Will there be a new TOC monastery in North America?

News about traditional Orthodox monastics and how these monks and nuns are living out their vocations in monasteries and convents. All Forum Rules apply. No polemics. No heated discussions. No name-calling.

Moderator: Mark Templet

Matthew
Protoposter

Will there be a new TOC monastery in North America?

Post by Matthew »

At present there are so few True Orthodox Church monasteries the faithful can visit in North America. The faithful are scattered across this huge continent and getting to a monastery for a time of consolation and refreshment is a hard pilgrimage to make for many of us. Now that about 16 of the monks at HTM in Boston have left, will they eventually start a new monastery? Perhaps they will form several small ones. In any case it would be a great help in the long term if this situation, which at present is sad, results eventually in something that proves to be a great help to many in the TOC. Let's pray for as much good as possible to come of this, and also that HTM itself find renewal as a monastic beacon of light and True Orthodoxy.

Symeon

Maria
Archon
Faith: True Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: GOC

Re: Will there be a new TOC monastery in North America?

Post by Maria »

Lord have mercy.

It would be awesome if a couple of new monasteries could be located in areas where small clusters of True Orthodox do not have a parish or mission yet, and who must spend 2 to 5 hours traveling to the nearest church.

Lord Jesus Christ, have mercy on me a sinner.

jgress
Jurisdiction: GOC/HOTCA

Post by jgress »

Currently most of the HTM monks are moving to the Holy Ascension Monastery in Bearsville, although a few are heading for California to serve in parishes there. I'll be interested to know how the ones in Bearsville will be accommodated, since there are not that many rooms, but perhaps something miraculous will happen. :)

Matthew
Protoposter

Post by Matthew »

About 30 minutes from the Bearsville monastery is the hermitage of the Dormition of Fr Damian. He has room for at least 6 or 7 monks. Besides which, he sure could use the help keeping his substantial property up and going as he is getting on in years and has no one to help him. He survives only on his pension and has had to sell some of his property (a beautiful colonial era house) just to survive. Too bad, it would have served so well as a place for the monks of HTM to live and work and expand, or as a guest house and visitor centre for visitors.

Symeon

Last edited by Matthew on Tue 18 September 2012 9:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Maria
Archon
Faith: True Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: GOC

Post by Maria »

Icxypion wrote:

About 30 minutes from the Bearsville monastery is the hermitage of the Dormition of Fr Damian. He has room for at least 6 or 7 monks. Besides which, he sure could use the help keeping his substantial property up and going as he is getting on in years and has no one to help him. I survives only on his pension and has to sell some of his property (a beautiful colonial era house) just to survive. Too bad, it would have served so well as a place for the monks of HTM to live and work and expand, or as a guest house and visitor centre for visitors.

Symeon

Is Fr. Damian a member of GOC/HOTCA?

Has he already gone into escrow over the sale of the colonial era house yet? If not, there is hope.

Lord Jesus Christ, have mercy on me a sinner.

Matthew
Protoposter

Post by Matthew »

Yes, Father Damian is in HOTCA under Metr. Paul of Astoria, and hence, Abp Kallinikos, which is my jurisdiction.
Yes, the house was sold some time ago. Too bad. But these are dry times and the TOC people are mostly poor and not well financed.

Symeon

joasia
Protoposter
Jurisdiction: RTOC

Post by joasia »

It would be wonderful if the monks would join Fr. Damian. Somebody tell them. Is it obvious only to me? There has to be some kind of encouragement for this.

Create in me a clean heart, O God, and renew a right spirit within me. (Ps. 50)