Bishop Stephan of Trenton leaves RTOC

Formerly "Intra-TOC Private Discussions."

Matthew
Protoposter

Re: Bishop Stephan of Trenton leaves RTOC

Post by Matthew »

Jean-Serge wrote:

I do not see all the signs of the end of time. People were already seeing the end of times in the 2nd century... So, some moderation is welcome on the topic of end of time.

Dear Jean-Serge,
Indeed, we must be cautious about End Time speculations--as to where we are now exactly in the unfolding of things. The Lord Jesus Christ says in Matthew 24:6, "And ye shall hear of wars and rumours of wars: see that ye be not troubled: for all these things must come to pass, but the end is not yet." Many have for centuries given us plenty of "cautionary tales" by their ill-founded theories and rash actions thinking that they had "cracked the prophetic code" of the Scriptures on the End Times. On the other hand, while it is wise to take this point into consideration, it is not the "Shield of Wisdom" to merely consider that side of possible error, but we should also guard ourselves from falling into the other equally ruinous error also: namely, that we should imagine with just a little bit too much confidence or caution that "it is not yet," or "not in this decade," or even "not in my lifetime". This could also be a perilous error -- if it should be, in fact, in our own time that the sorrows and calamities that are part of the very end; yes, in our time and if we had been watching more carefully and attentively and beseeching God to not be caught unawares that we would have prepared ourselves better or avoided being in more perilous situations or locations and so forth. For, Christ also said, much concerning being in a state of expectation of the ARRIVAL of the End rather than the DELAY of the terrible and great judgements preceding the Coming of Christ. I will copy the third chapter of Second Peter in full on this point and wish to encourage the slow and thoughtful reading of it all, word by word, and not to skip through it hastily on the reasoning that, "I have read this already. I know this passage already." We are all in need of being put in remembrance at deeper level than a momentary mental cognitive flash of a few words or statements, but rather to allow the water to moisten and soften the hardness of our hearts so that the water may penetrate deep into the ground or soil of our hearts make make our heart fertile and receptive to the word preached and then to find that we are put more deeply and effectively into remembrance, where our whole beings begin to remember and spring back to life, not merely our brains for a split second or two but which yields no fruit or change, and we find ourselves robbed of deepening our understanding with more than intellectual thoughts. Instead we would equip ourselves deeply and more readily for salvation itself and entry into the Kingdom of Christ, from which we know, many shall find themselves cast out despite their faith.

This second epistle, beloved, I now write unto you; in both which I stir up your pure minds by way of remembrance: 2That ye may be mindful of the words which were spoken before by the holy prophets, and of the commandment of us the apostles of the Lord and Saviour:

3Knowing this first, that there shall come in the last days scoffers, walking after their own lusts, 4And saying, Where is the promise of his coming? for since the fathers fell asleep, all things continue as they were from the beginning of the creation. 5For this they willingly are ignorant of, that by the word of God the heavens were of old, and the earth standing out of the water and in the water: 6Whereby the world that then was, being overflowed with water, perished: 7But the heavens and the earth, which are now, by the same word are kept in store, reserved unto fire against the day of judgment and perdition of ungodly men.

8But, beloved, be not ignorant of this one thing, that one day is with the Lord as a thousand years, and a thousand years as one day. 9The Lord is not slack concerning his promise, as some men count slackness; but is longsuffering to us-ward, not willing that any should perish, but that all should come to repentance.

The Day of the Lord
(Zephaniah 1:7-18; 1 Thessalonians 5:1-11)

10But the day of the Lord will come as a thief in the night; in the which the heavens shall pass away with a great noise, and the elements shall melt with fervent heat, the earth also and the works that are therein shall be burned up.

11Seeing then that all these things shall be dissolved, what manner of persons ought ye to be in all holy conversation and godliness, 12Looking for and hasting unto the coming of the day of God, wherein the heavens being on fire shall be dissolved, and the elements shall melt with fervent heat? 13Nevertheless we, according to his promise, look for new heavens and a new earth, wherein dwelleth righteousness.

Final Exhortations
14Wherefore, beloved, seeing that ye look for such things, be diligent that ye may be found of him in peace, without spot, and blameless. 15And account that the longsuffering of our Lord is salvation; even as our beloved brother Paul also according to the wisdom given unto him hath written unto you; 16As also in all his epistles, speaking in them of these things; in which are some things hard to be understood, which they that are unlearned and unstable wrest, as they do also the other scriptures, unto their own destruction. 17Ye therefore, beloved, seeing ye know these things before, beware lest ye also, being led away with the error of the wicked, fall from your own stedfastness. 18But grow in grace, and in the knowledge of our Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ. To him be glory both now and for ever. Amen.

Barbara
Protoposter

Post by Barbara »

igor,

Thanks for replying. That is the reason i had suspected. Sigh. I agree : it's really a bad image for the TOC's.

The Lincoln, CA Vladimirskaya Convent stayed under Archbishop Vladimir, I suppose. His must be the main faction.

It's great you are keeping us all informed about this news, though of course we are sorry to hear of the further divisions, like you say.

igor

Post by igor »

Yes, the convent ( one nun - she is also the Abbess) in CA is with Abp Vladimir

Barbara
Protoposter

Post by Barbara »

Wha- a - t ?? No. Really ? It's only Mother Isihia now ?
I mean, of course that's sad that the other venerable nuns have reposed. They were from China and suffered so much.

But really this must be the only Convent on the planet like this : Abbess and the Community are one and the same individual.
Material for the Guinness Book of Orthodox World Records.

It's too bad Mother Isihia has not been able to attract any novices.
Is it a big plot of land the Convent bought up in that area ? I wonder whether they built any chapels or Churches during this time. Or it's just rudimentary buildings to start.

I doubt they have a website to see any photos.

Thanks so much igor. Really appreciate your giving us these vital pieces of news, dismaying as they are.

igor

Post by igor »

Old nuns reposed , two novices left.
I believe M Isihia has a good plot of land - she keeps horses.

Barbara
Protoposter

Post by Barbara »

Ah, there are 2 novices.
That sounds like fun the part about having horses !

Do they have a chapel yet ? Which makes me question : is it a permanent location for them ? Or will they move elsewhere ?

Does Mother Isihia's name come from a feminine form of Isaiah ? I always pictured it was Japanese, because it looks like it could be. And I know she is Japanese. But her name must be from an Orthodox Saint of course.

So she finally got supreme power there.

igor

Post by igor »

Sorry , I meant 2 novices left the convent after the repose of Mother Evgenia.
M Isihia on her own - she does have a chapel
and some people come for services.
Yes, it must be fun to have horses . Especially if you have time and money.