Which Renderings Of This Prayer Do You Use?

Which rendering do you prefer?

Jordanville (1979)

33%

Jordanville (1996)

60%

Antiochian

7%

OCA

No votes

Other (please tell us which one)

No votes

Total votes: 15

Jakub

Post by Jakub »

Has anyone used the Orthodox Prayer Book from St. Tikhon's or compared it with the Jordanville ?

James

Justin Kissel

Post by Justin Kissel »

My wife and I have a small one, that has both Slavonik and English in it, is that the St. Tikhon's book you mean? We haven't really used it a whole lot thus far, so we aren't very familiar with it. Is there something in particular you were curious about?

Jakub

Post by Jakub »

Paradosis,

I was thinking of getting the Tikhon or a Old Believers to add to my Jordanville. Which do you prefer if any ?

james

Liudmilla
Sr Member

Post by Liudmilla »

I checked my Jordanville prayer book (from 1960) this prayer is printed in the same version as the 1979 one. I guess it's a question of habit.

rebecca

Post by rebecca »

Paradosis wrote:

In the minds of Protestants, after that it would have been perfectly natural for Mary to have sex with Joseph since "sex isn't dirty" and "they were married" (and they don't have any of the traditions that the Orthodox Church does that would make this unlikely, if not downright foolish).

I've heard RC priests quoted as saying that!

"Theotokos" is better than "Mother of God" in some ways because for inquirers, the latter may conjure up an image of a preexistant "goddess" who is the "mother" of not just Jesus in his incarnation, but of God as a whole. And this would give them more fodder for dissing our veneration of the Theotokos.

Justin Kissel

Post by Justin Kissel »

Good point /\