Sts. Tikhon & John of San Francisco on the Western Rite

Formerly "Intra-TOC Private Discussions."

Jean-Serge
Protoposter

Re: Sts. Tikhon & John of San Francisco on the Western Rite

Post by Jean-Serge »

Lydia wrote:

There are Pre-schism western rites that are still performed today, such as The Mozarabic-Visigothic. Could these not be "adjusted?'
The arguments in favor of Western Rites that I have heard are to make the liturgy more comfortable for converts. My experience has been that it is not the Divine Liturgy that is a difficulty but rather, the use of languages like Slavonic or Ancient Greek (rather than native languages.)

Acutally, the Mozarabic rite suffered from later additions that make it no longer original. Additionnally, a rite is not only the liturgy (mass), but also the other services, the way of singing, the liturgical ornaments, the gestures etc. I doubt it is possible to find the original things of these Western Rite. Moreover, who would need this since they haven't been used for century and are forgotten by any inquirer to orthdoxy. They would seem as exotic as byzantine rite. The difficulty is like Lydia stressed the celbration in missionary context in non native languages, which is the best way not to be missionary. All the missionaries translated in what was the common language of their time and place : Saint Etienne of Perm in Zyriane for the Zyrianes, Romanian switched to Romanian in the 18th century, Arabs abandonned Greek for Arab etc.

Priidite, poklonimsja i pripadem ko Hristu.

Isaakos
Faith: Roman Catholic
Jurisdiction: Latin- Discerning the GOC’s.

Post by Isaakos »

Jean-Serge wrote:
Lydia wrote:

There are Pre-schism western rites that are still performed today, such as The Mozarabic-Visigothic. Could these not be "adjusted?'
The arguments in favor of Western Rites that I have heard are to make the liturgy more comfortable for converts. My experience has been that it is not the Divine Liturgy that is a difficulty but rather, the use of languages like Slavonic or Ancient Greek (rather than native languages.)

Acutally, the Mozarabic rite suffered from later additions that make it no longer original. Additionnally, a rite is not only the liturgy (mass), but also the other services, the way of singing, the liturgical ornaments, the gestures etc. I doubt it is possible to find the original things of these Western Rite. Moreover, who would need this since they haven't been used for century and are forgotten by any inquirer to orthdoxy. They would seem as exotic as byzantine rite. The difficulty is like Lydia stressed the celbration in missionary context in non native languages, which is the best way not to be missionary. All the missionaries translated in what was the common language of their time and place : Saint Etienne of Perm in Zyriane for the Zyrianes, Romanian switched to Romanian in the 18th century, Arabs abandonned Greek for Arab etc.

I agree with you Jean!

“What exactly are you here for?”

“…To see with eyes unclouded by hate.”

Maria
Archon
Faith: True Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: GOC

Post by Maria »

Antiochian parishes use liturgical Arabic, which is not spoken today.

Liturgical Greek is also not spoken today, so some of the Divine Liturgy in Greek is not understandable to native Greek peoples.

Church Slavonic is also not modern day Russian.

The older form of English employed by HOCNA (so called King James English) is not consistent. This was noticeable in their book of Psalms and in their Divine Liturgy, where there are many errors.

Lord Jesus Christ, have mercy on me a sinner.

Lydia
Faith: Russian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Ex-HOCNA and searching

Post by Lydia »

Maria wrote:

Liturgical Greek is also not spoken today, so some of the Divine Liturgy in Greek is not understandable to native Greek peoples.

The older form of English employed by HOCNA (so called King James English) is not consistent. This was noticeable in their book of Psalms and in their Divine Liturgy, where there are many errors.

So, nobody understands anything. Right.
English translations are inconsistent and full of errors.Right.
How would you know if nobody understands anything, right?

Seriously though...Let's just all be overwhelved by the exotic pageantry and forget about what's being said.
No wonder there are so few converts to True Orthodoxy. But I guess that means more for us! Yea!

Isaakos

Post by Isaakos »

Lydia wrote:
Maria wrote:

Seriously though...Let's just all be overwhelved by the exotic pageantry and forget about what's being said.
No wonder there are so few converts to True Orthodoxy. But I guess that means more for us! Yea!

Do you come from a Protestant background or Roman Catholic background? I come from a traditionalist Catholic background, hence the love of liturgical language and the hatred of liturgical innovation.

Lydia
Faith: Russian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Ex-HOCNA and searching

Post by Lydia »

Philaret The-Zealot wrote:
Lydia wrote:
Maria wrote:

Do you come from a Protestant background or Roman Catholic background? I come from a traditionalist Catholic background, hence the love of liturgical language and the hatred of liturgical innovation.

I was baptized into The Russian Orthodox Church when I was 8 days old. Before that, I can't remember :D
I have a question for you Philaret: When was the first time you attended an Orthodox Liturgy? Were you still a Roman Catholic?

Isaakos

Post by Isaakos »

Yep. A New Calendar GREEK Parish that used about 70% english, 30% GREEK and Arabic Slavonic and Romanian. Very multi-ethnic with a priest who had lived in GREECE 20 years, but was from California. I think the Liturgy should be in the people's language, but I just don't think it should be "vulgar" as in common or profane language. Our every day english is literally "profane" as in "outside the temple", which is what profane means. I just think Liturgies should have Liturgical languages.