New Father Seraphim Rose book available.

Chapter discussions and book or film reviews of Orthodox Christian and secular books that you have read and found helpful. All Forum Rules apply.
bogoliubtsy
Sr Member

New Father Seraphim Rose book available.

Post by bogoliubtsy »

The revised biography of Father Seraphim Rose, Father Seraphim Rose, His Life and Works is now available at Light and Life publishing.
This one is also by Monk Damascene but I've heard it doesn't have its former political slant. All information provided by the former Abbot Herman had to be checked with other sources before the info made its way into the book.

http://www.light-n-life.com/shopping/or ... um=FATH132

Gregory2

Post by Gregory2 »

Anyone know what ever happened to the former Abbot Herman (Fr Seraphim's founding brother of the monastery at Platina)?

尼古拉前执事
Archon
Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Non-Phylitist

Post by 尼古拉前执事 »

He left Orthodoxy and created HOOM and CSB a new age cult that was mixed with aspects of Orthodoxy. This is one of the few reasons why many are suspect of Saint Herman Press books.

bogoliubtsy
Sr Member

Post by bogoliubtsy »

Nicholas wrote:

He left Orthodoxy and created HOOM and CSB a new age cult that was mixed with aspects of Orthodoxy. This is one of the few reasons why many are suspect of Saint Herman Press books.

That's not true. HOOM(Holy Order of MANS) was an alredy existing new age cult/gnostic cult, formed some time in the 1960's. Certain leaders of this cult were becoming increasingly more Christian/Orthodox in their outlook and started a correspondence with Fr.Seraphim Rose in the late 70's and early 80's. After Father Seraphim Rose's repose and Abbot Herman's defrocking and move to the jurisdiction of a deposed clergyman(self made bishop Pangratios), many HOOM members joined Abbot Herman and the uncanonical jurisdiction to which he belonged. Recently, a number of these former HOOM/Christ the Savior Brotherhood/Pangratios parishes were received into both the OCA and Bulgarian Church.

I believe now Fr. Herman, having joined the Serbian Church, is living as a simple monastic at or near a women's monastery.

尼古拉前执事
Archon
Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Non-Phylitist

Post by 尼古拉前执事 »

Well basically I was right. he joined and created HOOM's CSB from it.

bogoliubtsy
Sr Member

Post by bogoliubtsy »

Yeah, definately. I thought you were saying he created HOOM though.

I attended an ex-HOOM parish for about a year...when I first started going there they were without a bishop(made for interesting "liturgies") and they would pray to St. John of San Francisco after liturgy to direct them to a canonical bishop. After searching and prayer they ended up joining the Bulgarians who are not part of the WCC. Their bishop also allowed them to stay old calendar. Too much of an insular community for my tastes, but good pious people.

Gregory2

Post by Gregory2 »

Back to the original subject.....

Has anyone read the new biography of Fr Seraphim by the Hieromonk Damascene?

Is it worth reading if you've read Not of This World? I read NOTW and thorougly enjoyed it, though I wasn't attuned to much of the "political intrigue" and bent with which it was written. Just received my copy of the latest issue of "The Orthodox Word" and the new biography seems very compelling.

Also, has anyone seen the new book on the ROCOR Cathedral in San Fran? I'm not ROCOR, but St John Maximovitch has helped me considerably and I'm wondering if anyone can give me any info on this book also. Thank you.