Formerly "Intra-TOC Private Discussions."

Maria
Archon
Faith: True Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: GOC

Re: Novelties of Kyrikos: Re-Baptising all Baptized Orthodox Christians

Post by Maria »

Good to see you once again, Isaakos!

"Conditional" is a term used by those in Roman Catholicism that is foreign to Orthodoxy.

Either a person was baptized using the correct form or he was never baptized.

Chrismation (like Holy Orders) confirms, sanctifies, and heals that which was imperfect, but the initial Baptismal form must be correct.

Lord Jesus Christ, have mercy on me a sinner.

Isaakos
Faith: Roman Catholic
Jurisdiction: Latin- Discerning the GOC’s.

Post by Isaakos »

Hello Maria!

Actually there is historical precedent for Conditional baptisms in Orthodoxy. For example, when happening upon abandoned infants and children in Tsarist Russia, and no one can determine one way or the other.

The funny thing is that the New Calendarists don't recognize Old Calendarist baptism. That's the pot calling the kettle black!

But I do think there is room to receive with akrivia today, and I will tell you why. Most schismatics today have been compounded by heresy. For example, Metropolitan Chrysostomos of Thessaloniki was a Matthewite hierarch. He split from the 5 who left over the issue of iconography and is now alone. He is a eutychian. He believes Christ had a fleshly body before the Incarnation. This is heresy. So those who leave his Church ought to be received as heretics, not just schismatics, see what I mean? It's so tangled today.

“What exactly are you here for?”

“…To see with eyes unclouded by hate.”

Maria
Archon
Faith: True Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: GOC

Post by Maria »

Isaakos wrote:

Hello Maria!

Actually there is historical precedent for Conditional baptisms in Orthodoxy. For example, when happening upon abandoned infants and children in Tsarist Russia, and no one can determine one way or the other.

The funny thing is that the New Calendarists don't recognize Old Calendarist baptism. That's the pot calling the kettle black!

But I do think there is room to receive with akrivia today, and I will tell you why. Most schismatics today have been compounded by heresy. For example, Metropolitan Chrysostomos of Thessaloniki was a Matthewite hierarch. He split from the 5 who left over the issue of iconography and is now alone. He is a eutychian. He believes Christ had a fleshly body before the Incarnation. This is heresy. So those who leave his Church ought to be received as heretics, not just schismatics, see what I mean? It's so tangled today.

Re: Conditional Baptism
Interesting. Was this situation found in other areas of the world during war, famine, or disease? How did the Church handle those orphans?

Re: New Calendarist
When did the New Calendarists (the EP, right?) start to rebaptize those Old Calendarists who left us?

Re: Eutychian beliefs
Could this be a misinterpretation of what Met. Chrysostomos of Thessalonkiki actually believes?

We see in Icons that Christ is depicted with a body as the Pre-Incarnate Lord and God, as a prefiguration of the Holy Incarnation in time, but God is above and outside of time as we know it. Time is a human concept.

• Thus Jesus Christ walked with Adam and Eve in the Garden of Eden before the Fall.
    He appeared as Melchizedek in Genesis, Who had no origin, but Who was a High Priest.
    He appeared as an Angel when the Three Youths were tossed into the Fiery Furnace.

Even one of our festal hymns before Christmas honors Christ as the Pre-Incarnate God.

Lord Jesus Christ, have mercy on me a sinner.