Athonite Pilgrims - Share Your Experiences Here

News about traditional Orthodox monastics and how these monks and nuns are living out their vocations in monasteries and convents. All Forum Rules apply. No polemics. No heated discussions. No name-calling.

Moderator: Mark Templet

Matthew
Protoposter

Athonite Pilgrims - Share Your Experiences Here

Post by Matthew »

In this thread we hope to hear from anyone among the Men who have ever visited Mount Athos, or short of that, any men or women who personally know and have heard of any notable accounts first hand from pilgrims to Athos.

Before I share my personal accounts, I thought adding these three short commonly known accounts would be of interest, especially for anyone who may as yet have had the pleasure of hearing them:

An Young Unknown Greek Pilgrim's Surprising Experience
When I came to the Holy Mountain for the first time in 1950, I was going up from Kavsokalyvia to Saint Ann's when I lost my way, and instead of taking the path to the Skete of Saint Ann, I went up towards the peak of Athos. After I walked a good long way, I realized I was too high and looked around for some path to take me down quickly. Being in such an anxious state, I implored the Mother of God to help me and suddenly, an anchorite with a radiant face appeared before me. He was about seventy years old and his clothing showed that he had no contact with people. He was wearing a habit that looked as if it was made of sailcloth, but it was very faded and full of holes. He had fixed the holes with wooden awls, the way farmers close holes in bags when they don't have a sack-needle and string. He had a leather bag, too, discoloured, with the holes pulled together in the same way. Round his neck he had a thick chain on which a box hung down on his chest. It seems there was something holy inside!

Before I could ask him, he said to me: "My child, this is not the path to Saint Ann's", and he pointed to the right one. From his whole appearance it seemed he was a saint! Then, I asked the hermit: "Where do you live, elder?" He answered: "Somewhere round there", indicating the peak of Athos.

Since I had been wandering around left and right trying to find an elder to spiritually inform me, I had forgotten what day it was and had lost track of the date. I asked the hermit and he told me it was Friday. Then, he got out a little leather pouch, that had bits of wood inside with notches on. From the notches he was able to tell me the date. I took his blessing, went down the path he had shown me and came out at the Skete of Saint Ann. All the while, I was turning over in my mind the lambent face of the anchorite, glowing with light.

Later, when I heard that there are twelve anchorites at the peak of Athos -some said seven- thoughts filled my mind and related the incident to some experienced elders, who told me: "That would have been one of the righteous anchorites who live invisibly at the peak of Athos!"

Astonishing Account from a Lebanese Pilgrim
In the year 1977-78 the dikaios of the St. Anne's Skete was Monk Kyrillos. During the month of September he received as a guest a Lebanese Orthodox Christian, a refugee to Greece because of the war in Lebanon

This devout Lebanese had a strong desire to climb to the top of Athos. So early in the morning, with directions given by the dikaios, he began his long and exhausting ascent. On the same day during the evening, he returned to the skete's kyriakon. The following day after the Divine Liturgy, he was able with the little Greek he knew to relate the following marvellous incident:

In the location known as Babyla, below the mountain peak where the great slope begins, he stopped to rest for a moment and then continued climbing. While he was searching for a place to rest, suddenly he saw in front of him a house out of which two venerable hermits came. As soon as they saw him, they welcomed him and gave him fresh figs, which had a flavour and sweetness that he found impossible to describe, and cool water. His fatigue disappeared completely.

He also saw ten more respectable monks in the hut, each of whom was leaning on a curved "lazy stick" and praying with a prayer rope. They replied to his questions that they had been living there for a long time and did nothing else but pray for the entire world.

All these things and more filled the pilgrim with astonishment and admiration. He said that they were all of the same age. When the dikaios and the others heard, they were surprised and gave praise to God for his wonders through his saints.

A Young Bulgarian Novice Encounters a Mysterious Holy Elder
A certain youth, James, a Bulgarian, without asking for the counsel of any experienced spiritual father, attached himself to an elder, a Greek, who lived in the skete of Kavsokalyvia, in a cell below the main church. This particular elder was fond of the broad path of life. At the same time he was severe, obstinate, and altogether unskilled in the spiritual life, as one who did not seek it. James, however, aspired to the life of an ascetic; he wanted to pray and to fast, but the elder would not allow it.

James asked a spiritual father what he should do under such circumstances. The spiritual father said that he should be obedient even to such an elder, and he revealed to him what benefit he would receive if at the same time he guarded his mind and heeded the voice of his conscience. The disciple obeyed, but not without extreme inner constraint. He told his spiritual father about this and asked his blessing to go to another elder, but the spiritual father did not give his blessing and instructed him to obey him in all things. At the same time, he gave him a rule for prayer and fasting which he was to fulfill secretly, in a way that the elder would not notice. James obeyed. At night he prayed, during the day he labored, while practicing self-restraint and vigilance. It was difficult to keep this from the elder, who began to keep an eye on him, compelling him to eat and sleep more.

James made a habit of going every night to the main church, where he would pray before an icon of the Holy Trinity, located above the entrance. He had been doing this for a long time when, one night, as he was praying and sorrowing over the elder’s oppressive demands, he heard footsteps. Concealing himself, he observed an elder noiselessly enter the porch; he had a grey beard and long hair, and he was completely naked. On entering he stood before the doors to the church and, saying a prayer, made the sign of the cross over the doors, which proceeded to open of their own accord. The elder entered the church and, standing in the center, prayed for a long time, uttering the prayers aloud. When he had finished praying, the elder venerated the icons and came out. Again making the sign of the cross over the doors, which closed in the same way they had opened, he left the church.

James wanted to know just who this elder was and to ask him to accept him as a disciple. He left the church and began following the elder at a distance. From Kavsokalyvia they walked up the mountain until Kerasia, where the elder turned aside in the direction of the summit. When dawn cast its first rays they were already nearing the church of Panagia, and James finally decided to catch up with the elder. But just then the elder, who had been walking as though unaware of being followed, turned to James and said, “Where are you going?” James drew nearer and began asking if the elder would accept him. The elder replied, “You cannot live here. No one can endure this place without having divine grace. Go back to your elder and perform your obedience; this will serve for your salvation. He who has not received Divine Grace cannot live in this place. Your salvation lies with your elder. But know this; that shortly the Lord will call for you.” Continuing his way, the elder added, “There are two of us here.” And he began descending down from the “Panagia.” James related all this to his spiritual father. The latter confirmed what he had been told and instructed James how to prepare for his departure to the next world. Three weeks later James reposed.

After three years his remains were exhumed. They emitted a wondrous fragrance, and his head was full of myrrh. Many who did not know of his life were amazed, as was his elder.

Matthew
Protoposter

Re: Athonite Pilgrims - Share Your Experiences Here

Post by Matthew »

Account of a Canadian Pilgrim, Symeon

I remember the first time I went to Mount Athos in 2002. Through connexions I had, I arranged to meet with a priest in Thessaloniki, and stay at the home of one of his parish families. I asked him, "Where should I go on Mount Athos? I only have a few days to be there." The priest asked me, "Well, that depends. What do you want to see?" I thought for a moment and then said, "I want to meet a holy elder -- a saint!" "Ah," he said, "then you must see Elder John. He is a true clairvoyant elder. He lives in one of the sketes that form Agia Anna." So it was decided.

A day or so later it was all arranged. I made my way over there using the bus system. It took a few hours to get to Ouranopoli, or "Heavenly City". I got on the boat with all the other men which was largely made up of pilgrims, and a few monastics. The monasteries were amazing to behold, as the boat made its routine stops along the coast of the peninsula. One could also see many abandoned sketes and hermitages. Finally, I got off and walked up the mountain side through a tangle of small, very steep stoney trails. With a small amount of difficulty I found my way to the proper skete building, which was located a bit lower down from the main catholikon of St. Anne's Skete. I was greeted by the hosteller. I informed him of my desire to meet Elder John (Ioannis) and he asked me to wait a few minites as he left me with the customary loukoumi and Rakia or Ouzo. About 15 minutes later, a little old shrivelled up man with a crippled hand wrapped in absolutely filthy rags slowly ambled into the room. He spoke absolutely no English and the Hosteller had left us to be alone together. Doing the best I could with the small amount of Greek I knew, we greeted each other, and then he learned my name. He then asked me, "So, where are you from?" I said, "I'm from Canada." He looked thoughtful for a moment, then said, "And your father and mother, where are they from? From England? From Germany?" "Yes," I said, "My father is from England and my mother is from Germany!" then, he tried to ask me something else but I could not understand it. Then we looked at each other for a few minutes. Then he shrugged his shoulders and excused himself politely and made off.

He had discerned exactly, through the form of a question, something he could not have known, and was unlikely to have been simply a lucky guess.

Later, another pilgrim I met whilst there, the owner of a furniture store or factory in Cypress told me he was witness to this experience with Elder John. The Cypriot businessman was in the habit of organising pilgrimages for the men of his community to Athos to visit Elder John. On one such pilgrimage of a dozen or so men, they were all gathered around the elder like children about their teacher. Now, the monks of that skete under the elder John's direction make a living by writing Holy Ikons, so, while the elder was instructing the men, one of the visitors at one point requested the elder, "Elder, please have one of your monks write for me an Ikon of the Theotokos." Then to everyone's shock, the elder's countenance darkened and he abruptly retorted, "NO! No ikon for you!" Then the man, not a regular church goer, asked in surprise and bewilderment, "But why not Elder?" "Because the woman you are sleeping with now is not your wife!" Then all the men were bowled over by this revelation. Especially because after that, he admitted to this secret adulterous relationship that he had kept hidden.

NOTE about the same Elder John of Agia Anna
It should be known that I later learned that this elder is, in fact, a sham clairvoyant, inasmuch as his revelations are from the demons, as they were with the Ecumenist "Clairvoyant" Porphyrios before him. This is clear because some years ago, perhaps around 2006 or so, when the authorities of the Phanar were leaning heavily on the leaders of Athos at Karyes to get rid of that pesky little group of hold-outs at Esphigmenou, they agreed, as part of their plan to displace the monks of Esphigmenou, to establish a "Legally Recognised and Rightful" Brotherhood of Esphigmenou. They had asked this same Elder John to be the abbot of the Pseudo Esphigmenou brotherhood who were to move in and occupy the buildings of Esphigmenou and its famously well stocked treasury, as soon as they were vacant by having the Real Brotherhood evicted by the police force battalion. Elder John, that "pious, holy, illumined, and clairvoyant man of God" unbelievably accepted to carry out this dark and nefarious task! Like a Judas, he agreed to stab his brother monks, who were suffering gloriously for Christ, in the back. The new "legal brotherhood" began to recieve, then, along with all the other mail, all the redirected money donations that were being mailed into the Holy Mountain and addressed "For the Holy Monastery of Esphigmenou". So they became thieves as well.

The wrath of God was not long in being revealed. During the summer of the year in which this was taking place, a lightning bolt struck, of all the buildings and tall trees on the entire peninsula, none other than the house of Elder John himself, and set the building ablaze! The building was damaged and the Elder, though dark with avarice and a lust for power and prestige, had enough sense to see what this act of God meant. He immediately informed the Athonite authorities that he no longer agreed to be the replacement abbot of the "Legal Esphigmenou." But, ironically, while he recongnised correctly the special love of God for Esphigmenou and His protection over that monastery of confessors, he was too enslaved to his passions and vice to either see or act on the obvious conclusion of the matter: The New Calendarists on Athos, though they keep the Old Calendar on the Holy Mountain are still enemies of God, and it is the Old Calendar Confessors who are the True Orthodox God desires to protect. He therefore ought logically to have not only rejected the offer to be the Judas Abbot, but also to depart from communion with the heretic World Orthodox and join himself and his brotherhood to the TOC. So dark are they and enslaved that when they are faced with an undeniable and powerful demonstration of God's displeasure upon them, they yet continue onward wilfully in their sins and apostasy.

Barbara
Protoposter

Post by Barbara »

This looks FASCINATING-
Thank you Symeon.

The discussion of the fake elder looks SO edifying,
can't wait to read through it after my job is over today.

joasia
Protoposter
Jurisdiction: RTOC

Post by joasia »

Glory be to God. When the heart is open to truth then God reveals so much to them who are seeking His guidance and teaches them discernment. But, those who go there for the wrong reasons fall into prelest.

Create in me a clean heart, O God, and renew a right spirit within me. (Ps. 50)

IXOYE

Post by IXOYE »

The story entitled, "An Young Unknown Greek Pilgrim's Surprising Experience" is in the book Athonite Fathers, Athonite Matters by Fr. Paisios (Eznepidis) of Mt. Athos.

IXOYE

Post by IXOYE »

P.S. While the title to the story is different in the book, the text of the story is the same.

Matthew
Protoposter

Post by Matthew »

I see. I found them on the internet as I was searching for info on the topic at hand. Thank you for the sources. Have you got any of your own accounts of Mount Athos to share with us, or at least some account you heard directly from those who you know? If so, please share those accounts with us. We very much will benefit from them.