Three day fast for communion

Discuss the holy Mysteries and the liturgical life of the Church such as the Hours, Vespers, Matins/Orthros, Typica, and the Divine Liturgy. All Forum Rules apply. No polemics. No heated discussions. No name-calling.
jgress
Jurisdiction: GOC/HOTCA

Re: Three day fast for communion

Post by jgress »

There seems to be much variation. I suppose as long as you attend liturgy regularly, local traditions about frequency of communion probably don't matter as much for your spiritual life. I guess I'd say that infrequent communion makes less sense to me: if you are not under a canonical penalty and observe the canonical fasts, you really ought to be able to receive Communion every time you attend Liturgy.

joasia
Protoposter
Jurisdiction: RTOC

Post by joasia »

Christ is Risen!

We should prepare with great care and approach with fear as the priest says when he comes out with the Holy Chalice. We are approaching the Body and Blood of Christ. If you want to go every Sunday then confession and fasting is absolutely required. I don't understand this liberal attitude. Liturgy is all about preparing for the moment of receiving the Holy Eucharist. Right after that, the service is finished. If the Church goes to such care in preparing, then shouldn't we??

Create in me a clean heart, O God, and renew a right spirit within me. (Ps. 50)

Jean-Serge
Protoposter

Post by Jean-Serge »

jgress wrote:

I guess I'd say that infrequent communion makes less sense to me: if you are not under a canonical penalty and observe the canonical fasts, you really ought to be able to receive Communion every time you attend Liturgy.

Why not, provided that you also :
-read the prayers of preparation before communion

• that you attended the vespers and matins prior the liturgy if there were (or read it if you could not attend)
  • that you fasted from midnight

This said, generally, there is a liturgy weekly, and more is a real luxury.

Priidite, poklonimsja i pripadem ko Hristu.