Greetings

This is a safe harbor for inquirers and catechumen to ask questions and share their journey into Holy Orthodoxy. Please be kind to our newcomers and warmly welcome them. All Forum Rules apply. No polemics. No heated discussions. No name-calling.
Priest Antonios
Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Metropolia

Greetings

Post by Priest Antonios »

Good day everyone,

This seemed to be the appropriate place for an introductory note. If not, please forgive me.

My name is Antonios and I am a subdeacon in the OCA. I've been lurking about for some time now. However, this is my first post. Over the years my interest in True Orthodoxy has continued to increase. I suppose it's coming to a head due to certain pressures, internal and external, about accepting and pursuing ordination to the higher orders. As I am sure you can understand, if one takes this seriously, it is of eternal consequence. I don't want to bore anyone with my blabbering so let me just say "hello", and let this be an icebreaker, of sorts. Lord, have mercy...

Sincerely in Christ,
Antonios

jgress
Jurisdiction: GOC/HOTCA

Re: Greetings

Post by jgress »

Welcome to the forum, Antonios!

Maria
Archon
Faith: True Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: GOC

Post by Maria »

Welcome to the forum.

My husband and I were in the OCA prior to being received into the GOC-HOTCA jurisdiction.

If you have any questions, please feel free to ask.

Lord Jesus Christ, have mercy on me a sinner.

Priest Antonios

Thank you for the welcome jgress.

Thank you too Maria. Perhaps you can tell me a little about your journey when you have time.

-Antonios

Barbara
Protoposter

Post by Barbara »

It is commendable and courageous of you, Antonios, to
consider switching to a True Orthodox jurisdiction.
Good idea, especially with all the depressing OCA problems.
Reading some of their material is a window into the mentality of the average OCA-ites.
Seems they are more like Protestants than Orthodox once in awhile !
There is not a lot of piety there that I have witnessed. People don't even
invoke the Mother of God or Saints - just talk in a secular tone the way most Americans do.

You must be searching for something much deeper and more authentic.

Tell us a little about your ideas, too, while waiting for Maria to reply !

You are very welcome here ; don't not write your thoughts or observations
out of trepidation at the possibility of making mistakes.

Same goes for anyone else who is "lurking" in the wings ! Better to join the fray,
make a mistake or two, and emerge a little more knowledgeable than before !

It is educational for all to hear honestly the reactions of inquirers ; in short,
you can be yourself, not feel pressure to conform to True Orthodoxy overnight !!
Sometimes people can come across too forcefully, but don't let that intimidate you.

Priest Antonios

Thank you for the warm welcome Barbara.

My ideas? Well, they are in need of sorting really. I need to gain a better understanding of certain things and more clarity. More than anything, at the moment, I felt it necessary to simply make contact with people in the True Orthodox churches. I'm a strong 6.5 hours to the nearest church so I figured this was the best way to go about it for now.

Any good book or web suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

-Antonios

Barbara
Protoposter

Post by Barbara »

I wasn't even looking at this stie for awhile because of Certain Things.

I rushed to reply when I finally did see your post, Antonios.

For I want you to feel there are people LISTENING.

Unfortunately, there are a lot of rather difficult people who get involved on the internet,
I am beginning to see more and more.

So if you stay with the members here, such as Maria, Icxpion, joasia, they will give excellent advice,
and can offer superb suggestions.

If you want to tell any of them or all of us in what regions you are trying to clarify your belief system,
then they will be most happy to give their points of view. Everyone here is a convert maybe with exceptions
such as Fr Siluan and maybe a few other members.

So ALL can relate to your struggles ! Do not feel embarrassed, AT ALL !

We are all struggling with various aspects of life, especially attacks by demons or agents of demons...!

So always keep aware of this fundamental fact which is less emphasized in the OCA type church milieux.

Usually worldly explanations are rendered there for what are actually spiritual warfare situations !
It requires a close awareness of what is going on in that department at all times, intense vigilance.

So don't be discouraged at any problems ! All can relate !!