Fasting

bogoliubtsy
Sr Member

Post by bogoliubtsy »

Munchkins don't have eggs or dairy?! It's a good day my friend...a good day. /\

With this attitude I'm probably missing the point of fasting...hmmm.

OrthodoxyOrDeath

Post by OrthodoxyOrDeath »

Methodius mentions above that with all of the food alternatives these days it is much easier to fast.

I think that is very true, once you've become accustomed to the do's and the don'ts - but that only applies to home.

Ever travel for any reason during a fast? It is virtually impossible to eat without going to the grocery store and buying a banana and fig newtons (but only the off brand because they don't have Whey :) ).

Julianna

Post by Julianna »

Our Burger King's got Veggie Burgers now. They'll have mayo on them unless you'll ask for none 'cause mayo has eggs in it

I'll usually get a salad bar if I'm traveling during a Lenten season

Justin2

Post by Justin2 »

...so do most veggie burgers... :|

Julianna

Post by Julianna »

Yeah you've really gottta watch out Gardenburger makes ones with eggs and without. This proves label reading's important :shock:

Justin2

Post by Justin2 »

The best bet for lenten burgers is the "Vegan Boca Burger". I know this for sure. Actually, you might want to check for olive oil. Also, I'm curious as to why we shouldn't apply oil to all cooking oil, since olive oil was used for cooking everything back then, and not just for salads, etc. Does anyone have any input? I know of pious Greeks who don't eat any kind of oil on these days (of course, I know of pious Greeks who eat vinegar on their salads and in their soup so it won't taste to fancy...talk about being a better man than I....)

TomS
Protoposter

Post by TomS »

I don't want to come off sounding like a total freak, but here is my opinion --

If you substitute soy milk for dairy milk - you are not keeping the fast.

If you substitute Canola oil for Olive Oil - you are not keeping the fast.

If you use Egg substitutes instead of not eating eggs - you are not keeping the fast.

Because I think that if all of the above substitutes were around at the time the fasts were started - they would have been outlawed too.

So, I just abstain from meat, wine and dairy.

I knew a Muslim girl when I was in college and they TRULY fast. Not a drop of water or a crumb of food from sun-up to sun-down. Put's us Christians to shame.

Forgive me if I offended.

----------------------------------------------------
They say that I am bad news. They say "Stay Away."