Vegan Diet And the Teachings in Holy Scriptures

Discuss Religious, Moral and Ethical topics that are offtopic to other forums and that are within the boundaries of Christian morality and good taste, i.e., no pictures or videos of killings. Any politically charged material must be posted in the private Political and Social Issues forum; please PM admin for access. All rules apply. No promotion of Non-Orthodox-Christian beliefs. No baiting, flaming, or ad hominems. No polemics.
Maria
Archon
Faith: True Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: GOC

Re: Vegan Diet And the Teachings in Holy Scriptures

Post by Maria »

You all gotta listen to this one:

GMOs are bad for you, especially soy.

Lord Jesus Christ, have mercy on me a sinner.

jgress
Jurisdiction: GOC/HOTCA

Post by jgress »

There's not much discussion about veganism and Scripture. Should I rename the thread to "New Age diet fads and Orthodoxy"?

Maria
Archon

Post by Maria »

jgress wrote:

There's not much discussion about veganism and Scripture. Should I rename the thread to "New Age diet fads and Orthodoxy"?

Perhaps a better title would be: "Diet Fads, Scriptures & Orthodoxy"

I am trying to find the scripture that warns about those who advocate not eating meat.

joasia
Protoposter
Jurisdiction: RTOC

Post by joasia »

Jon, my goal was to view Scriptures for examples of the kind of diets in the Old Testament and references in the New Testament. But, the discussion has gone down another path. I had suggested to separate the thread to keep my original thread focused on Scripture. But, certainly, another thread based on vegan diet information is very important. There are so many valuable points. And with Christmas Lent approaching, I think it's a good idea.

Can you copy the video to the new thread? I would like imput on that too.

Create in me a clean heart, O God, and renew a right spirit within me. (Ps. 50)

Barbara
Protoposter

Post by Barbara »

think that there enough valuable material for discussion about NUTRITION/ALTERNATIVE HEALING METHODS etc
to merit a nice entire thread - maybe Sticky, even, if that's the word. I am NOT well versed in internet forum methods,
pardon any mistakes made by me here. I rarely post places. Try to stay off the internet unless there is good material
under consideration. [Like TOC developments such as Despotovac has posted last couple days.
I feel these are so uplifting that I would NOT want to NOT know !]

Alternative Healing Methods are NOT remotely "new age".
They are OLD AGE ! In short, methods which were employed since the earliest periods of history.

It was only in the 20th century that the rise of dangerous, deadly chemicals
were pushed on the world to alleviate symptoms. Usually temporarily, only,
while doing drastic harm to the rest of the system.
The result is that the first thing people think of is to rush to a certified physician.

But is this right? Aren't there BETTER ways to heal oneself which will endure
and create harmony rather than cause true misery to the suffering person ?

What sort of diet is necessary to avoid to seeing ANY doctor whatsoever?

I think these are utmost IMPORTANT QUESTIONS for Toc members !

We HAVE TO STAY HEALTHY !
We cannot succumb to every little flue that passess by, or
worse, contract some bad thing. I refuse to even use the names for diseases,
think me silly but why even bring up very bad things like that into one's mind ?
[See the book " Our Thoughts Determine Our Lives " collection of
sayings of the recent Serbian elder, Thaddeus of Vitovnica,
for pioneering explanations about this phenomenon.]

There are easy ways to avoid becoming even a little ill.

There are NOT that many TOc clergy or laypeople. Why not make the existing ones
healthy and happy?
It is wearing to feel less than energetic.
How can outreach be done when one feels low=energy or miserable himself or herself ?

Cyprian
Sr Member
Faith: Orthodox Christianity

Post by Cyprian »

Greetings Maria and all on the feast of the Protection of the Most-Holy Mother of God.

Perhaps this is the verse you were looking for.

1Ti 4:1 Now the Spirit speaketh expressly, that in the latter times some shall depart from the faith, giving heed to seducing spirits, and doctrines of devils;
1Ti 4:2 Speaking lies in hypocrisy; having their conscience seared with a hot iron;
1Ti 4:3 Forbidding to marry, and commanding to abstain from meats, which God hath created to be received with thanksgiving of them which believe and know the truth.
1Ti 4:4 For every creature of God is good, and nothing to be refused, if it be received with thanksgiving:
1Ti 4:5 For it is sanctified by the word of God and prayer.

Rom 14:21 It is good neither to eat flesh, nor to drink wine, nor any thing whereby thy brother stumbleth, or is offended, or is made weak.

Maria
Archon

Post by Maria »

Cyprian wrote:

Greetings Maria and all on the feast of the Protection of the Most-Holy Mother of God.

Perhaps this is the verse you were looking for.

1Ti 4:1 Now the Spirit speaketh expressly, that in the latter times some shall depart from the faith, giving heed to seducing spirits, and doctrines of devils;
1Ti 4:2 Speaking lies in hypocrisy; having their conscience seared with a hot iron;
1Ti 4:3 Forbidding to marry, and commanding to abstain from meats, which God hath created to be received with thanksgiving of them which believe and know the truth.
1Ti 4:4 For every creature of God is good, and nothing to be refused, if it be received with thanksgiving:
1Ti 4:5 For it is sanctified by the word of God and prayer.

Yes, thank you. St. Titus is the Epistle for which I was looking.

Interesting how the political agenda today teaches that everyone should have the right to marry, but they want to force everyone to partake of vegetable dishes at their "weddings." Even dogs are having weddings. What next?

The sacred is being made profane, right is now wrong, and wrong appears to be politically right.

Rom 14:21 It is good neither to eat flesh, nor to drink wine, nor any thing whereby thy brother stumbleth, or is offended, or is made weak.

I think this passage deals with food sacrificed to idols.
So, my Roman Catholic friend was offended/scandalized when I suggested that we go to a Chinese restaurant to have some vegetables because of the Buddha present at the entrance. She felt that she might be scandalizing other Christians by going to that restaurant.

However, if a brother is an alcoholic, and we order alcohol with our food, that could be a huge stumbling block for him.