Greetings

This is a safe harbor for inquirers and catechumen to ask questions and share their journey into Holy Orthodoxy. Please be kind to our newcomers and warmly welcome them. All Forum Rules apply. No polemics. No heated discussions. No name-calling.
Matthew
Protoposter

Re: Greetings

Post by Matthew »

Life is a rollercoaster for all of us sometimes. You have had a lot of disturbing events that will take time to sort through. You can do that freely here. The important thing I have learned about my own sufferings is that I am never totally innocent in the absolute sense. This is an important thing to keep in mind when we are truly wronged because it protects us from bitterness and condemning others and it speeds our healing through a humble recognition of our need for growth and correction. Whatever our sufferings, seemingly just or unjust, we should care only that we make use of them to perfect a Christlike character in ourselves. If we find a way to become more humble and loving and peaceful, even when we are wronged, then we are gaining a great deal of blessing and good which will abide with us even in eternity.

nathanv
Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: fan of ROCA under Metr. Agafangel

Post by nathanv »

Part 2:
I lived in Jacksonville, Florida from 2002-2006 for a career change. I visited a HOCNA parish in Bunnell, FL a few times but I didn't really like it, it was small, they had a portable iconostasis, and it was a really long drive. There was an OCA church that was somewhat traditional, but they had altar girls for communion, and one of them was really attractive, and I was thinking that there was no way I could ever take communion there because I would be thinking about the girl instead of the body and blood of Christ. I also visited an Antiochian church there which was very ethnic - either Arabic or Syrian. In 2005, I felt guilty about not going to church anywhere so I started going to this protestant megachurch. To be Orthodox, you have to have a PhD level of intelligence. To go to a megachurch is more like elementary school. It's all about the show. It's like the religious version of fast food.

At the end of 2006 I moved back to Denver and tried to find the church. I visited All Saints once and remember Fr. Boris telling a story about how a historic Russian church was saved from destruction because of collaboration with the Soviets. I contacted this Russian guy, Sergey, who has a house church, I think under Metr. Anthony of Los Angeles, but his parish was only for Russians. I contacted Brother Nathaniel, who used to be a novice at Dormition Skete, to get his opinion, but he wasn't very helpful. (He marches to his own beat and has his own "ministry", making videos about things like the Protocols of the Elders of Zion, and dancing on street corners with a cross, waving at people who honk at him. I've seen him twice, but both times I was too busy to talk to him).

In 2008, by chance or not, I met this woman who had been driving up to Dormition Skete, so I decided to ride with her. The now-Archbishop Gregory remembered me and was very friendly. The new Archbishop Ambrose was there and I liked him. About this time they had ordained Fr. George to be Bishop John. And then I understand that he split from Archbishop Gregory shortly thereafter.

About this time I started an email conversation with my old godfather, John Mills, who now calls himself John Alden. He had become an old believer. He showed me where to download all these old believer texts like the Stoglav, Pomorsky Answers and the Chasoslov and where to find stories of the old saints, in Russian (which can be easily translated by Google). (The Stoglav has never been translated into English, or even modern Russian, as far as I can tell, making it impossible for someone who doesn't read Slavonic to understand it). The old believers use the "old" Old Calendar that begins with the creation of the world. The Julian calendar wasn't introduced in Russia until 1700 by Peter the Great. I have a lot of respect for the old believers, but most of their bishops are masons, or too chummy with the Moscow Patriarchate, and the ones without bishops are essentially the orthodox world's version of protestants.

Then I got off on a tangent researching Nestorians. They rejected the 3rd ecumenical council and use the title "Christotokos" instead of "Theotokos" for the Virgin Mary. They have an interesting history, but today most of the Chaldeans are in communion with the Roman church, and those that are left in Iraq are unfortunately being killed off by Muslims. I have more respect for the Nestorian position than I do the "Oriental Orthodox" one.

So that is where I am at. I've been unstable and drifint around. I've been going occasionally to a megachurch just because it is convenient (not because of peer pressure). But I know better than that. I need to repent and find the church and be judged by the church and not judge it. I have some idea as to where it is. But that is the topic of another post.

nathanv
Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: fan of ROCA under Metr. Agafangel

Post by nathanv »

Part 3:
This is my current thinking. I like the Matthewite position. Changing the calendar in 1924 caused not a potential schism, but an actual schism, but there was a "grace period" until 1935. The new calendar was already condemned by a council in 1583, and there doesn't need to be another council to condemn it. I don't understand the difference between the Matthewite synods, but there is now a bishop in New York, Metropolitan Anthony, so that settles it for me. I just need to repent and conform my life to the church.

I am open to correction or input on this.

Matthew
Protoposter

Post by Matthew »

nathanv wrote:

Part 2:...To be Orthodox, you have to have a PhD level of intelligence. To go to a megachurch is more like elementary school. It's all about the show. It's like the religious version of fast food.

It is true that when we are introduced to Orthodoxy having been raised in Protestantism a great many issues arise for us that do take a huge amount of study to resolve. This is true. However, the reverse is also true. Orthodoxy, when one is raised in it, is as simple as can be inasmuch as simple as a child's understanding needs be. Orthodoxy is properly the religion of Peasants as much as Princes and Professors. That is the beauty of it. At its heart it is deep yet simple and the only instrument necessary to enjoy its deepest and most profound blessings and truths in all its splendour is a heart that has been cleansed of the passions and has been united to Christ through the Mysteries.

At the end of 2006 I moved back to Denver and tried to find the church. I visited All Saints once and remember Fr. Boris telling a story about how a historic Russian church was saved from destruction because of collaboration with the Soviets. I contacted this Russian guy, Sergey, who has a house church, I think under Metr. Anthony of Los Angeles, but his parish was only for Russians. I contacted Brother Nathaniel, who used to be a novice at Dormition Skete, to get his opinion, but he wasn't very helpful. (He marches to his own beat and has his own "ministry", making videos about things like the Protocols of the Elders of Zion, and dancing on street corners with a cross, waving at people who honk at him. I've seen him twice, but both times I was too busy to talk to him).

Yes, Nathaniel is quite a character! :wink:

In 2008, by chance or not, I met this woman who had been driving up to Dormition Skete, so I decided to ride with her. The now-Archbishop Gregory remembered me and was very friendly. The new Archbishop Ambrose was there and I liked him. About this time they had ordained Fr. George to be Bishop John. And then I understand that he split from Archbishop Gregory shortly thereafter.

By "HE" split from Abp Gregory, surely you mean Abp Ambrose not Bp John (who is still with Abp Gregory).

About this time I started an email conversation with my old godfather, John Mills, who now calls himself John Alden. He had become an old believer. He showed me where to download all these old believer texts like the Stoglav, Pomorsky Answers and the Chasoslov and where to find stories of the old saints, in Russian (which can be easily translated by Google). (The Stoglav has never been translated into English, or even modern Russian, as far as I can tell, making it impossible for someone who doesn't read Slavonic to understand it). The old believers use the "old" Old Calendar that begins with the creation of the world. The Julian calendar wasn't introduced in Russia until 1700 by Peter the Great. I have a lot of respect for the old believers, but most of their bishops are masons, or too chummy with the Moscow Patriarchate, and the ones without bishops are essentially the orthodox world's version of protestants.

I think you are confused about the identity of both these men. Last time I checked, Subdeacon John Mills remains still an active member of one of the parishes of Archbishop Gregory, and has never been an Old Believer. John Alden, aka. John Alden Stouffer, was a convert from Protestantism to Orthodoxy and was never ordained to any holy orders, and left Archbishop Gregory to style himself according to his convictions after the Old Rite. He is presently living as a vagrant in Southern California. He is suffering a good deal and needs our prayers, love, and compassion.

Then I got off on a tangent researching Nestorians. They rejected the 3rd ecumenical council and use the title "Christotokos" instead of "Theotokos" for the Virgin Mary. They have an interesting history, but today most of the Chaldeans are in communion with the Roman church, and those that are left in Iraq are unfortunately being killed off by Muslims. I have more respect for the Nestorian position than I do the "Oriental Orthodox" one.

I wonder, have you found any information about the relics of St Isaac the Syrian, or the site where he struggled?

So that is where I am at. I've been unstable and drifint around. I've been going occasionally to a megachurch just because it is convenient (not because of peer pressure). But I know better than that. I need to repent and find the church and be judged by the church and not judge it. I have some idea as to where it is. But that is the topic of another post.

Keep on seeking and try to be careful to keep an open an honest outlook. I think then you will find your desired haven with God's help.
Symeon

Matthew
Protoposter

Post by Matthew »

nathanv wrote:

Part 3:
This is my current thinking. I like the Matthewite position. Changing the calendar in 1924 caused not a potential schism, but an actual schism, but there was a "grace period" until 1935. The new calendar was already condemned by a council in 1583, and there doesn't need to be another council to condemn it. I don't understand the difference between the Matthewite synods, but there is now a bishop in New York, Metropolitan Anthony, so that settles it for me. I just need to repent and conform my life to the church.

I am open to correction or input on this.

I am by no means an expert on the issue of the Matthewites. I do know that their members include a great deal of of godly Orthodox people. I am not so sure, however, that their apostolic orders are canonical. There are many sources online that examine that question, though I have investigated it only a little as I have never met a Matthewite nor are there any Matthewite parishes anywhere near where I live. So I cannot say that I know much about this. You might like to contact Vladimir Moss about that question, as it has to do with historical issues which he is very well acquainted with. His website has contact capability here:

http://www.orthodoxchristianbooks.com/contact/

jgress
Jurisdiction: GOC/HOTCA

Post by jgress »

The official position of the GOC under Abp Kallinikos is that the Matthewite hierarcy was normalized by ROCOR's cheirothesia in 1971, so the original problem of the single-handed consecrations by Bishop Matthew has been dealt with. The problem since then has been that the Matthewites themselves rejected the validity of the cheirothesia and on those grounds refuse to have communion with us. From our point of view there is no problem with them as to their origins; the main problem now is that they have split into three groups and we aren't prepared to enter into official communion with one group only.

Matthew
Protoposter

Post by Matthew »

Thank you, Jonathan, for that clarification. I had forgotten about the one-handed ordination being rectified.