such demonstrations of brotherly support from other True Orthodox jurisdictions will become more frequent!

jgress
Jurisdiction: GOC/HOTCA

Post by jgress »

All right, thank you. So HOCNA clergy were invited to attend, which does constitute a kind of mutual prayer. Still, there was no concelebration. In any case, I don't consider this a kind of ecumenism since I don't believe HOCNA to be heretical as a whole.

mmcxristidis

Post by mmcxristidis »

mmcxristidis wrote:

Mr Cyprian,
Please advise me as to what synod I should follow. I'm sure you must be in the true genuinely correct Orthodox one. Which one(s) is or are the real deal? Who is your bishop ? Thanks in advance for your kind rely.

Mr Cyprian,
I did'nt think when I asked this question that you would or could answer it. I see i may have been correct. Would you like to try and prove me wrong or will you just be silent and prove me right. Thank you for your kind consideration in advance.

Joanna Higginbotham

Post by Joanna Higginbotham »

Thank you, Minas

Cyprian
Sr Member
Faith: Orthodox Christianity
Jurisdiction: GOC

Post by Cyprian »

mmcxristidis wrote:
mmcxristidis wrote:

Mr Cyprian,
Please advise me as to what synod I should follow. I'm sure you must be in the true genuinely correct Orthodox one. Which one(s) is or are the real deal? Who is your bishop ? Thanks in advance for your kind rely.

Mr Cyprian,
I did'nt think when I asked this question that you would or could answer it. I see i may have been correct. Would you like to try and prove me wrong or will you just be silent and prove me right. Thank you for your kind consideration in advance.

Christ is Risen!

Thank you as well, mmcxristidis, for confessing your true motivation for asking me the question. I could tell you were not being sincere, but were merely tempting me, just like the pharisees tempted Christ with their unwarranted questions.

I am not interested in answering any of your questions.