Free-will and Justification

Reading from the Old Testament, Holy Gospels, Acts, Epistles and Revelation, our priests' and bishops' sermons, and commentary by the Church Fathers. All Forum Rules apply.
sosthenes001

Free-will and Justification

Post by sosthenes001 »

Hello everyone,

I am new on the forum. I have a question about justification and free-will. Sometimes I read people on some evangelical forums. Lately I came with someone who accused Orthodox Church of semi pelagianism, which make absolutely no sens for me, as I understand we believe that Man keeps his free-will in the justification process. I search the Orthodox Study Bible (OSB) to find a study article or a commentary on Free-will but, except one on justification in the Epistle to the Romans from St Paul, I could not find anything. Can someone provide me some commentary in OSB I can read and understand where stands free-will?

--
Thank you and best regards,
François

GOCPriestMark
Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: GOC-Metropolitan Kirykos

Re: Free-will and Justification

Post by GOCPriestMark »

==+==+==+==+==+==+==+==+==+==+==+==+==

Priest Mark Smith
British Columbia

sosthenes001

Post by sosthenes001 »

Hello Father,

Thank you so much for this precious text from St John of Daascus. I am glad now I can rely on a Father of the Church.

--
Best regards,
François

GOCPriestMark

Post by GOCPriestMark »

THAT EVIL WHICH IS EVIL IN ITSELF, namely sin, originates from us. On the other hand, what our senses perceive as evil, because it is grievous and painful, can also be from God who, like a physician, uses it to restrain and heal what is truly evil. When those who have sinned can be cured, He tends them in all sorts of ways, but if they are incurable, He even takes away their life for the salvation of the rest. Therefore we are to blame for our own misfortunes, since we make ourselves deserving of cauterizations, whereas He is our benefactor and Saviour in this, as He removes the real evil. Sometimes He exposes the valiant to attacks by afflictions which are not essentially evil, as a challenge. Just as illness was not created by God, although the creature who suffers from it was, so sin was not made by Him, although the rational soul created by Him willingly turns aside after it. This soul was honoured with free will and independent life, as without this honour it would have been pointless for it to be rational. Thus it received a will free from all necessity, and if it remains attentively in God and is united with Him by love, it keeps its good and natural life. But if it becomes as though satiated by this sacred residing in God, turning towards things below and the pleasures of the flesh by veering away from what is by nature good, it falls sick with what is evil by nature, sin, creating death for itself, alas, by voluntarily falling away from life.

Homlies of St. Gregory Palamas - Homily 63, p. 518

Priest Mark Smith
British Columbia

GOCPriestMark

Post by GOCPriestMark »

If all the ants in the world put together could never comprehend our most insignificant deed or thought, as we are superior to them in every respect, how are we able to understand the works and mind of God, Who is infinitely superior to us, or to make accurate conjectures about the sequence of events, without faith? As the' great luminary in the heavens could not give us daylight, if its brilliance did not surpass our vision, so God, Who created our human nature, could not provide us with salvation, if He were comprehensible to us, and His wisdom and goodness did not go beyond our understanding.

Code: Select all

As for those who accuse God of calling people who were not going to act in obedience to Him, no doubt they would also have held Him responsible for the destruction of such people, had He not called them. He called them so that no one could say that He was the cause of their being punished. Why was it, then, that He created men who were to be damned? He did not make them to be punished, but to be saved, as is clear from the fact that He called them. If He had wanted to darn anyone at all, He would not have called everyone to salvation. If God led me and called me to salvation through His goodness, but I turned out evil, ought my wickedness, before it even existed, to have overcome His eternal goodness and have thwarted it? That would be totally unreasonable. People who assert otherwise and make accusations against the Creator are actually saying that it was wrong to make human beings rational. For reason would be pointless without free choice and the power of self-governance. How can someone have the freedom to choose and the power to act freely, unless he were able to be evil, should he so wish? If he could not be wicked, nor could he, presumably, be good.

Anyone who states that God should not have made those people who will be punished, is also saying that He should not have made those who will be saved, or any rational and free beings at all. As everything else was made for the sake of mankind, such a person is contending that God should not have created anything. Do you see the absurdity of this? God made the human race rational and free, and because of men's tendency to please themselves and the different uses to which they put their freedom, some were to become bad, and others good. What should God, Who is truly good, have done? Ought He not to have brought good men into being on account of those who would turn out evil? That would be the greatest injustice imaginable. For even if there were only going to be one good person, it would not have been just to stop creating, since one man who does God's will is superior to innumerable sinners. Should we perhaps tell those who pick out gold from the dirt, that they should not start by collecting the useless earth along with the gold dust? We would hear in reply, that if they did not do so, they could not select out the gold. In the same way, there would be no elect if the others were not called as well, and how could they be called if they had not been made?

Let us bring our arguments closer to the point, and ask those who lay charges against the One Who wishes all to be saved, about people who do not want their own salvation. As we are all mortal, we need nourishment. But as our body's natural processes select and absorb part of our food for our sustenance and, having made what remains ill-smelling, get rid of it as useless by the appropriate means, does this mean that you would completely reject food on account of that part of it which will end up as dung? Or will you accept food in its entirety on account of that portion of it which is chosen, assimilated and incorporated, through our digestive system, for our physical sustenance? There is obviously no need for a reply. We provide the answer by our actions, as we feed ourselves every day, consuming food that is unsuitable for our physical nourishment for the sake of that which is. What makes us do this? Our inborn desire to live. Similarly, because of His innate kindness and love of goodness, God did not stop bringing good people into being on account of those who would become bad by their own fault. Rather, He created those who would be evil for the sake of the good.

Have you not seen how doctors do not allow patients to go without food when, because of the weakness of their stomach, they cannot keep down nourishment but vomit it up? Why do they urge them to eat? Because their constitution receives something, however little, from the food, even though most of what they eat is rendered useless by the vomiting. That is why the art of medicine is rightly called philanthropic. So God's love for what is good and His philanthropy are demonstrated above all by this: that although those who seek their own salvation are few, in comparison with the great number of those who will not be saved, yet He created the whole human race, and although not many are going to be chosen, in His exceedingly great love for mankind He called everyone.

Homilies of St. Gregory Palamas - Homily 41, pp. 326-328

Priest Mark Smith
British Columbia

joasia
Protoposter
Jurisdiction: RTOC

Post by joasia »

justification process

What do you mean by this term? What is the passage that you read in Romans?

Joanna

Create in me a clean heart, O God, and renew a right spirit within me. (Ps. 50)

sosthenes001

Post by sosthenes001 »

Hello Joanna,

What I meant, is just what Bible says: God initiates and accomplish justification through Christ on the Cross. Sorry I was not clear. if you have the Orthodox Study Bible there is a paper in Roman, chapt. 5, called «Justification by Faith» on page 1529 (2008 edition).

Best regards,
François