Arius: Heresy & Tradition

Chapter discussions and book or film reviews of Orthodox Christian and secular books that you have read and found helpful. All Forum Rules apply.
Vespasian

Arius: Heresy & Tradition

Post by Vespasian »

In doing some historical research on the relationship of St. Constatine the Great and the Church, I ended up spending most of my time on the Heresy of Arius and how it was handled by the Nicean Christians (Orthodox) and the emperor. A major source was Arius, Heresy & Tradition by Rowan Willaims.

I cannot say that I agreed with the author's viewpionts on all matters, but the book is of high value in understanding Arius and the great heresy he created. In thinking about Arius, I have always asked, how can a man, a priest, come to the conclusion that Jesus Christ is a creation of God the Father, and lesser than Him? I think this book does a good job in presenting the biography, history, and theology at play.

What I take from this are some dangers we all need to be mindful of. The following is what I have taken from the book:

Arius was a charismatic and educated priest. He was a good public speaker and good writer. He could spin his story well. He was well loved by his parishoners and had a strong persuasive power. Arius' intellectualism got the better of him, either though the influence of Satan or his own pride. Arius looked to the "modern" ideas of the time, Neoplatanism mostly, and looked to apply its pricinciples to the Christian Faith. Through analysis and philosophical reasoning, he took the path of departure from Church tradition and came up to describe and explain a matter of faith. His reasoning and use of philosophy led him to the conclusion that Jesus Christ was a creation of the Father, of lesser status than He. The Christ was not fully God in the manner as the Father was. To me, for one to take this path, he lost his faith and turned to world and its logic and reasoning.

The description of the theological points of Arius' heresy are well structed from a philospohical and mental logic point of view, but was is lacking in them is Faith, Love, and Hope. All things that the belief in the Trinity gives us.

This books gives me a better understand of Arius, his reasoning, and the nature of heresy in general. Hersies can differ greatly in thier logic and reasoning, but at the heart they are all the same, they deny the truth of Jesus Christ.

For those of you who have an interst in theology, or have questions about Arius and his heresy, I recommend this book. It has helped me to better understand Orthodoxy, church history, and gives me a better ability to defend the Nicean Creed.