Differences between RTOC and ROCOR-V

Formerly "Intra-TOC Private Discussions."

jdigrande
Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: RTOC

Differences between RTOC and ROCOR-V

Post by jdigrande »

Can anyone explain to me the differences between RTOC and ROCOR/V (under Vladimir)? I looked on both sites and cannot find much on why they split with each other. I only know that Bishop Vladimir was ordained by Met Vitaly and Varnava at Mansonville.

I also know that Met Vitaly sent a letter to Archbishop Lazarus in Russia allowing him to operate independently. At present I see many parishes and monasteries under ROCOR-V in Ukraine, whereas RTOC has very little presence except for Odessa. ROCOR/V also has many more parishes and monasteries in North America.

Has there been any evidence of talks between the two Synods to repair their split?

Justice
Sr Member
Faith: Deism
Jurisdiction: Possible Inquirer

Re: Differences between RTOC and ROCOR-V

Post by Justice »

jdigrande wrote:

Can anyone explain to me the differences between RTOC and ROCOR/V (under Vladimir)? I looked on both sites and cannot find much on why they split with each other. I only know that Bishop Vladimir was ordained by Met Vitaly and Varnava at Mansonville.

I also know that Met Vitaly sent a letter to Archbishop Lazarus in Russia allowing him to operate independently. At present I see many parishes and monasteries under ROCOR-V in Ukraine, whereas RTOC has very little presence except for Odessa. ROCOR/V also has many more parishes and monasteries in North America.

Has there been any evidence of talks between the two Synods to repair their split?

Well, the Russian True Orthodox church was created by the ROCOR in 1994, years before the ordination of Archbishop Vladimir. The reason the RTOC doesn't have many parishes is because of a recent schism initiated by Bishop Stefan of Trenton. (who has as of this year been deposed by the RTOC) To my knowledge there hasn't been any talks. The more likely union is with the ROAC under Metropolitan Theodore.

jdigrande
Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: RTOC

Re: Differences between RTOC and ROCOR-V

Post by jdigrande »

But Bishop Stefan has one parish at most in Ukraine (Chernigov) while ROCOR/V has two bishops and a multitude of parishes and monasteries in Ukraine that predate Bishop Stefan and his group for many years. RTOC has no presence in Kiev while ROCOR-V has a very strong presence there.
I agree that Archbishop Lazarus was ordained in 94 but he was a part of ROCOR then and his church was not called RTOC to my knowledge. That term (RTOC) came much later to distinguish itself from the other splinters of which ROCOR/V was one of the largest.

What divides these to groups? Is the divide based on canonical problems or dogmatic problems. That is my real question and if one can supply me with some documents on both sides of the argument, that would be appreciated.