Forgiveness Sunday 2013

The practice of living the life in Christ: fasting, vigil lamps, head-coverings, family life, icon corners, and other forms of Orthopraxy. All Forum Rules apply. No polemics. No heated discussions. No name-calling.
soldier
Jurisdiction: ROAC

Re: Forgiveness Sunday 2013

Post by soldier »

Yes, once a year is better than nothing. My point is that we should humble ourselves and seek reconciliation with everyone; not just people in church.

We all fall seven times a day or more? Where did you get that from? Orthodoxy taught me that my very existence is repulsive.

Maria
Archon
Faith: True Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: GOC

Post by Maria »

soldier wrote:

Yes, once a year is better than nothing. My point is that we should humble ourselves and seek reconciliation with everyone; not just people in church.

Exactly. When one offends others inside or outside the church, then it is important to be humble and apologize to them as soon as our offense is realized. However, it is also necessary that Christians do not cast their pearls among swine. For example, if I were to offend a non-religious work associate, I would not become so emotional and cry as Paula Deen did. That kind of hysterical apology would obviously backfire.

If a person whom I have offended would not accept my apology even if I did apologize, it would be better to keep silent but show that I am sorry by a change in my behavior. I had that happen when I was a member of a World Orthodox jurisdiction. There was a person who was like harassing and stalking me as she has a severe mental illness. I sent her a written apology, but I refrained from apologizing to her in person because her expectations were not realistic. I had to stay away from her to avoid any more ugly scenes.

We all fall seven times a day or more? Where did you get that from?

St. John the Theologian said that if a man says that he does not sin, then that man is a liar. One of the psalms mentions that we fall seven times a day or more. We are to forgive often as Christ forgives us up to seventy times seventy (or more).

Orthodoxy taught me that my very existence is repulsive.

Then the person who taught you is wrong as God created man and saw that His creation was good. God desires the repentance of sinners. He truly cares for us, and loves us so much that He (Christ God) died on the Cross for us. Hence, our existence is not repulsive. Truly, our sins are grievous in His sight, but if we come to God in repentance, He will cleanse us, and even though our sins are scarlet, He will make us whiter than snow.

Lord Jesus Christ, have mercy on me a sinner.

Barbara
Protoposter

Post by Barbara »

Sidetrack : Maria, why would someone stalk you, what is the background of that ? It sounds weird.

Then SHE should have apologized to you ; not you to her, right ?

Maria
Archon

Post by Maria »

Barbara wrote:

Sidetrack : Maria, why would someone stalk you, what is the background of that ? It sounds weird.

Then SHE should have apologized to you ; not you to her, right ?

In this case, even though she was also at fault, her mental processes were not working right. She was hysterical, and unstable, and demanded an apology without looking at what triggered this entire event (her stalking controlling behavior). Furthermore, she wanted to meet with me in the Priest's office and have another round. I refused to meet her knowing that she could blow up and possibly assault me. Thus, I sent her a written apology with the permission of the priest. Then he talked with her, and she calmed down a little. Ultimately, the bishop had to reprimand her as she had hurt a lot of people, fail to recognize her shortcomings, and would no longer listen to the priest.

Sometimes those who are stronger must apologize to the weaker ones, with the hope that those who are weak will be able to face their own faults and repent with the grace of God because mercy and love have been shown them first.

soldier
Jurisdiction: ROAC

Post by soldier »

Maria,

There is no way you could know whether or not a person would accept your apology.

And it is judgmental to assume a person a "swine", in order to avoid the humility of seeking reconciliation. I think when Christ talks about not casting pearls before swine, he is recommending that people don't cast the Gospel onto people who are unwilling to embrace it.

Maria
Archon

Post by Maria »

soldier wrote:

Maria,

There is no way you could know whether or not a person would accept your apology.

And it is judgmental to assume a person a "swine", in order to avoid the humility of seeking reconciliation. I think when Christ talks about not casting pearls before swine, he is recommending that people don't cast the Gospel onto people who are unwilling to embrace it.

Soldier, this person did not accept my written letter of apology. I talked with the priest, and he too realized that she would not accept my apology even if I had given her an open and public apology. Her bishop realized this too and excommunicated her for a period of one year due to her frequent outbursts in the church and in the hall where she embarrassed people.

I did not refer to her as "swine." Please read my statement in context. The comment not to cast your pearls among swine refers to the non-Orthodox, especially non believers who would desecrate anything sacred if given the chance, thus you are taking my comment out of context.

As an example, we have the pre-communion prayer below. We are not to talk about Holy Communion (Mystery) among non-believers, as that would be casting pearls among swine.

• Of Thy Mystic Supper, O Son of God, receive me today as a communicant; for I will not speak of the Mystery to Thine enemies; nor will I give Thee a kiss as did Judas.

A Prayer Book for Orthodox Christians, HTM, 2009, p. 372

joasia
Protoposter
Jurisdiction: RTOC

Post by joasia »

soldier wrote:

The Orthodox have become expert at presenting a facade of piety when they know people are looking at them in church. But how many of these people actually take the principle of Forgiveness Sunday, and carry it through consistently? How many of these people humble themselves and contact people they've held grudges against from some petty email dispute they had years before? It's difficult to act righteous when no one is watching you.

Those who want to follow Christ follow through with repentance throughout the whole year. Everytime they prepare for Holy Communion they need to go to Holy Cofession. Holy Confession is a big deal because God will deal with that person if their confessions were fake. You can't really make an arguement about how many of these people really mean it, because it's a bogus arguement. Nobody knows who is really sincere.

The main point is are YOU sincere??

And I don't understand your statement of the Orthodox being experts at presenting a facade of piety. What's your beef, man? Is it against a group or a person??

Get off this ride because you will crash. Either share the truth or stop making allegations, because that's a sin...and you will have to confess it if you are truly pious.

Create in me a clean heart, O God, and renew a right spirit within me. (Ps. 50)