What goes into setting up an Orthodox Mission?

Handmaiden50
Jr Member
Jurisdiction: GOAA

What goes into setting up an Orthodox Mission?

Post by Handmaiden50 »

I got to thinking last night, what all goes into setting up an Orthodox Mission? I am an inquirer so I am not familiar, but this is my logic - If there a handful of people interested but they don't all live in the same city, but within say a 100+ mile radius of each other, couldn't you hold regular reader services initially via Skype and then whenever a priest from a TOC was available to have divine liturgy (as an example, say every 2 months) at that time everyone would make the trek to one central location? Has anyone heard of something being done that is similar?

I am in the Piedmont region of North Carolina.

"Oh Christ my Savior, save me whether I want it or not! Come quickly, hurry, for I perish!"

Barbara
Protoposter

Re: What goes into setting up an Orthodox Mission?

Post by Barbara »

That's a very sensible suggestion<
Quite a practical idea : I hope it could work anywhere in the world, in fact !

Importantly, the better plans are created, the easier it would be to implement new missions.
Therefore if a main model could be produced for How to Start UP a mission in your area", then this could be replicated anywhere in the world, or at least anywhere in the Western Hemisphere.

[ Of course, I have never used Skype myself. I am assuming it would be a good tool for the readers services.
Anyone else know if Skype could work ? ]

Agios_Irineos

Post by Agios_Irineos »

I am not adverse to technology, but I do not really believe it has a place as the means of holding services. Our worship is corporate, and in my mind there is not a "body" worshiping together via internet connections. I am unaware of any bishops who have blessed holding internet services (as opposed to broadcasting a local service over the internet).

Reading the Typica or Hours at home with your family, IMO would be highly preferable to any internet based worship service. Watching the broadcast of a local service would also be preferable I think.

I do think Skype (or other tools) could be used as a catechetical tool for inquirers by offering classes and discussion groups.

Mark Templet

Post by Mark Templet »

Setting up a mission has many land mines that are not apparent at first. PM me if you want some advice on avoiding some of the traps.

Fr. Mark Templet
ROAC