60 minutes Nov 18 - Young babies and morality

Discuss Religious, Moral and Ethical topics that are offtopic to other forums and that are within the boundaries of Christian morality and good taste, i.e., no pictures or videos of killings. Any politically charged material must be posted in the private Political and Social Issues forum; please PM admin for access. All rules apply. No promotion of Non-Orthodox-Christian beliefs. No baiting, flaming, or ad hominems. No polemics.
jgress
Jurisdiction: GOC/HOTCA

Re: 60 minutes Nov 18 - Young babies and morality

Post by jgress »

What I don't understand is why it has to be either/or: either people are born good, or they are born bad. It seems obvious to me that people are born neither good nor bad, but somewhere in between, which, of course, is precisely what the Church has always taught: we are born in corruption, and yet paradoxically remain fashioned in the image of God.

Matthew
Protoposter

Post by Matthew »

Yes, I think you are bringing things into focus. There is good and bad. God created us so each of us is good by design, but there is also fallenness, the results of transgression of Eden is at work in our members and the will remains free enough to maintain responsibility for our actions and behaviour. And so each of us is capable of sanctity and salvation, or sinfulness and deprivation of the Kingdom, and this must be the case to some degree or another from the time of our conception. If I said anthing other than the Orthodox position previously, I apologise and correct myself as much as I can.

Maria
Archon
Faith: True Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: GOC

Post by Maria »

Icxypion wrote:

Yes, I think you are bringing things into focus. There is good and bad. God created us so each of us is good by design, but there is also fallenness, the results of transgression of Eden is at work in our members and the will remains free enough to maintain responsibility for our actions and behaviour. And so each of us is capable of sanctity and salvation, or sinfulness and deprivation of the Kingdom, and this must be the case to some degree or another from the time of our conception. If I said anthing other than the Orthodox position previously, I apologise and correct myself as much as I can.

Only through the grace and mercy of God can we reach sanctity and be saved.
Christ's Holy Mysteries help us in our struggle to attain salvation.

Lord Jesus Christ, have mercy on me a sinner.

Matthew
Protoposter

Post by Matthew »

Amen, how very true! God help us.