if anyone needs a good kulichi recipe...

basil

Post by basil »

Yes, Miriam, could you post that pascha recipe? The one we made last year wasn't so great.

Thanks.

Miriam

Post by Miriam »

Okay here goes......

This is made from raw ingredients. There is no cooking involved. Lots of muscle, but no cooking. For those who have concerns regarding "bacteri"... take the necessary precautions. I have used this recipe for simply years with absolutely NO problems.

Ingredients.

1. 2 lbs of farmers cheese... buy the one pound blocks if you can.
  2. one pound of butter do not melt but soften to room temperature
  3. one pound of sugar
  4. 5 egg yolks (Freeze the whites in an ice cube tray for later use)
  5. Flavoring. I use real vanilla extract, but you can use vanilla beans or any other flavoring.... however I can only attest to vanilla. I've tried lemon...it's okay but not great.

Utensils:
2 large bowls
a fine mesh sieve
large spoon
Mixer
Cheese cloth
some sort of mold.

Traditional molds are wooden pyramid shapes. These can usually be found through someone at church, if you have no luck a large plastic flower pot works just as well. Just make sure you have holes in the bottom of the pot. .... Very Important!!!

Before you begin wrap the cheese in paper towels to "dry" the excess moisture. Prepare a bowl and a fine mesh sieve. Using the back of a spoon (wooden or metal) push the cheese through the mesh of the sieve. This breaks up the graininess of the cheese. Set the chesee to the side.

In a big bowl, beat your egg yolks until they are a bright yellow color. Next, begin incorporating a tablespoon of butter at a time until it's well mixed. Next begin adding a spoonful of cheese and a spoonful of sugar, alernating until all is in mixed in. Beat until you get a well mixed custard. Scape the bowl often!

Dampen the cheese cloth and line the sides of your mold. Try not the stretch out the cheese cloth too much. Leave the excess cloth hanging over the sides.

Pour or better yet....spoon the cheese mixture into your mold. Make sure there are no air pockets. I usually hold the mold and inch off the work surface and sort of "drop" it a time or two. Once your mold is full, cover the top with the excess cheese cloth. Place your mold in a bowl. Make sure there is room at the bottom for drainage and place it in your refridgerator.

Place a small plate (if using pot) or square wooden block (if using the pyramid) ....on top of the cheese cloth. Get something heavy.....I use a brick in a plastic bag....and place it on top of the the mold.

You want to compress the mixture. Leave in the refrigerator for about a week. Be sure to empty the bowl under your mold of any liquids. The first few days there should be a lot of liquid...very syrupy. Toward the end of the week there should be none.

This recipe freezes well. You can make this ahead. Just be sure not to remove the cheese cloth and wrap well in heavy duty freezer aluminum paper. On Pascha unmold an hour or two before you expect to serve it. Unmold onto a plate and remove the cheese cloth. Let it stand at room temperature until ready to serve.

Enjoy!

Last edited by Miriam on Sat 26 March 2005 11:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Maria
Archon
Faith: True Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: GOC

Post by Maria »

Miriam wrote:

I have a great recipe for a Cheese Pascha if anyone if interested....Simple and little fuss.....

Mira

I"m interested especially if it is egg-free. I am allergic to eggs.

Thanks.

Lord Jesus Christ, have mercy on me a sinner.

Miriam

Post by Miriam »

Sorry, Maria,

I don't have any recipes which do not use eggs or yolks....

Mira

valentina_1

Post by valentina_1 »

:lol:

I have a great recipe for a Cheese Pascha if anyone if interested....Simple and little fuss.....

Hello Mira,

Would it be possible to share the recipe with us. My favourite. Thanks!

Miriam

Post by Miriam »

Valentina:

See a few posts above...... I already posted the recipe....Enjoy!

Mira

valentina_1

Post by valentina_1 »

Thanks! Mira,

Somehow, once I posted the message, I found it.

If I cannot find farmers cheese, what do you suggest?
Have a good lent.

Valya