Toll Houses + Unhealthy polemics at NFTU is not good.

Formerly "Intra-TOC Private Discussions."

Matthew
Protoposter

Re: Toll Houses + Unhealthy polemics at NFTU is not good.

Post by Matthew »

I thought Elder Ephrem was very open to the TOC. When I stayed there for 3 weeks his assistant Father Paisios (I think) made it quite clear he was totally in support of the mainline TOCs as fully Orthodox. I guess since Rocor went commie they no longer recognise the TOC....

Hieromonk Enoch
Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Metropolia of Americas & Brit. Isles

Post by Hieromonk Enoch »

I was told by an Ephraimite Hieromonk that if I joined an 'Old Calendarist' group it would be bad. I had said to this priest previously that since the Greek priest refused to baptise me (since, apparently, my moist hand baptism was sufficient), I didn't have much choice, unless he did. I then begged him to do so, and he said, basically, that, while he was sympathetic, he didn't want to get in trouble with his bishop. I then asked, "What will happen to me if I die, seeing that apparently no one will baptise me, and my chrismation will not be real since my Protestant baptism doesn't qualify under economy?" He responded, "You will definitely go to hell, but, you can reside in the upper regions, as long as you aren't too bad." I responded, "Well, I suppose that's better than the lower regions." It was quite amazing, that, he was willing to allow that happen to me, yet, preferred to save his own self from trouble and refuse baptism!

I should have asked him, "Well, what if I have my cousin triple immersion baptise me in the kid's pool, and then I get Chrismated?" But, I think I was trying his patience and wasting his time, by his attitude.

“We cannot destroy the Ecclesiastical Canons, who are defenders and keepers of the Canons, not their transgressors.” (Pope St. Martin the Confessor)

http://nftu.net/

http://westernorthodoxchristian.blogspot.com/

Hieromonk Enoch

I didn't mean to just single Fr. Michael out; however, he is a very prominent and well-known Orthodox theological figure.

How do Greek Orthodox not traditionally believe in toll-houses when the account of St. Theodora was written in Greek? Doesn't anyone remember the ode from the Canon to the Guardian Angel which asks that we can pass unharmed after death through the 'exactors of this world's dire ruler'?

“We cannot destroy the Ecclesiastical Canons, who are defenders and keepers of the Canons, not their transgressors.” (Pope St. Martin the Confessor)

Hieromonk Enoch

Regarding the comments about Abp. Lazar Puhalo of the OCA. I've noticed that when I tried to comment on his youtube videos where he endorsed trans-gender sex change operations, etc, he immediately gets very hateful and sayd your are either stupid/ignorant or just plain evil. I had thought everyone, especially someone such as him who has written numerous books, would at least be able to take some minor criticism or just questions about this, without blowing up totally!

Matthew
Protoposter

Post by Matthew »

FrAugustine wrote:

I was told by an Ephraimite Hieromonk that if I joined an 'Old Calendarist' group it would be bad. I had said to this priest previously that since the Greek priest refused to baptise me (since, apparently, my moist hand baptism was sufficient), I didn't have much choice, unless he did. I then begged him to do so, and he said, basically, that, while he was sympathetic, he didn't want to get in trouble with his bishop. I then asked, "What will happen to me if I die, seeing that apparently no one will baptise me, and my chrismation will not be real since my Protestant baptism doesn't qualify under economy?" He responded, "You will definitely go to hell, but, you can reside in the upper regions, as long as you aren't too bad." I responded, "Well, I suppose that's better than the lower regions." It was quite amazing, that, he was willing to allow that happen to me, yet, preferred to save his own self from trouble and refuse baptism!

I should have asked him, "Well, what if I have my cousin triple immersion baptise me in the kid's pool, and then I get Chrismated?" But, I think I was trying his patience and wasting his time, by his attitude.

I really hope you're kidding!

That is REALLY, REALLY one sick, messed up priest!!!

Matthew
Protoposter

Post by Matthew »

FrAugustine wrote:

I didn't mean to just single Fr. Michael out; however, he is a very prominent and well-known Orthodox theological figure.

How do Greek Orthodox not traditionally believe in toll-houses when the account of St. Theodora was written in Greek? Doesn't anyone remember the ode from the Canon to the Guardian Angel which asks that we can pass unharmed after death through the 'exactors of this world's dire ruler'?

Beats me. I just follow the record of the heavyweights of Orthodoxy, and don't try to "figure out" too much. That is dangerous to do.

Matthew
Protoposter

Post by Matthew »

FrAugustine wrote:

Regarding the comments about Abp. Lazar Puhalo of the OCA. I've noticed that when I tried to comment on his youtube videos where he endorsed trans-gender sex change operations, etc, he immediately gets very hateful and sayd your are either stupid/ignorant or just plain evil. I had thought everyone, especially someone such as him who has written numerous books, would at least be able to take some minor criticism or just questions about this, without blowing up totally!

Ha! The guy is so hopelessly full of himself he can't handle the slightest naysaying without taking offense or with even just responding with a modicum of dispassion.