On Headcoverings and Modesty of Women in Church

The practice of living the life in Christ: fasting, vigil lamps, head-coverings, family life, icon corners, and other forms of Orthopraxy. All Forum Rules apply. No polemics. No heated discussions. No name-calling.
MikhailM

On Modesty of Women in Church

Post by MikhailM »

On Modesty of Women in Church
by Reader Nathan Williams via Internet transmission

It seems that more and more often we see young women standing in church who, contrary to the explicit teachings and traditions of the Orthodox Church, are wearing immodest clothing, lipstick and no head coverings. At the St. Herman's youth conference last year, for instance, the clothing many of the young women were wearing was bordering on skin tight, and it seemed that only about half the young women had scarves or hats on.

Perhaps they feel that wearing simple, modest clothing, no lipstick and a scarf makes them, somehow, less attractive. But less attractive to whom? The answer is simple: Orthodox young men. Being one myself, perhaps I can offer an opinion from our perspective. To begin with, let us consider women not covering their heads.

To an Orthodox young man who is devoted to serving God and the Church, it is far more appealing to see a young woman wearing a scarf in accordance with God

Liudmilla
Sr Member

MODESTY

Post by Liudmilla »

While much of what you say is true and should be followed....there is a question I would ask.....If you are in church, supposedly praying, concentrating on God, your head and eyes inclined in a downward supplicant manner... how is it that you notice in such detail what others are wearing? And aren't you falling into the sin of judgement when you criticize another? Perhaps he or she knows no better. If the view offends close your eyes and concentrate harder on your prayer. And perhaps also include a prayer for that person, so that God will enlighten them.

The young women you are eyeing ultimately growup into the modest, pillars who raise your children, teach the faith to the children, and uphold the church. Youthful stupidity almost always gets replaced with some sort of wisdom. Judgement and critisism only makes the journey longer and harder.

Rather rejoice that the young woman came to church at all.

Seraphim Reeves

Do not tempt the weaker brethren

Post by Seraphim Reeves »

Liudmilla,

While much of what you say is true and should be followed....there is a question I would ask.....If you are in church, supposedly praying, concentrating on God, your head and eyes inclined in a downward supplicant manner... how is it that you notice in such detail what others are wearing?

It is precisely because most of us menfolk are not saints, and rather weak, that charity demands women do their best to be modest while in the house of prayer (indeed, more modest than they would be under normal circumstances even.) Indeed, even great saints still had to battle with concupiscence - they averted their eyes harshly, and would even drive immodest women away from them with some violence if need be! What about poor sinners like me? Should not the Church be a sanctuary, where at least I will not have to go out of my way not to be tempted by some woman who lacks either sense or consideration for others?

And aren't you falling into the sin of judgement when you criticize another?

This sounds like a canard to me; in a sense, it is the objective act itself (of acting/dressing immodestly, let alone in a Church) which is the problem, not the motives involved...since in the end, it is not simply the (inadvertant perhaps) temptress which is sinning, but also the weak man (like me) who has not yet fully mastered his flesh.

And perhaps also include a prayer for that person, so that God will enlighten them.

I think the young man who posted the article probably does that anyway - but that was not the point of what was being written - it was a statement made precisely to shake the "ignorant/unknowing" temptress out of her ignorance -and for those who know better, and dress provactively anyway, I think he was being rather kind (since such behaviour is rather disturbing, if done with any kind of well formed intent.)

The young women you are eyeing ultimately growup into the modest, pillars who raise your children, teach the faith to the children, and uphold the church.

So sure? I'm not entirely sure of that. Neither am I sure that behaviour often accepted in our society coming from men (juvenile egotism, substance abuse, rowdiness, etc.), that often gets treated in a "boys will be boys way" necessarily gets "grown out of" on it's own either.

Rather rejoice that the young woman came to church at all.

While it is good that someone comes to Church, the "we'll put up with anything if you'll be so good to come to be with us" attitude doesn't cut the mustard. In that case, the Church would discipline absolutely nothing, and be a madhouse.

Seraphim - who despite appearances, is not a strict disciplinarian by an definition...he just wishes people had more common sense (himself included)

Logos

Post by Logos »

I was a young male in his 20's all I have to is Amen to that article and to what Seraphim Reeves has said. Seraphim you are right on with your arguments.

Alexis in Alaska
Jr Member

Post by Alexis in Alaska »

Lord Bless!

The beauty of a woman is her holiness and femininity. Orthoodox Tradition protects women through convering their heads and by proscribing modesty. Those who have the Orthodox Spirit will want to be modest and live the traditions. All Churches should have extra headcoverings for women at the entrance of the Church and there should always be a kind grandmother appointed to pass them out to women who need them ( A good way to enforce Orthodox practice :wink: ) Women should also stay on the side of the Theotokos in the Temple and the men on the side of Our Lord Jesus Christ to protect propriety. As St. Paul declared "observe those traditions I have passed down to you."

In Christ,

Alexis

Lord Bless!

尼古拉前执事
Archon
Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Non-Phylitist

I Corinthians: Women's head coverings and the Agape Meal

Post by 尼古拉前执事 »

From the now defunct Orthodox America

SCRIPTURE COMMENTARY
{Part XVI of a continuing series on the Epistles of Saint Paul)
I CORINTHIANS

尼古拉前执事
Archon
Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Non-Phylitist

On Covering the Head

Post by 尼古拉前执事 »

Also from Orthodox America

On Covering the Head

...every woman that prayeth or prophesieth with her head uncovered dishonoreth her head... (I Cor. 11:5)