HOCNA Encyclical...

This forum is for polite discussions among the various True Orthodox Christians. Only confirmed members of TOC jurisdictions are permitted. However, TOC inquirers and catechumen may be admitted at the administrator's discretion. Private discussions should take place in DM's or via email. Formerly "Intra-TOC Private Discussions."

Matthew
Protoposter

Re: HOCNA Encyclical...

Post by Matthew »

Maria wrote:

Below is an excerpt from the 1913 decision of the Russian Synod. In the last sentence of paragraph 1, it is stated that the name of God is neither God/divinity, nor is it an energy of God.

...Examined theologically and in reality, the name of God is only a name. It is not God Himself nor an attribute (characteristic) of His. The name of an object is not the object itself. Therefore, it is impossible for it to be considered or named either God (this would be mindless and blasphemous) or divinity, for it also is not an energy of God.

http://onimyaslavie.blogspot.com/2012/0 ... -1913.html

Excellent Quote Maria! A real torpedo! It amazes me how knowledgeable the regular posters are on this site. I never would have known about such a quote, much less where to find it and quote it myself. I know so little.

Symeon

Maria
Archon
Faith: True Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: GOC

Post by Maria »

Here is a more recent post by Bishop Tikhon and this addressed the Name-Worshipping Heresy right on.

It is extremely STUPID to say that the Lord's NAME is Christ. THE
Christ means and is the Anointed One. If you'll read the book of Isaiah
very carefully, you'll find that Isaiah, reporting what God say, names
Cyrus, the Zorastrian Shah, the sent the Jews that wanted to go back to
israel back there, as His Christ!..., MY ANOINTED ONE: IN THE
SEPTUAGINT "KHRISTOS," i.e., Christ, Get it Georgie?
Of course that is the Greek Old Testament: In the Hebrew, the word is
"messiah."
Now, Arabic Muslims and Iranian Muslims call Jesus "the Messiah", but
they don't think he's God. They agree that "Jesus" (the name that the
Angel commanded that the Virgin Mary's son should be, NOT "Jesus
Christ") is the Messiah. But that is not a NAME Georgie, that's a
function and a title but it's not anybody's name: it's not God's name.

Remember how that Man, Jesus, called "THE" Christ (see that? "the?" )
commanded US to pray to God: Did he say, Call on me, and say, O Jesus
Who art in heaven? No he said that when we pray we could say "Our Father."
The Heavenly God is to be called "Father", as we pray at Liturgy.

So don't be sayin Jesus the Christ is named Jesus Christ.
Read Isaiah, especially in the Septuagint version.
The name of THE Christ is Jesus. Get that into your heart, soul, and mind.
If you like, when you say the Jesus prayer (NOT the "Jesus Christ
Prayer"), start by saying "Lord Jesus, the Christ and the Son of God,
have mercy on me a sinner."
And if YOU want to "forget about the Essence of the Godhead," that IS
YOUR BUSINESS.
If a Council "figures out" (your words) that God the Father, God the
Son, and God the Holy Spirit are One God, I advise you to think about
that Godhead.
You advise us to pray the Jesus Prayer, but "forget about the essence of
the Godhead", this confirms what the Church has decided about
Name-Worshipping.
You've become an extreme Roman Catholic devotee of "the Holy Name"
instead of Him Who taught us to pray.
Neither the Good Samaritan nor the Thief on the Cross MENTIONED the
name "Jesus," let alone "Jesus the Christ."
Give it a rest. Do not imagine you have the wisdom of the Desert Fathers
or are a practitioner of Silence, or, rather Hesychasm. You are not.
You make noise, and noise, especially on the Internet is the opposite of
Hesychasm.

Lord Jesus Christ, have mercy on me a sinner.

Matthew
Protoposter

Post by Matthew »

good quote!

Matthew
Protoposter

Post by Matthew »

Someone just sent me the following set of quotes without explanation. They rather disturb me because for one, they are by St. John of Kronstadt, and two they seem to suggest a Name-Worshipping position. Of course, this cannot be actually the case if taken in full context or in the original Russian. But I would like to know if anyone has seen these quotes explained (since St. John was not condemned as a Name-Worshipper 10 years later when the heresy was formally condemned). Also, it makes me wonder if the friend who sent me this is falling for that heresy, especially because the quotations are from the personal website of Tatiana Senina, and if I remember correctly she was/is definitely on the side of the name-worshippers.

When you pronounce to yourself in your heart the Name of God, of the Lord, or that of the most Holy Trinity, or of the Lord of Sabaoth, or of the Lord Jesus Christ, then in that Name you have the Lord’s whole being; in it is His infinite mercy, His boundless wisdom, His inaccessible light, omnipotence, and immutability. Approach this all-creative, all-keeping and all-ruling Name in our thoughts and heart with the fear of God, and with faith and love.

This is why God’s commandment strictly forbids us to use God’s Name in vain, because His Name is Himself, one God in Three Persons, an incomplex being, represented and contained in one single word, although at the same time He is not contained or limited either by it or by anything that exists.

St. John of Kronstadt, My Life in Christ, p. 358 (Jordanville edition, 1984) - http://www.thewonderfulname.info/2012/1 ... hn-of.html

The Name of God is God Himself. Therefore it is said: "Thou shalt not take the Name of the Lord thy God in vain;" or "the Name of the God of Jacob defend thee;" or, again, "bring my soul out of prison that I may give thanks unto Thy Name." As the Lord is the most incomplex Spirit, He is wholly contained in one word, in one thought, being at the same time wholly everywhere - in all creatures. This is why, if you only call upon the Name of the Lord, you call upon the Lord Himself, the Saviour of those who believe, and you shall be saved. "Whosoever shall call on the Name of the Lord shall be saved." "Call upon me [My Name] in the time of trouble; so will I hear thee, and shalt praise me."
St. John of Kronstadt, My Life in Christ, p. 477

When you forbid the devil in the Name of our Lord Jesus Christ, then this Name, the sweetest to us, and the most terrible and grievous to the demons, itself creates power, like a two-edged sword. Equally, if you ask anything of the Heavenly Father, or do anything in the Name of our Lord Jesus Christ, then the Heavenly Father, for the sake of the Name of His beloved Son, shall give you all things in the Holy Spirit, in the Mysteries, if you fulfil His commandments, and will in nowise consider your unworthiness; for wherever the Name of God is made use of with faith, there it creates power: for the very Name of God is power.
St. John of Kronstadt, My Life in Christ, p. 436
The whole man, consisting of the soul and body, is called a single name or word - for instance John - in token of the fact that man is brought into existence by the Word of God, which is incomplex. Besides this, the name signifies that our soul is likewise an incomplex being. Under one name in concealed such a wealth and depth of the human spirit, such a multitude of divisible parts of matter. This is truly the image and likeness of God, and at the same time a small world in itself.
St. John of Kronstadt, My Life in Christ, p. 436-437
The soul of the man is in the man"s name; for instance, the soul of John is in the name "John." Thus, at the appellation my soul recognises itself in the name, and answers to it. Thus in the Name of Jesus Christ dwells Christ Himself, wholly, His Soul and Body, united to the Godhead.
St. John of Kronstadt, My Life in Christ, p. 437

http://www.pravoslav.de/imiaslavie/engl ... f_god.html

Maria
Archon
Faith: True Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: GOC

Post by Maria »

Icxypion wrote:

Someone just sent me the following set of quotes without explanation. They rather disturb me because for one, they are by St. John of Kronstadt, and two they seem to suggest a Name-Worshipping position. Of course, this cannot be actually the case if taken in full context or in the original Russian. But I would like to know if anyone has seen these quotes explained (since St. John was not condemned as a Name-Worshipper 10 years later when the heresy was formally condemned). Also, it makes me wonder if the friend who sent me this is falling for that heresy, especially because the quotations are from the personal website of Tatiana Senina, and if I remember correctly she was/is definitely on the side of the name-worshippers.

When you pronounce to yourself in your heart the Name of God, of the Lord, or that of the most Holy Trinity, or of the Lord of Sabaoth, or of the Lord Jesus Christ, then in that Name you have the Lord’s whole being; in it is His infinite mercy, His boundless wisdom, His inaccessible light, omnipotence, and immutability. Approach this all-creative, all-keeping and all-ruling Name in our thoughts and heart with the fear of God, and with faith and love.

This is why God’s commandment strictly forbids us to use God’s Name in vain, because His Name is Himself, one God in Three Persons, an incomplex being, represented and contained in one single word, although at the same time He is not contained or limited either by it or by anything that exists.

St. John of Kronstadt, My Life in Christ, p. 358 (Jordanville edition, 1984) - http://www.thewonderfulname.info/2012/1 ... hn-of.html

The Name of God is God Himself. Therefore it is said: "Thou shalt not take the Name of the Lord thy God in vain;" or "the Name of the God of Jacob defend thee;" or, again, "bring my soul out of prison that I may give thanks unto Thy Name." As the Lord is the most incomplex Spirit, He is wholly contained in one word, in one thought, being at the same time wholly everywhere - in all creatures. This is why, if you only call upon the Name of the Lord, you call upon the Lord Himself, the Saviour of those who believe, and you shall be saved. "Whosoever shall call on the Name of the Lord shall be saved." "Call upon me [My Name] in the time of trouble; so will I hear thee, and shalt praise me."
St. John of Kronstadt, My Life in Christ, p. 477

When you forbid the devil in the Name of our Lord Jesus Christ, then this Name, the sweetest to us, and the most terrible and grievous to the demons, itself creates power, like a two-edged sword. Equally, if you ask anything of the Heavenly Father, or do anything in the Name of our Lord Jesus Christ, then the Heavenly Father, for the sake of the Name of His beloved Son, shall give you all things in the Holy Spirit, in the Mysteries, if you fulfil His commandments, and will in nowise consider your unworthiness; for wherever the Name of God is made use of with faith, there it creates power: for the very Name of God is power.
St. John of Kronstadt, My Life in Christ, p. 436
The whole man, consisting of the soul and body, is called a single name or word - for instance John - in token of the fact that man is brought into existence by the Word of God, which is incomplex. Besides this, the name signifies that our soul is likewise an incomplex being. Under one name in concealed such a wealth and depth of the human spirit, such a multitude of divisible parts of matter. This is truly the image and likeness of God, and at the same time a small world in itself.
St. John of Kronstadt, My Life in Christ, p. 436-437
The soul of the man is in the man"s name; for instance, the soul of John is in the name "John." Thus, at the appellation my soul recognises itself in the name, and answers to it. Thus in the Name of Jesus Christ dwells Christ Himself, wholly, His Soul and Body, united to the Godhead.
St. John of Kronstadt, My Life in Christ, p. 437

http://www.pravoslav.de/imiaslavie/engl ... f_god.html

Before Timothy Vargas of HOCNA was banned from E Cafe, he sent me these above quotes by Private Message.
It seems like several members of HOCNA and even George Ellis (who used to post at NFTU) are attempting to spread the errors of Met. Ephraim (Awake Sleepers and Name-Worshipping).

Bishop Sergius of Portland said that these quotes are misquotes and to ignore them.

Lord Jesus Christ, have mercy on me a sinner.

Matthew
Protoposter

Post by Matthew »

Thank you Maria.

Previously I had written:

Also, it makes me wonder if the friend who sent me this is falling for that heresy, especially because the quotations are from the personal website of Tatiana Senina, and if I remember correctly she was/is definitely on the side of the name-worshippers.

Apparently, according to Vladimir Moss, that was incorrect and the website is run by an unidentified German man.

Symeon

jgress
Jurisdiction: GOC/HOTCA

Post by jgress »

To my amazement, name-worshiping is receiving coverage in the secular press. Check out this article:

http://www.economist.com/news/christmas ... subversive