KOSOVO POLJE

Discuss Religious, Moral and Ethical topics that are offtopic to other forums and that are within the boundaries of Christian morality and good taste, i.e., no pictures or videos of killings. Any politically charged material must be posted in the private Political and Social Issues forum; please PM admin for access. All rules apply. No promotion of Non-Orthodox-Christian beliefs. No baiting, flaming, or ad hominems. No polemics.
Pravoslavnik
Sr Member
Jurisdiction: ROCOR- A

KOSOVO POLJE

Post by Pravoslavnik »

This day, June 15/28, is a day of great significance in the history of Orthodox Serbia, and the centuries old struggle of the Serbs against Islam. It is the day of the Serbian Tsar St. Lazar, and also the anniversary of the Battle of Kosovo Polje -- June 15/28, 1389--where St. Lazar was beheaded by the invading Ottoman Turks. (Also, not coincidentally, the day on which Archduke Ferdinand of Austria was assassinated in Sarajevo in 1914, triggering the cataclysmic events of World War I.)

Code: Select all

I am posting this here because some of us have recently been discussing/debating the subject of Islamic jihad in the history of the Orthodox Church.  Of course, this subject has hardly been controversial to previous generations of Orthodox Christians, but nowadays, things are, apparently, less unambiguous.

Holy Tsar St. Lazar, pray to God for us sinners...
jgress
Jurisdiction: GOC/HOTCA

Re: KOSOVO POLJE

Post by jgress »

Thank you for reminding us of this commemoration, Pravo.

Today was also the commemoration of Hieroconfessor Glicherie, who suffered for Orthodoxy at the hands of the renovationists in Romania.

Holy Martyr Lazar and Holy Confessor Glicherie, pray for us!