Articles of Monasticism, Eldership & Hesychasm

Moderators: Mark Templet, Mark Templet

Kollyvas
Protoposter

Wisdom From The Little Skete Of St. Ann

Post by Kollyvas »

http://www.gorustic.com/eeosaintanne.htm

The Little St. Anne Monastery, Hesychasm

The boat drops me and a half dozen other pilgrims off at the bottom of a very steep cliff right under the peak of Mt. Athos. I shoulder my little pack and in the sunny 35 degree centigrade heat plow my way up the crevasse to the right which has been paved with a good path broad enough for pack mules to walk up with supplies like oil or the occasional older monk or overweight pilgrim. After a half hour of uphill sweating like a faucet I reach the main monastary, a lightly fortified chapel and small refactory on a precipice overlooking the startling blue sea water streching to infinity below. There is confusion, some Greek pilgrims are having a drink in the shade. I squeeze in next to them on one of the benches and a silent monk brings me a tray with lokum (Turkish delight), raki, and a glass of water. Slowly the other pilgrims from my boat straggle in, sit alongside and pour thier raki into their cups of water, making it momentarily cloudy and silvery before they sip it chatting in a pauseless stream of Greek syllables.

I corner one of the monks and try to describe accross our language barrier what I seek. It is here that the inner transformation system of Orthodox Christianity is introduced to me by name: "Hesychasm."

Hesychasm is the concept and the adherent of this concept is a "Hesychast."

Hesychasm!

It appears that is the 14th century some holy fathers living as monks within Orthodoxy (I assume on Mt. Athos) moved together to revive something inside Orthodoxy they felt had become weak or lost: spiritual rebirth and the higher spiritual struggle. I was later told that they at first were considered a heresy by the Church and then, as sucessful heresies do, it became an integral part of the Church`s theology. The hunt for the inner oral teachings of Christ on self transformation, or Heschasm, is on.

Father Athanasios decribes the basic science of inner development taught by Jesus:

"There are three barriers of growth towards God:

1. Bad things inherited from childhood
  2. Egoism/ the desire from worldly pleasures
    3.The Devil
    Only when the first and second are almost annhiliated will number three appear to a person. The devil does not appear to those taken with the world. There is no reason for him to show himself to a person, no risk for the devil that the person will become close to God.

When the Devil has been defeated God enters into the supplicant`s body.

• It is they that pray on behalf of the world
  • There are a few of these men on Athos but the identity is hidden: holy men
  • There are many Orthodox christians out in the world living normal secular lives that are also on the path to a closer relationship with God. These lay christian seekers have a teacher on Mt. Athos and receive instruction and encouragement from that person. One monk said ``without a teacher a man alone cannot get closer to God.""

I leave Aghias Annas with the following leads:

• Brother Macarius at Simonas Petras Monastary speaks great English and has information about Hesychasm.
  • The monastary of the Holy Archangels founded by an Orthodox monk from Athos who moved his mission
    to the US (named Elder Ephraim) is reachable at Fax number 210.833.2793
  • There is an excellent magazine published 35 Miles north of San Francisco in the US called Devine Ascent PO Box 563, Point Reyes Station, CA 94956
  • Monastary in Serbia at Novi Pazar Town in Ribaritz (outskirts) called Monaster Tserna Reka where Father Nicoli speaks English. He in turn will know about other monastaries in the Balkans with strong spirit.

The Place of Aghias Annis, described

• Several buildings sprawled accross the steep cliff face, chief among which is the main chapel which houses the relics and is the site of the two-hour-long services held four times each day.

There is a building called the Kimiterio which:

• Holds the cranium of all the monks passed away
  • All the other bones are held in the same room in bins by type.
  • Each skull is beautifully carved with ist name and life dates written in calligraphy on it`s forhead.
  • Each body is buried in loose earth outside the Kimiterio for three years until the bones are clean.

Aghias Annas (which means Saint Anne) is the largest and oldest of all the Skiti on Mt. Athos. The foot of Saint Anne encased in a silver reliquary is kept here (Saint Anne is the mother of Mary). At Aghias Annis there is also the shrine of two converts to Christianity under the period of Ottoman rule who were killed for their beleifs. There is also the cave home of the dearly departed monk who only slept in his chair.

I met among the pilgrims a very wonderful Armenian-Ukranian pilgrim from Odessa who`s faith in prayer, fasting, and meditation for the elimanation of all physical illnesses was very strong. He had a deep beleif in the Orthodox path and said that the Ukraine is the home of great passion for God and Kiev hold the tombs of 2000 saints. He also mentioned places of great devotion in Russia named Valam, Solouki, Svir, Siya, Obnora and White Lake. His name is Sarkisian Arsen, and he lives at Lavochnaya Str. N.33, Slobodka District, Odessa, Ukraine, tel. 380-48-2-34-17-11. He said that he had before been a great rake but had later found his faith again to regain balance. He emphasised the beauty of the people and architecture of the Ukraine and invited me to visit him in Odessa.

The Story of another American Pilgrim who converted to Orthodox Christianity

• I was told by several people on Athos about another American on a spiritual quest who had participated much more deeply in each of the world`s great traditions (he learned sanskrit, old chinese, old hebrew, aramaic and old russion so he could read the great holy books and wisdoms from the original materials)
  • He eventually concluded through his study that the best for him was Orthodoxy, he converted becoming
    baptized as an Orthodox Christian and changing his name to Seraphim Rose.
  • He founded the St. Herman of Alaska brotherhood and wrote many books about finding God and theology.

Much of my private time on Athos was spent in the company of the English language translation of some work of one of the Holy Fathers of Athos. Here are some quotes from the Holy Fathers:

The aesetic struggles create spiritual suffering which allows the aspirant to resist the pull of earthly attractions - Wisdom From Mt. Athos, Sophrony. This is the culture of the heart, prayer from the heart, not from the head.

Many have made a study of all the faiths, but the true faith they have not come to know as they should From the works of Staretz Silouan (who lived from 1866 to 1938)

I cannot forget him (God) for a single moment, and my sould languishes for him Adam`s Lament, Staretz Silouan

O Lord, bestow thy Holy Spirit on thy servants, that their hearts may be kindled by thy love and their feet set upon the right path of truth and goodness Staretz Silouan

Monks strive to receive the Holy Spirit through humility, obedience, love, compassion, unceasing prayer. Six months, ten years, maybe fourty years afterwards they knowgrace but few retain it, then they pine and burn to regain the state of grace. -From the works of Staretz Silouan

All those that would follow our Lord Jesus Christ are engaged in spiritual warfare. The Saints by long expereince learned from the grace of the Holy Spirit how to wage this war. `` From the works of Staretz Silouan

A man will sayI have faith in the commandment of love towards God.When irrelevant thoughts intrude into the mind the mind at that moment becomes not only concerned with God but also with them, so the commandment to love God with all their mind and all their heart is not fulfilled. Train yourself to cut off an intrusive thought immediately and if you are forgetful and fail to chase them away at once bring God your repentance. Be at pains over this so that youaquire the habit.`´ From the works of Staretz Silouan

Kollyvas
Protoposter

Climbing The Spiritual Ladder

Post by Kollyvas »

http://www.holymyrrhbearers.com/Climbin ... Ladder.htm

Climbing the Spiritual Ladder

We all know that we are living in a rapidly changing culture. The one thing certain is that nothing will stay the same for long. Concepts such as God, eternity, heaven, hell and prayer, which reflect unchanging realities, are very foreign to most of us. Even those of us who have been brought up within a church environment where we’ve been made to feel comfortable with eternal truths, may feel as if we are split personalities as we go about the business of our daily lives.

Obviously the church as we experience it through its members and institutions is also affected in greater or lesser degrees by this same split personality. Gone are the days when living a Christian life could be seen as simply the normal way for a citizen to function. Once again, Christians are faced with the reality of two citizenships: one the state and society they were born into, the other the very different citizenship of the Church.

In all honesty, probably the two citizenships were never been quite as wedded as we like to think. The Emperor Constantine certainly changed the way Christians perceived themselves, but we know that his acceptance of Christianity as the state religion also brought many difficulties. It can be an easy way of excusing ourselves to say it was easier to be a Christian "back then," whenever "then" may be. I would like to submit, however, that if our God is the eternal Being we know Him to be in Trinity and through His self-revelation both through His Spirit and His Word in Jesus Christ, we have no excuses. On Judgment Day, we will be expected to have lived as Christians, even though we have come of age in the 20th century.

Our task, then, is to work within the time and place we have been given. This is not an easy approach to the Christian life when it is done with integrity. I have chosen the image of the "Spiritual Ladder" made popular by St. John Climacus, because I think it is a useful tool for us in this task. The ladder rungs are the same for us as they have been for Christians down the ages. Even more, the top of the ladder is placed at the same goal Christians have always struggled to reach – that of love. What differs for us is where we find this ladder and how we begin to climb it. And I would submit that in the same way the Gospel teaches us we must carry our own Cross, we also must climb our own ladder – not someone else’s.

St. John tells us in his classic exposition of the Ladder that we all must begin with the first step, "Exile." Obviously this is something the monastics he was initially writing for struggle with, leaving their families, their jobs, the comfort of their private security. Yet all of us need to make a conscious choice if we are going to make the Christian faith our own. As more than one person has pointed out, all of us who are in the Church as adults are converts.

Yet what does this mean? Ours is not the first generation to have large numbers of people reject their own society and look for enlightenment primarily in foreign and exotic cultures. Even those who choose to come to or stay within the Church often take this same route. God can certainly work with such an approach to exile when it is undertaken with sincerity and purity of heart. Yet I think there is another way. We do not necessarily need to change our clothes, take a new name, buy ethnic cookbooks or learn new languages, in order to follow Christ in our generation. And those of us who have come to this country from foreign lands with a Christian culture do not necessarily need to remain within our ethnic ghetto to maintain our faith and to grow in prayer.

I would submit that the Eastern Churches have an excellent foundation for those of us who are working to place our spiritual ladders and begin climbing. Not just because of our great traditions such as monasticism, hesychasm, our beautiful liturgical services and vestments, our saints and martyrs, but even more because of the very many faithful men and women who live ordinary lives in the world: attending public schools, taking part in sports and the other social events of American culture, and holding jobs up and down the ladder of the American economy.

These are the people who are in the advance guard of Christ’s army on earth – not the professional religious people such as clergy and the monastics. We have our role, but let’s face it, we are the ones who live in the shelter of the army camp, with plenty of supplies around us, sheltered from the front. We do see the worst the enemy can do, since those who are injured in the battle of life often end up at the doors of our tents with gaping wounds of body and soul in desperate need of healing. Yet our main task is to keep the home fires burning, to provide places of refreshment, inspiration and re-creation for those who are sent to us. How understandable that many of them fall by the wayside in the midst of the terrible battle of this life – how less excusable when we are not faithful, surrounded as we are by the strength and power of our Lord. How terrible when some of us even become the enemy within the camp…

And we religious types are subtly tempted to become the enemy to our fellow Christians. It can be easy to forget the parable of the Publican and the Pharisee. How easy it is to decide, for example, that those who do not have an Athonite spiritual father (Optina fathers being extinct), do not attend every church service and Bible study and do not openly wear their prayer ropes, are not as spiritual as they should be. I have heard people speaking this way and it appalls me. I often wonder if such people have read the Gospels. Theirs may be a form of spirituality but I am not sure it is a Christian one.

Then how, in this busy world of ours, do "ordinary" people pray? Where do they find their ladder? Can those who are not able to spend long hours "paying attention to God" in prayer and religious exercises still become saints: men and women of prayer?

I would say definitively, Yes. To understand this, let us remember that our relationship with the Lord has often been compared to that of a husband and wife. At the beginning of such intimate relationships, time is needed to become accustomed to the beloved. The courtship and honeymoon phase of marriage are proverbial for that kind of close attention. Yet normally, a marriage moves beyond that need for physical closeness. A couple learn to feel they are married; act in a way that is appropriate to a married person, even when they are apart and getting on with the business of their lives that frequently separates them for long periods of time.

Even more than a marriage, our life in God comes to encompass everything we are and everything we do. We cannot exist, speak or act apart from Him. That is a fact, whether or not we are ready to accept it or act upon it. In a sense, it is very simple. If Christians take the time to remind themselves of that fact, even briefly each day, the rest of their lives gradually begin to fall into place. I would submit that this is the heart of exile and the most basic part of prayer: to acknowledge that we are in the presence of God, to learn to turn to Him, speak to Him and then to be silent before Him so that He may speak to us. All of this can be done within a five minute period so there is no excuse for not taking such time. And many, many so called "common people" in our parishes are doing just this.

Having said that, as with any relationship, there need to be times when we work harder on being in the presence of the Beloved. There need to be times when we spend more time in our icon corner, stay in God's house, sing songs of praise and worship, study about Him, fast, make serious choices about our priorities, pray with others and get the support we need from the Church to carry on the rest of our life, knowing that all we do is in His presence.

And we all need to learn that we can pray when we are doing other things. While we do need to take time to turn to Him - to give Him at least the basic courtesy of a greeting every day - and more if our life and our circumstances allow it - if we do this type of simple prayer with sincerity and a whole heart, we will find that we become gradually aware of Him no matter where we are and what we are doing. To send a quick thought , an inward nod of the head so to speak, in His direction, can keep us centered in the midst of all sorts of distractions. The apostle Paul tells us to pray without ceasing, yet we know that he was a man of immense activity.

We also need help with the thoughts and feelings that bombard us both from outside and within our own heads and hearts. The fathers and mothers of the Church tell us that we will never get away from such thoughts and feelings; they always will be there. This is again where simple prayer: a verse from the Psalms; "Lord, have mercy," the Lord's name - whatever seems right for us - can be used, almost like a tennis racket to hit the distracting feelings and thoughts away. As long as we can do this – as long as we can separate ourselves from them for even a brief moment - we are not held captive by them. And that little space we create each time we "hit" such a thought or feeling with the name of the Lord or some other brief prayer, gives God all the room He needs to act in our lives. We simply learn not to be bothered by the fact that thoughts and feelings are there.

Many people also find themselves feeling that the official prayers of the Church are sometimes too long and wordy. I would submit that there is nothing wrong with such a feeling. There are people who do really like long prayers - the more elaborate the better; the more obscure the language the better. There are other people who simply can't pray that way. Or if they can at first, soon find it becomes impossible for them. Even in Church, during longer prayers, they find themselves unable to concentrate. This has always been true. Not every one is called to pray in the same way. There are gifts that vary here, as well. For many of us, the same prayers we can teach our children to "get by heart" will continue to be the best prayers for ourselves: To turn to God with simple words such as "Our Father." "Holy God; Holy Mighty; Holy Immortal, Have mercy on us." Or our own words telling Him our troubles, our joys, our private thanks and requests, asking Him to take care of us and our loved ones - this can be the highest form of prayer for many people. And we should realize that if prayer is something other than turning to God, it has lost its meaning and purpose. Just to "say prayers," or "use the Jesus prayer" in such a way that we are more aware of ourselves praying than of being in His presence, is a waste of energy. He Himself said: "Not everyone who says 'Lord, Lord,' will enter the Kingdom of heaven."

Even this simple prayer can be a major struggle, however. We must not underestimate what those around us may be going through when they seem to do no more than appear faithfully in Church on Sunday. This is a fallen world. The devil has a vested interest in keeping us unaware of God's presence. What should be simple can begin to look like a horrible task. And in truth, there are some teachers who do make prayer a "burden too hard to be borne." There are people who are called to be the Olympic athletes of prayer - to read long Scripture passages and whole prayer books through every day; make hundreds of prostrations; take on severe fasts; attend every possible service; spend at least an hour each day in silent meditation. There are others like the Publican who are called simply to live their whole lives before God in humility and love. A heartfelt "Lord have mercy on me a sinner" is all we need to be justified before Him. Some of us need to admit that we aren't given the gifts or the providence for the "Olympic" kind of prayer and get on with our lives, turning to God as we can through the day, not beating ourselves up because we aren't as good as the Pharisee.

By now you may be wondering why, in a talk on Eastern Christian prayer, I haven’t done more than mention the "Jesus prayer." Many people today seem to believe that it is the only truly "Orthodox" prayer. Yet this is not accurate or traditional. The prayer of Jesus mentioned in early writers such as St. John Climacus was actually the Lord's Prayer ("Our Father...") We need to remember that in the Gospel accounts, when the disciples asked Jesus how to pray He did not tell them to use the Jesus prayer. Some people find it is a good tool to use to turn to the Lord; let Him be the One who fights off the distracting thoughts for them. Others find other words more useful - or even turning to Him without words. If we call on the Lord using His name, we also need to be sure that we know Who He is. I'm more than a little concerned by people who "use the Jesus prayer" without knowing the Gospels - without even having read the New Testament through once. Who is the Jesus they are praying to? "The Jesus Prayer" is not a magical incantation. He certainly is able to work in spite of our ignorance. But not many of us are illiterate peasants, unable to read and ponder His Word in the Gospel. We will be called to account for the use of our gifts and talents. If the ability to read is one of them, then we should do just that to inform our prayer. St. Paul again tells us to "pray with understanding."

And we all need to be reminded of the importance of what we are doing as Christians. A large part of the job of professional religious people is to equip others for the battle. It gets down to what we believe about God. Are we functional atheists? Do we say God is all powerful, but really think we are the only ones who can do anything important? If God is Who we Orthodox say He is, then turning to Him through our tasks; during our conversations; is the only way to gain a real perspective on what we are doing. When we lose that sense of an "upper level" in our lives, we lose the ability to think clearly and with compassion. We are no longer living as Christians. If we understand that, then the problem of "making time for prayer" ceases to be a problem. We will see how we are without Him and we won't want to be that way. We will find that even when there are emergencies when it is obvious we must serve our neighbor in immediate need, we can grab time "on the run" as it were. And we must be careful to remember that He loves our neighbor more than we do. Often we need to realize there is no emergency we need to take care of; we're just busybodies. If we do our own job; live our own lives; and put our loved ones into His hands, they have a much better chance of learning to stand on their own feet and living their own lives before Him as well.

I do think that many people are tempted to make prayer and the Christian life much too exotic and complicated. We don’t want just to climb a ladder – we want to do acrobatics and tie ourselves up in knots. Our Lord became incarnate as a very common-place person, not even as exotic a figure as St. John the Baptist. He came simply to give us abundant life in our circumstances here and now so that we will also find it in eternity. He did not mention spirituality. He did not present prayer as an end in itself. We need to do what we can, not what we can't. I think many of the people in our churches who don’t pray have been led to believe that the only way is to take lots of time, read lots of books, use fancy words. They know they can't do that, so sometimes it is true, they do nothing. We should let them know that there is another way and that it is a very traditional one. Simple, heart-felt prayer is something anyone can do at any time. If we are called to do more by our gifts and situation, then God will bless us - only let us not attempt more without guidance or we can become judgmental Pharisees rather than men and women of deep and compassionate love and prayer. The Lord said something about becoming like little children in order to enter into the kingdom of heaven…. St. John Climacus puts it another way – we can’t climb the whole ladder in one leap. We must be willing humbly to take the first step that is presented to us in our life.

Kollyvas
Protoposter

Prayer In Evagrius & St. Nil Of Sorsk

Post by Kollyvas »

http://www.byzantines.net/scranton/evag.htm

PRAYER IN EVAGRIUS PONTICUS AND ST. NIL SORSKI

INTRODUCTION

Definition of Prayer in Evagrius

What is prayer? The New Catholic Encyclopedia gives three definitions of prayer, one of which is taken directly from Evagrius. Evagrius gives us a very succinct definition when he says that "Prayer is an assent of the mind to God." (Chapters on Prayer, 35, p. 60) This simple statement is the very center around which Evagrius developed his thought. He stressed a solitary, monastic life, strict asceticism, control of passionate thoughts and development of virtues, especially charity. For Evagrius, all of these help to free the mind from cares and concerns of the flesh, to separate ourselves from the material world, to allow the mind to perform its proper activity, contemplation of God. "But prayer makes the spirit strong and pure for combat since by its very nature the spirit is made to pray." (Praktikos, 49, p. 29) Evagrius took elements from the thought of Origen and added to it the ascetical practices and teachings of the Desert Fathers. Meyendorff calls Evagrius "the first great codifier of the monastic doctrine of prayer." (Meyendorff, p. 21)

Definition of Prayer in Nil Sorksi

St. Nil Sorski on the other hand, while he may have been influenced by Evagrius' writings and contributions to monasticism, was at heart a Russian hesychast. His definition of prayer would be more like a "rapturous union with God." (Maloney, p. 142) While Nil's spirituality included much of Evagrius' asceticism, especially concerning the classification of the eight passionate thoughts, he relied much more on the hesychast tradition in his teaching and practice of prayer.

Monasticism of Evagrius

Evagrius embraced the monastic life as the ideal way to Christian perfection. The period from c. 330 to c. 440 has been called the "golden age of Egyptian Desert Fathers." (Tsirpanlis, p. 154) These first Desert Fathers, following the example of St. Antony, lived alone or in two's and three's in cells which were caves or huts. They lived very simply growing their own food and supporting themselves by their own labors. They spent their days in prayer, in work, in reading Scriptures.
Evagrius was born in c. 345. He was a lector for St. Basil the Great and a deacon for Gregory of Nazianzus. He engaged in debates with heretics and soon found great success. He had a brilliant career in Constantinople and took advantage of the many perks offered to one so successful. But he gave it all up to become a monk.
He went to Nitria for two years and then spent fourteen years in the Cells, living a life of prayer and severe asceticism. To control his desires and to keep his body under subjection, Evagrius sometimes went to extremes. It is said that he ate only a pound of bread and a pint of oil in a three month time period. (Tsirpanlis, p. 154)
As a result of his asceticism and purity of heart, Evagrius became well-known for his unusual gifts of knowledge, wisdom, and discernment of spirits, and began to give spiritual direction to the many disciples that flocked to him. (Introduction to Evagrius, p. xliv) Through his writings and his disciples, like John Cassian, a more intellectual type of Christian monasticism began to flourish in Nitria. Evagrius is credited as the founder of Christian monastic mysticism. (Tsirpanlis, p. 153)
Evagrius has been called on the most important Eastern writers on the spiritual life. Through Syriac translations, Evagrius' teachings come to us today through the work of Syrian writers, especially Isaac the Syrian. Isaac was profoundly indebted to Evagrius for his teachings on the mystical life. (Brock, pp. 64-65) Thus through Isaac's translations of Evagrius into Greek, Evagrian theology had a profound influence on Maximus the Confessor, St. John Climacus, Simeon the New Theologian. Evagrian theology became important in hesychast spirituality by being incorporated in the teachings of Gregory of Sinai.

Monasticism of Nil Sorski

Nil Sorski lived in a much different time. He was born in 1433 in Russia. In fifteenth century Russia, the monasteries were growing rich by owning large land tracts and also by the labors of the serfs who worked the land. Born a peasant, Nil became a monk as the only way to complete his education. The Russian monasteries of that time were growing rich materially, but they were growing poorer spiritually. There were many conflicts of interest and serious abuses connected with the large land holdings of the Russian monasteries. De Grunwald wrote of Nil, that "his undying merit is that he endeavored to arrest the decline of Russian monasticism by bringing it back to the purity of the precepts of the Gospel." (Grunwald, p. 90)
To find the means to attain salvation, we have been given the examples of all other saintly men who have lived before us. So Nil travelled to Mt. Athos to learn the ways of the Fathers. It was during this extended pilgrimage to Mt. Athos where he read books on mysticism, learned Greek to study patristic literature, and learned the theory and practice of hesychast prayer.

PRAYER IN EVAGRIUS

"Just as sight is the most worthy of the senses, so also is prayer the most divine of the virtues" (Chapters on Prayer, 150, p. 79) Evagrius teaches that prayer is the most important thing in the life of a Christian. "For what greater thing is there than to converse intimately with God and to be preoccupied with his company? Undistracted prayer is the highest act of the intellect." (Chapters on Prayer, 34, p. 60) But more important for Evagrius is not quantity of prayer, but the quality of prayer. For Evagrius, pure prayer is to pray without distraction. One must purify his heart and clear his mind of all other things except for God. He distinguishes between two types of prayer. He uses unceasing prayer to purify his heart and mind, to control thoughts, to subject the body to the workings of the soul. The other type of prayer is the contemplative kind, which will be discussed later in this paper.

Role of Asceticism and Virtue in Prayer

Asceticism then, for Evagrius, was always oriented toward the goal of attaining purity of heart. He used the term 'apatheia' which he describes as "a habitual state of imperturbable calm." (Chapters on Prayer, 52, p. 63) For Evagrius, 'apatheia' was a state of the soul where the passions no longer exert any influence on the mind. 'Apatheia' would allow one to pray without distraction, culminating in the state of pure prayer. "The proof of 'apatheia' is had when the spirit begins to see its own light." (Praktikos, 64, p. 33)

Evagrius stressed the importance of developing virtues as an essential part of a life of prayer. In the longest chapter in the Praktikos, 89, he lists the virtues and their role in the health of the soul. He firmly believed in a careful examination of one's life. The monk should work hardest on aquiring the virtues most lacking in the soul. He must practice and work for the things that we can take with us, like the virtues, rather than the things of this world which passes away. He stressed the practice of acquiring the opposite virtue to combat the most troublesome passionate thoughts. He recommended acquiring virtues to help purify the mind and heart, to bring the monk closer to God. "The soul that is purified by the plenitude of virtues renders the spirit unshakable in its balance and makes it capable of possessing the state for which it longs." (Chapters on Prayer, 2, p. 56) This state, of course, is the state of pure prayer.

Thus, all of his teachings on the ascetic life, ascetic practice, control of passions, development of virtues are made with the goal of attaining purity of heart. Thus Evagrius defines the ascetic life as "the spiritual method for cleansing the affective part of the soul." (Praktikos, 78, p. 36)

Once a monk has attained to 'apatheia', a state of deep calm where passions are in check, only then can he speak of perfect charity. Evagrius saw a close connection between 'apatheia' and 'agape'. Thus Evagrius chooses a specifically Christian and biblical context, 'apatheia', as the keystone of his whole structure of ascetic practices.

"The fear of God strengthens faith, my son, and continence in turn strengthens this fear. Patience and hope make this latter virtue solid beyond all shaking and they also give birth to 'apatheia'. Now this 'apatheia' has a child called 'agape' who keeps the door to deep knowledge of the created universe. Finally, to this knowledge succeed theology and the supreme beatitude." (Evagrius, Letter to Anatolius)

So, the monastic life for Evagrius is not only the struggle to rid the self of all evil and ignorance, but also the monk is to establish in the soul virtue and knowledge, through prayer and contemplation. "In your prayer seek only after justice and the kingdom of God, this is to say, after virtue and true spiritual knowledge. Then all else will be given to you besides." (Chapters on Prayer, 38, p. 61)

Discernment of Spirits

It is said of Evagrius that he was well-known for his "unusual gifts of wisdom, knowledge, and discernment of spirits." (Introduction to Evagrius, p. xliv) This discretion or discernment of spirits was seen by his followers as a result of his purity of heart and asceticism. For Evagrius, much self-scrutiny, prayer, and asceticism is needed so that a monk who is granted this gift may learn to recognize the traits of demons.

Ascetics who ascribed to a life of prayer and sought virtue and spiritual perfection through contemplation viewed their efforts as a battle against the demons who tempt the monk by means of passionate thoughts. This was a major theme in The Life of Antony written by St. Athanasius.

Evagrius sees an extremely close relation between the demons and the passions that they stir up, but he also holds an essential distinction. The demons influence man through these passionate thoughts. Thus the reason for his devoting so much attention to analyzing passions is that this insight gives us power to use against them. (Introduction to Praktikos, p. 8) Bamberger in his introduction says that Evagrius is often criticized for his excessive concern for understanding passions, and his insufficient concern with love for God.

"For them (the Desert Fathers and Evagrius in particular) such understanding assured that their love of God was genuine, not based on self-deception or evasion, ... Once the obstacles are removed through intelligent, ascetic effort, directed where insight leads, the grace of Christ will flower fully into a love of God that is ineffable." (Introduction to Praktikos, p. 10)

A large part of Evagrius' teachings on the ascetic life includes his teachings on the controlling of passionate thoughts. From his own experiences of inner struggle and the experience of the monks around him, he developed an elaborate psychology of thoughts and passions. He is credited as the first to classify passions into an ordered series of eight types of passionate thoughts: gluttony, impurity, avarice, sadness, anger, acedia, vainglory and pride. He gives a short description of each as well as their damaging effects on the life of the monk. He sought to understand and articulate the dynamic relations among the passions and their operations as the most useful weapon to recognize and combat these thoughts. It is clear that his greatest concern with regard to these passionate thoughts is their negative effects on prayer. When writing about the damaging effects of anger, Evagrius says "it constantly irritates the soul and above all at the time of prayer it seizes the mind and flashes the picture of the offensive person before one's eyes." (Praktikos, 11, p. 18) The greatest danger of these vices for Evagrius is that they become a stumbling block to prayer.

Evagrius lists many ways to combat these passionate thoughts including, prayer, singing psalms, hunger, toil, solitude, reading, and developing the virtues. He most often says to resort to prayer to fend off thoughts, but he also shows the importance of developing the virtue that is the opposite of the vice. To instill humility for example, Evagrius says "Remember your former life and your past sins and how, though you were subject to the passions, you have been brought into 'apatheia' by the mercy of Christ." (Praktikos, 33, p. 25)

His description of eight kinds of passionate thoughts is surely the most original and interesting in Evagrius' work. He gives the classic descriptions, and his insights into the workings of passions is the basis of his reputation for learning and brilliance. (Introduction to Praktikos, p. 7)

While Evagrius is seen as the consummate psychologist, his chapters dealing with passionate thoughts are important for his theology of prayer. For Evagrius, pure prayer is impossible without a pure heart.
A monk must always be on guard to protect the purity of heart that he has attained. For Evagrius, the best way to guard against this loss is to have knowledge of the passionate thoughts. He must also have intimate knowledge of demons who tempt us through these thoughts. (Praktikos, 34, p. 25)

It must be remembered that Evagrius's teachings on passions is only part of his teachings on asceticism. For Evagrius, prayer and contemplation are the most important things a monk can do to achieve perfection.
"The effects of keeping the commandments (ie. apatheia) do not suffice to heal the powers of the soul completely. They must be complemented by a contemplative activity appropriate to these faculties and this activity must penetrate the spirit. (Praktikos, 79, p. 36)

Contemplation

Evagrius begins The Praktikos by writing "Christianity is the dogma of Christ our Savior. It is composed of praktike, of the contemplation of the physical world and of the contemplation of God." (Praktikos, 1, p. 15)

Prayer and Contemplation

The central focus of Evagrius' thought is the relationship between prayer and contemplation. "If you are a theologian you truly pray, if you truly pray you are a theologian." (Chapters on Prayer, 60, p. 65) Bamberger quotes Hausherr as saying that the deepest significance of Evagrius' thought is that the highest form of contemplation is identified with the state of pure prayer. But not only do prayer and contemplation coincide at their highest points, but they also coincide each step of the way. For Evagrius prayer and contemplation are two aspects of a single whole. He identifies prayer and contemplation with the monastic life, even with the spiritual life itself. (Introduction to Evagrius, pp. xcii-xciii)
For Evagrius, the soul is the mirror of God, that man is the image of God who is capable of receiving knowledge of the Blessed Trinity. (Praktikos, 3, p. 16) Thus he establishes man in terms of his contemplation. But Evagrius has a deep respect for all men and reminds the monk that "it is a part of justice that you should pray not only for your own purification but also for that of every man." (Chapters on Prayer, 39, p. 61) This concept is theologically founded on the doctrine of man as made according to the Image of God. For this reason Evagrius teaches that progress in pure prayer should lead the monk to progress in love for all men. "Happy is the monk who considers all men as god - after God." (Chapters on Prayer, 123, p. 75)
So for Evagrius, attaining 'apatheia' is the first step. Once 'apatheia' is achieved, with its attendant charity, contemplative activity becomes dominant. Evagrius makes a distinction between levels of contemplation. The first phase is contemplation of nature, by which we know God through his creation. "The Kingdom of Heaven is 'apatheia' of the soul along with true knowledge of existing things." (Praktikos, 2, p. 15) This type of contemplation comes with effort, struggle, and at times frustration. Higher contemplation is marked by a great peace and calm. One feels no frustration, only tranquility. One gains experimental knowledge of God. It is an exalted state, beyond the capacity of man.
The highest point for Evagrius, is the Blessed Trinity, a vision beyond all form, totally simple. "The Kingdom of God is knowledge of the Holy Trinity coextensive with the capacity of the intelligence and giving it a surpassing incorruptibility." (Praktikos, 3, p. 16) Evagrius uses the metaphor of light to describe the states of the soul that accompany this elevated form of contemplation.

HESYCHASM

Maloney divides the history of hesychasm prior to Nil Sorski into three divisions. First is the Sinaite School of the hesychast tradition. Thinkers such as Climacus, Hesychius of Sinai emphasized the solitary life, on 'guarding the heart' and on the mental prayer of 'theoria'. Evagrius did make some contribution to the development of hesychasm. These first teachers of hesychasm transmit from Evagrius the synthesis he made from Origen and the Desert Fathers. The Desert Fathers stressed ascetical practices designed to develop 'hesychia' or tranquility, both exterior and interior. This is accomplished by separating themselves from society and others, silence both of the lips and the heart by reducing all cares to one, seeking only the Kingdom of God. Finally, through complete attention, when the mind or heart possessed 'hesychia' or rest from passionate thoughts, it was then able to contemplate God unceasingly. (Maloney, pp. 103-104)
To this 'practica', Evagrius adds his notion of 'theoria'. The mind, which he called the mirror of God, once purified would be able to contemplate the Trinity through its own divinization through grace. 'Apatheia' is a necessary condition to allow the possibility of continual contemplation of God. (Maloney, p. 104)
The Sinaite hesychasts make an important change in the thought of Evagrius that they assimilate. They substitute 'man as intellect' with 'man as heart.' (Maloney, p. 104) The ascetical practices are still performed with the purpose of attaining 'apatheia', as they are for Evagrius. But man is to be free to contemplate God in his heart. The presence of God is to be guarded in the heart by 'penthos', abiding sorrow for one's sins. Also, the Sinaite hesychasts add a new element found among earlier Fathers, but not in Evagrius, is a personal devotion to Jesus. (Maloney, p. 104)
With Simeon the New Theologian's doctrine of supernatural conscious awareness of the operations of the Holy Spirit working on the human soul, contemplation was opened to every Christian. Gregory of Sinai brought the Hesychast Fathers to Mt. Athos at the end of the 13th century starting a hesychast renaissance stressing mysticism, 'practica', virtues, and mental prayer or 'theoria'.
"He insisted greatly on the purification of the soul and the fight against the passions, on the necessity of arriving at Evagrius' 'apatheia', the infusion of divine light and supernatural knowledge of the created world with intimate union of the soul with God." (Maloney, p. 106)

Thus the hesychasts stressed the 'prayer of Jesus': "Lord Jesus Christ, Son of God, have mercy on me a sinner" linked with the rhythm of controlled breathing, aligned with the beating of the heart so that thoughts could be controlled and the heart would pray always. (Maloney, pp. 106-107)
Gregory Palamas defended the thought and practice of the hesychasts by formulating a theological and metaphysical explanation of what the Hesychast Fathers had been teaching through the centuries. Hesychasm was affirmed by a series of councils in 1347. (Meyendorff, p. 103)
Thus Nil Sorski learned all this spirituality when he arrived on Mt. Athos in the second half of the fifteen century through these writings as well as living successors of this hesychast renaissance.

PRAYER IN NIL SORSKI

Mental Activity

Little is known of the life of Nil Sorski, since there is no surviving biography. What we do know of his spirituality comes from two main writings, Predanie and Ustav, as well as many letters of correspondence he had written. In these two main writings Nil gives his followers "a monastic ideal, principles which would lead a monk to obtain his ascetical ideal: union with God in this life as far as grace and the individual's cooperation will allow, and life hereafter." (Maloney, p. 51)
For Nil, all of men's efforts must be directed toward purifying our minds and hearts to allow attentive, uninterrupted prayer. "Thinking of God, that is, mental prayer, is above all other actions and is the chief of all the virtues, for it is the love of God." (Ustav, p. 82) The mind must be fully involved in order for prayer to be pleasing to God.
All the rest of the

Ascetic Ideal

The ascetic ideal for Nil included: knowing the purpose of life, self-scrutiny, knowledge of Divine Writings, and understanding the psychology of thoughts and the eight sources of passions. All of life for Nil is a return to God, a life lived according to God's commands and God's will. Men must be continually "probing our thoughts and feelings so that all our actions be in harmony with God's will. Shun what is human." (Ustav, p. 55) The first step on this long journey back to God is to detach oneself from the cares of the world and then to attach oneself to God.
"Full activity in our chosen way of life should consist in this, that always and in every detail, in every undertaking, in soul and body, word and deed and thought, as far as there is in us the strength, to remain in the work of God, with God, and in God." (Ustav, p. 35)

Nil emphasized that in order to follow all of God's commandments, you first need to know all of God's commandments. Thus it was important that one read Scriptures, or Divine Writings. Nil included the Holy Fathers in these Divine Writings. "We have but one Teacher, Our Lord Jesus Christ, who gave us the Holy Scriptures and sent His Holy Apostles and Venerable Fathers to teach the way of salvation to the human race." (Predanie, p. 2) Nil felt that because the Holy Fathers were united to the Holy Spirit in their holy lives, they were also inspired by the Holy Spirit in their writings. (Maloney, p. 56) They show us the way to salvation begins by putting off their own will to follow the will of God.

Nil discusses the five steps in the psychology of thoughts of how a thought develops from its entrance into our minds to consciousness, consent, slavery and finally passion. What Nil is most concerned with is how thoughts interrupt our prayer. "During prayer the mind should be all turned to God and attentive to the prayer, quick to turn away any other thought." (Ustav, pp. 18-19) Even a good thought must not be allowed to interrupt our prayer.
Nil gives a long analysis of the eight sources of passion which he takes from Evagrius through the work of Cassian. While it is not necessary to summarize these sources of passion, their importance in the life of prayer of Nil Sorski is necessary. The monk must turn away all advances of the devil, control the heart and purify it for the continual remembrance of God. Only when the heart is freed from these thoughts can it begin its ascent to God, to union with him, which is the goal of all spiritual efforts for Nil. Once the monk has quieted his passions and purified his heart, he acquires 'apatheia' (from Evagrius, again through Cassian), only then can he occupy his mind and heart with the continual presence of God. "Bodily activity and external prayer are the leaves while internal, mental prayer is the fruit." (Ustav, pp. 11-12) It is the mental activity that is pleasing to God. Whatever holds our minds attention is what we truly love, whether it be God or the things of this world. We should choose the better of the two.
An important point that distinguishes Nil's spirituality is the great freedom that he gives the monks to follow their own paths. He exempts his monks from blind observance to exterior rituals to follow their interior prudence guided by inspiration from God. To combat these passionate thoughts, he gives only advice not hard and fast rules. All these means are subject to the final end in Nil's teaching. The final end is what is important. Nil never loses sight of his goal. Fast not for fasting sake, pray not for praying sake. It is the quality of prayer that is important not the quantity. What is important is the proper engagement of the mind in prayer, not the utterance of words. (Maloney, p. 86)
He lists nearly the same methods as Evagrius for driving out these passionate thoughts from us including fear of God, prayer, acquiring the opposite virtue.

Hesychasm of Nil

The hesychasm of Nil involves four things: purity of heart, 'nepsis' or vigilance, 'penthos' or abiding sorrow for one's sins, and the Jesus Prayer. To reach the highest degree of prayer, which is direct and joyful union with God, a monk must attain purity of heart and then, through 'nepsis' or vigilance, guard what has been attained. To do this, Nil stresses solitude and silence, control of thoughts, 'hesychia', and vigilance. (Maloney, p. 111)
Nil encourages his disciples to follow him in solitude and silence. He recommends the monastic life as the best way to ensure an intimate union with God in grace and prayer. He preferred and recommended the skete life to the Russian monasticism of that time. The skete life, living with one or two brothers in silence, was the middle way between life as a hermit and cenobic life with many brothers. He was the first to introduce the skete life to Russia. (De Grunwald, p. 92)
This silence was to be interior as well as exterior, not only flight from the world, but also the controlling of thoughts. "Strive with active concentration on the task of God alone." (Ustav, p. 81) Nil follows the tradition begun by Evagrius in his asceticism to attain 'hesychia' or tranquility. The mind, in order to reach true contemplation, must begin by emptying itself of all thoughts, whether good or bad. (Maloney, p. 113) This teaching is an important one in both Nil and Evagrius.
"They must practice silence, abundant prayer and contemplation, for such souls are united with God and should not detach their mind from Him and permit it to be troubled; for the mind which turns away from the thought of God and busies itself with inferior matters commits adultery." (Ustav, p. 27)

'Hesychia', a term Nil translates as "bezmolvie", which means without disturbance, is an inner state of the soul. It is arrived at by ascetical practices, silence and solitude, and emptying the mind and heart of all thoughts disturbing the soul during prayer, and the desire for anything other than God Himself. It is the necessary condition for persevering in prayer which is maintained through continuous prayer and ultimately resulting in intimate union with God. (Maloney, p. 117)
Once this state of tranquility is attained, Nil begins his doctrine of 'nepsis' or vigilance, by which the mind holds itself alert and guards the heart to keep from losing that which it has already attained. This guarding of the heart also allows the monk to remain ever open to hear and cooperate with the will of God through inspiration from the Holy Spirit which leads the soul to ever greater perfection. (Maloney, p. 119)
Another important concept in the prayer life of Nil Sorski is 'penthos', abiding sorrow for one's sins. He devotes pages to the thought of death and last judgement, and the necessity of obtaining the gift of tears to retain the spirit of compunction. Nil relies heavily on the previous works of the Fathers so show that thoughts of death and last judgement were important to help us overcome temptations and remain faithful to mental activity. (Maloney, p. 125) Nil felt that one would never sin if these thoughts were always present in our minds. These thoughts would also be a reminder that this present world will pass away, and we will be left with nothing but God and our good works. "Have this only before your eyes (to repent and to seek God with great love and fear) and obey His commandments, living constantly in prayer." (Ustav, p. 32)
Nil felt that it was especially important to prayer that the monk fight off any thoughts of anger, through his own kenosis, becoming humble of heart, and showing loving forgiveness. Before you pray, you must forgive. This command comes directly from Gospels. Pray for those who offend, show brotherly love and mercy, ask God for mercy for our sins through the prayers of this brother, take care not to offend. A monk must show humility and mercy. (Maloney, pp. 92-93)
When the Russian Church was fighting heresies, Nil took the position of showing mercy to the heretics, even to the point of accepting back into the Church those who repented. He was certainly in the minority, since most other monks and Church hierarchy pushed for heavy prison sentences or even death to the heretics. (Maloney, p. 208)
Nil emphasizes the living nature of the Holy Spirit within man, and the importance of inspiration.
"In seeking to do ever God's will by performing as perfectly as possible all God's known commandments, a monk gradually prepares himself through purification that comes from such praxis to listen to promptings of Holy spirit within and perform all 'in harmony with the mind of God.'" (Maloney, pp. 133-134)

Nil, like Evagrius, also speaks of higher and higher levels of prayer and contemplation. Nil suggests that the beginner use the Jesus Prayer to drive away temptation and help the monk concentrate the mind in the heart on God alone. Continued use of this prayer brings about 'hesychia', where passionate thoughts no longer control the attention of the mind. Once the mind becomes absorbed completely with God, the monk is ready for higher prayer. "Where there is peace in the soul, the prayer of the heart will begin to work." (Maloney, p. 141)
Nil speaks of contemplation no longer as prayer, but as a higher good: a rapturous union with God.
"When the soul undergoes such spiritual activity and subjects itself to God and through direct union approaches the Divinity, it is enlightened in its movements by an intense light and the mind experiences a feeling of joy of the happiness that awaits us in the life to come... " (Ustav, p. 28)

Nil's Thought Related to Evagrius

For Nil, the spiritual life is a battle, a constant struggle against the demons. During this battle, one must not only defeat the demons, but develop virtues in the process. Nil says that "many do good actions, but neglect the mind; they know nothing of the spiritual contests, the victories and defeats. They neglect the mind which is the eye of the soul." (Ustav, p. 12) Here Nil is quoting from Evagrius: "What the eye is to the body, that the mind is to the soul." This battle is a struggle to win control of the heart so that God may be the only object of its love.

For Nil, borrowing the thought of Evagrius, the monastic state was none other than assuming the form of angels. (Ustav, p. 44) The monk was to participate in the life of angels who look continually on God and sing his praises.
Maloney also points out that Nil's 'nepsis' is synonymous with Evagrius's praxis, or practice of virtue. Nil defines his nepsis as "mental activity which consists in preserving the disposition of fear and trust and love of God." (Ustav, p. 37) Evagrius made his praxis synonymous with keeping the commandments of God.

Nil concludes his Ustav with a prayer that sums up his entire spiritual life:
"Let us do only what is pleasing to God, singing, praying, reading, studying spiritual things, doing manual work or any other labors. And so little by little let us approach God in the interior man, adding by our good works to the glory of the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit, one in the Blessed Trinity. Amen." (Ustav, p. 90)

SYNTHESIS

Comparison

There are many teachings that both of these writers have in common. The most important being the central importance of prayer and contemplation in the life of the monk. Both men saw the need for strict asceticism to control the passions and to free the mind from all thoughts in order to focus their minds only on God. Both men saw the need to pray for the gift of tears to instill a spirit of compunction. Both recognized the need for silence and solitude, and for guarding the advances the monk had already attained. Both saw their lives as a battle against the demons who would lead men astray, away from contemplation of God. Both men felt that a monk could become like an angel by turning every thought and action toward the throne of God.
And both men realized their total dependence on God and the need for His grace for any advances that they might make. Evagrius says that "if you wish to pray then it is God whom you need. He it is who gives prayer to the man who prays." (Chapters on Prayer, 58, p. 64) And again, "you have been brought into 'apatheia' by the mercy of Christ." (Praktikos, 33, p. 25) Nil Sorski says nearly the same thing when he writes "for it is not your own doing that you stand in virtue, but the result of grace which holds you in God's hand and preserves you from all your enemies." (Ustav, p. 35)
Nil's description of the higher stages of contemplation is compiled from hesychast mystics, like Isaac the Syrian, who was profoundly influenced by Evagrius. These Sinaite Hesychasts formed a synthesis between the intellectual mysticism of Evagrius and the conscious sentimentalism of Macarius. The description of mystical contemplation by Nil is very much reminiscent of Evagrius' intellectual "nudity." (Maloney, p. 142)
Evagrius may have been the intellectual forebearer of the hesychast tradition, with his emphasis on pure intellectual contemplation and strict asceticism aimed at freeing the monk from passions to attain 'apatheia'. But Nil Sorski took these elements of Evagrius and added a heartfelt element of personal devotion to Jesus. He used the Jesus Prayer as a means to attain purity of heart and also as a preparation for purer contemplation. (Maloney, p. 145) In his appraisal of Nil as a hesychast, Maloney says that Nil is faithful to the best tradition of hesychasts and is the first important hesychast writer in Russia. (Maloney, p. 144)
While Evagrius has been accused of making too few allusions to Scripture and references to Jesus Christ, that charge certainly cannot be made against Nil Sorski. His constant use of the Jesus Prayer with an attentive mind would seem to ensure a very personal devotion to Jesus. Nil is very clear to ground his teachings and lifestyle on Jesus Christ and Scripture. "We have but one teacher our Lord Jesus Christ who gave us the Holy Scriptures." (Predanie, p. 2)
A point on which these two monks are in complete agreement is the condition of the mind at the time of prayer. In his presentation of the Jesus Prayer, Nil states,
"A wise and excellent way of battling against these temptations, the Fathers tell us, is to uproot the thought at the very first suggestion ... And further in the time of prayer it is necessary to bring one's mind to that condition where it is deaf and dumb." (Ustav, p. 21)

This last phrase is taken directly from Evagrius. (Chapters on Prayer, 11, p. 57)

Relevance For Today

From Evagrius we can relearn the importance of the mind in our spiritual lives. So often we let ourselves slide into simply the external practices of saying memorized prayers and fulfilling our weekly duty of attending Mass, sometimes showing up merely in body while our minds and thoughts are elsewhere. Evagrius shows us that engaging the mind in our prayer and spiritual life is the most important part of praying. The more we direct our minds and attention toward God, the closer we become to being in communion with him.
A very relevant point that can be drawn from the life and teachings of Nil Sorski involves his stance against the abuses of the Church of his time. He shows us by his example that no matter what time period or circumstance you are living in, and despite the current abuses you see in the Church and the world around you, you can always turn to Jesus and the Gospels and the writings of the Church Fathers to direct your thoughts and actions. By arming yourself with the teachings of the Gospels and the Fathers you can work to correct the abuses by living true to the teachings of Christ even when you are in direct contrast to the rest of the world.
Nil also teaches that we must search for the truth in the Gospels and other divine writings. We must search not merely with our own agenda in mind, twisting the truth and the spirit of God to fit our own needs, as is done in much of theology today, but with a true spirit of discernment with minds and hearts open to God as shown to us by the example of Nil.
Nil opposed the excesses of the Russian Church concerning the ownership of land because he felt that it was the right thing to do according to the teachings of Christ. He tried to remain as true as possible to Christ. Evagrius would have agreed with Nil, for he wrote, "Just as death and life cannot be shared in at the same time, so also is it an impossibility for charity to exist in anyone along with money." (Praktikos, 18, p.21)
Nil also kept prayer in mind in choosing his form of manual labor. Instead of the usual manual labor performed by the monk in order to earn his keep, Nil and his companions copied and translated Greek manuscripts. This type of work was important for many reasons. First of all, Nil felt that work done indoors was less distracting to mental activity than work performed outside. But also the work itself helped the spread of the writings of the Holy Fathers to Russia. Nil not only translated and copied these manuscripts, but he also corrected any errors that he found in the texts. Nil shows the importance of developing a spirit of criticism, of discerning the true from the false writings. He also taught of course that this freedom to investigate sacred writings does not extend to the teachings of Christ and the Apostles. (Maloney, pp. 158-160)
Nil also worked to keep his disciples and future generations true by his writings and also by correcting the errors in the manuscripts that he copied. He worked diligently to prevent errors from continuing by purifying the writings of others from translation errors.
Nil also opposed the harsh sentences other monks and Church hierarchy sought to impose on the heretics once their heresy was exposed. Nil believed in forgiveness for those who repented.
In a country such as ours that is so filled with materiality and vainglory, the teachings and examples of Nil and Evagrius show us the passing nature of the things of this world as well as the damage they can cause to our relationship with God. Both of these men show us not only the damage these vices cause, but they also show us concrete ways to combat them and rid ourselves of these vices. They also show us how to develop the opposing virtues and show us the benefits of obtaining them.
Any person who made progress toward God and spiritual perfection is relevant for us today. The example of the sanctity of the life of Nil Sorski, his writings, and the direct influence he had on his followers who handed down his tradition even to this day all helped to strengthen the Church and build up the Kingdom of God on earth. In a book on the Russian Church, it is written of Nil and his companion that "they were partisans of strict moral discipline rather than of rules of abstinence and physical asceticism. Their influence over the people was always great and wholesome." (Brian-Chaninov, p. 101)
Both of these monks give us a Christian perspective to psycho-analysis. Their observations are sound and are even backed by Freud and modern day psychoanalysts, but are given a completely Christian orientation. An orientation that is almost completely missing from modern day psychology and maybe should be rediscovered.

Conclusion

Since Evagrius was condemned by the Fifth Ecumenical Council in 553, for his Origenist thought and some of his more speculative writings, many people fail to recognize the influence of Evagrian spirituality on the more Orthodox theologians that followed. Thanks in great part to John Cassian who re-worked some of Evagrius' thought and thus preserved and passed on some of his best teachings in a form that better conformed to Orthodox Church teaching. Only in this last century has the influence of Evagrian spirituality been re-evaluated. It is to our advantage to take a look at the better points of his theology, especially concerning aceticism, and most especially concerning prayer. He made lasting contributions to monasticism, asceticism and holiness.

History remembers Nil Sorski best for the part that he played in the controversy over monastic property in Russia. It is too bad because his stance favoring monastic poverty was merely a small part, a logical conclusion of his greater vision of monastic holiness. He certainly did not wish to involve himself in such political turmoil. His only concern was for the spiritual growth of the Church, and monasticism in Russia in particular.
What was most important for both of these men, Evagrius Ponticus and Nil Sorski was the centrality of prayer in their lives and their belief that only through prayer could one come to meet God. Both men saw God as all important. Union with God was the only goal worth pursuing. They both had an overall vision of holiness that encompassed every thought, word, and deed, with God as the ultimate goal of every action and thought. All Christians can learn this lesson from these two, and to re-evaluate all of our own lives in the light of their teachings. We all must establish virtue and knowledge of God within us, and worship God in Spirit and in Truth.

BIBLIOGRAPHY

Borovkova-Majkova, M. A. Nila Sorskago Predanie i Ustav s
vstupitel'noj statej. in PDP, no. 179(St. Pet. 1912).

• critical edition and text that Maloney used for all
    citations from the Ustav and Praedanie.

Brian-Chaninov, Nicholas. The Russian Church. (Burnes, Cates & Washbourne LTD., London, 1931).

Brock, Sebastian. Syriac Fathers on Prayer and the Spiritual Life. (Cistercian Publications, Inc., Kalamazoo, MI, 1981).

De Grunwald, Constantin. Saints of Russia. (MacMillan Co., New York, 1960).

Evagrius Ponticus. The Praktikos and Chapters on Prayer.
Translated by John Bamburger. (Cistercian Publications,
Kalamazoo, Michigan, 1978).

Fedotov, George. The Russian Religious Mind II: The Middle Ages 13th - 15th Centuries. (Nordland Publishing Company, Belmont, Mass., 1975).

Maloney, George A., S.J. Russian Hesychasm: The Spirituality of Nil Sorskij. (Mouton & Co. N.V.,Publishers, Netherlands, 1973).

Meyendorff, John. St. Gregory Palamas and Orthodox Spirituality. (St. Vladimir's Seminary Press, 1974)

Tsirpanlis, Constantine N. Introduction to Eastern Patristic Thought and Orthodox Theology.

Kollyvas
Protoposter

Bees & Flies

Post by Kollyvas »

http://www.standrewfoolforchrist.org/beesandflies.htm

ELDER PAISIOS OF THE HOLY MOUNTAIN

Published 1998 (a quote from page 45)

The Elder started telling us:

I know from experience that in this life people are divided into two categories. A third category does not exist; people either belong to one or the other. The first one resembles the fly. The main characteristic of the fly is that it is attracted by dirt. For example, when a fly is found in a garden full of flowers with beautiful fragrances, it will ignore them and will go sit on top of some dirt on the ground. It will start messing around with it, and feel comfortable with the bad smell. If the fly could talk, and you asked it to show you a rose in the garden, it would answer: “I don’t even know what a rose looks like. I only know where to find garbage, toilets, and dirt.” There are some people who resemble the fly. People belonging to this category have learned to think negatively, and always look for the bad things in life, ignoring and refusing the presence of good.

The other category is like the bee whose main characteristic is that it always looks for something sweet and nice to sit on. When a bee is found in a room full of dirt and there is a small piece of sweet in the corner, it will ignore the dirt and will go to sit on top of the sweet. Now, if we ask the bee to show us where the garbage is, it will answer: “I don’t know. I can only tell you where to find flowers, sweets, honey and sugar.” It only knows the good things in life and is ignorant of all evil. This is the second category of people who have a positive thinking, and see only the good side of things. They always try to cover up the evil in order to protect their fellow men; on the contrary, people in the first category try to expose the evil and bring it to the surface.

When someone comes to me, starts to accuse other people, and puts me in a difficult situation, I tell him the above example. Then, I ask him to decide which category he wishes to belong, so he that he may find people of the same kind to socialize with.

Kollyvas
Protoposter

The Three Ways Of Attention & Prayer

Post by Kollyvas »

http://www.myriobiblos.gr/texts/english ... eways.html
Symeon the New Theologian

The Three Ways of Attention and Prayer (sp)

Translated from Greek by Demetrios S. Skagias, 11/96

Translator's note

Though of unknown author, the following text was perhaps understandably attributed to St. Symeon the New Theologian (+1022). The date of authorship has been established around the early Paleologian period, whilst its importance and popularity made it an obvious choice for the standard anthology of Orthodox mysticism, called the 'Philokalia'. [The whole five-volume work of the Philokalia is available in an English translation by bishop Kallistos of Diokleia.]

Recommended Myriobiblos texts for further study:

PANAGIOTIS K. CHRISTOU
Partakers of God

OLIVIER L. CLÉMENT
The Glory of God Hidden in His Creatures

The Three Ways of Attention and Prayer

[Introduction]

There are three ways of attention and prayer, by which the soul can be lifted and become spiritually exhaulted, or crumble and perish. If these three ways are used appropriately and at the right time, the soul will be lifted, whilst if they are used unreasonably and at the wrong time, the soul will perish. Attention therefore should be tied and inseparable to prayer, in the way that the body is tied and inseparable to the soul. Attention should have the lead and mind for enemies as a guard, and fight sin, and resist evil thoughts of the soul. It should be then succeeded by prayer, which will destroy all those evil thoughts which attention fought against earlier, since attention alone is not able to do this.

It is this war of attention and prayer on which both life and death of the soul depend. By attention that we keep our prayer safe and therefore we progress: if we do not have attention to keep it clear and we leave it unguarded, then it is inflected by evil thoughts and we become wicked and hopeless. Hence, the ways of attention and prayer are three, we ought to explain the features of each one and leave the choice to whoever may wish to find salvation.

[The first way of attention and prayer.]

The features of the first way are these: one stands to pray by raising his hands towards the sky together with his eyes and mind. He imagines divine concepts, the good things of Heaven, the armies of the holy angels, the residences of the saints and, in short, he gathers in his mind all that he has heard from the Holy Scriptures. He recalls them in the time of his prayer looking at the sky, and he exhorts his soul to what seems to be love and eros of God. Sometimes he even has tears and cries. In this way his soul gradually becomes proud without realising it, thinking that what he does is by the grace of God's compassion for him. Hence he pleads God to always grant him worthy of such deeds which are, however, signs of error.

A good thing ceases to be good, when it is carried out in the wrong way or at the wrong time. To such an extent this is the case here that, if this person finds perfect solitude, it will be impossible for him not to lose his mind. Should this not happen, it will still be impossible for him to acquire any virtues or detachment from the earthly. By this method are misled all those who see the Light with their bodily eyes, sense perfumes with their sense of smell, hear voices with their ears and so on. Some of them have been possessed, moving senselessly from one place to the other. Others have been misled by accepting the Devil who was transformed and appeared to them as an angel of light, and they have remained uncorrected until the very end, without wanting to hear any advice from their brothers. Some of them were even incited by the Devil and committed suicide, whilst others were crumbled and others became insane. Who can describe the various illusions of the Devil by which he misleads them!

Every reasonable person can understand the kind of damage that comes from this first way of attention and prayer. If it happens that someone by being accompanied by brothers (since these evils usually happen to those who are on their own) does not suffer any of the things we described, he nevertheless spends all his life with no spiritual improvement.

[The second way of attention and prayer.]

The second way is this: when someone concentrates his mind in himself, detaching it from all that is earthly, guarding his senses, and gathering his thoughts so that they are not scattered to the vain things of the world. Sometimes he examines his thoughts and sometimes he pays attention to the words of the prayer he recites. Sometimes he returns to his thoughts that were trapped by the Devil and were drawn to that which is evil and vain, and sometimes with much effort and struggle he comes back to himself, after being defeated and possessed by some weakness.

Having this battle and war with himself, he cannot find peace nortime to do the virtuous good deeds and receive the crown of righteousness. For this man is like the one who fights a war against his enemies in darkness and night; who hears the voices of the enemy and suffers being stabbed, yet he cannot see clearly who they are, where they came from and how, and why they are attacking him. For this damage is caused by the darkness in his mind and the confusion in his thoughts and therefore he can never escape from his enemies, the demons, so that they will stop defeating him. The piteous suffers in vain, for he loses his reward being possessed by vanity without realising it, by thinking he is attentive. Many times he condemns the others and accuses them, praising himself and thinking that he is worthy to become shepherd of rational sheep, guiding others. He is like the blind person who promises to guide other blind people!

This is the second way; anyone who wishes to find salvation needs start by learning the damage that it causes to the soul, and be cautious. This second way is, nevertheless, better than the first, for the sky with Moon is better than the dark night without it.

[The third way of attention and prayer.]

The third way is indeed strange and difficult to explain, whilst,to those who are not aware of it, it is often incomprehendable, appearing unreal and impossible that any such thing can happen. This is because in these days the third way is not found in many, but rather in very few. As I understand, this virtue abandoned us together with obedience, since it is the obedience one shows to his spiritual father which makes one trully free, leaving all the cares to him and staying away from the struggles of this world, whilst being a diligent artisan of this third way. (That is, if one finds a real spiritual father who has no error!) Thus he who dedicates himself and all the care to God and the spiritual father, by real obedience is no longer living his own life where he does his own wishes, but is free from any struggle of the world or his body. By what ephemeral thing then, can this person ever be spirtually defeated or enslaved, or what care or concern could he ever have? It is therefore by this way, together with obedience, that the devices and machinations of the demons to distract the mind towards many and various thoughts, are all defeated and dissolved. One's mind then stays free, and has plenty of space and chance to examine the thoughts brought by the demons, having a greater dexterity to expel them and offer his prayers to God with a clean heart. This is the beginning of the true way of life and those who do not make such a start are struggling in vain, even without knowing it.

The beginning of the third way is not by looking up to the sky, raising the hands, having your mind in heaven and asking for help from there. As we have said, these are of the first way and they are false. Nor is it to guard the senses with the mind and concentrate exclusively on this, whilst neither being attentive nor seeing the inner wars of the soul conducted by the enemies. These are all of the second way. He who uses them is trapped by the demons and is unable to revenge those who trapped him, whilst the enemies are always fighting him both secretly and openly, making him proud and vain.

But you, my friend, if you seek your salvation you should start in this way: after the perfect obedience which we said you should have to your spiritual father, you should then conduct all your deeds with a clear conscience, as if you had God in front of you, for conscience can never be clear without obedience. You should keep your conscience clear towards these things: God, spiritual father, other people and earthly things. Towards God, it is an obligation to keep your conscience clear by avoiding the things you are aware that He neither likes nor give Him any joy. Towards your spiritual father you should do the things he orders you to do, doing nothing more and nothing less, living according to his plan and wish. As for the other people, you should keep your conscience clear by not doing to them any of the things you hate and do not wish them to do to you. Towards the earthly it is your obligation to restrain yourself from abuses, using them all appropriately, food as well as drinking and clothes. In short, you should do everything as if you had God in front of you, making sure that your conscience does not restrain nor condemn you for not doing something right. This is the beginning of the true and firm route of the third way of attention and prayer.

The third way of attention and prayer is then this: the mind should guard the heart in the time of prayer and always stay inside it. From there, from the depths of the heart, it should then lift up the prayers to God. For once it tries inside the heart and tastes and is soothed--as the Lord is good!--then the mind will never want to leave the place of the heart. It will there repeat the words of Peter the apostle: "It is wonderful for us to be here!" [Mt 17:4, Mk 9:5, Lk 9:33] Then it will always wish to look inside the heart, remaining there and pushing aside and expelling all the concepts which are planted by the Devil. To those who have not realised this work of salvation and remain unaware of it, this will most of the times seem very hard and unpleasant. But those who have tasted its sweetness and enjoyed the pleasure inside the depths of their hearts, they all cry together with Paul: "What could ever come between us and the love of God?" [Rm 8:38-39]

Our holy fathers have listened the Lord who said that from the heart come evil intentions, murder, adultery, fornication, theft, perjury, slander [Mt 15:19] and how these are the things that make a man unclean. [Mt 15:20] Further, they have listened to the part of the gospel where we are ordered to clean the inside of cup and dish first so that the outside may become clean as well. [Mt 23:26] They therefore left aside any other spiritual work and concentrated exclusively on guarding the heart, being confident that through this they would easily achieve all other virtues, whilst without it no virtue can be preserved. This practice was called by some fathers 'serenity of the heart', whilst others named it 'attention', others 'sobriety' and 'detainment', others 'examination of the thoughts' and 'guarding of the mind'; for they were all absorbed in this, and by this they were found worthy to accept the divine virtues.

It is for this that the Ecclesiastes says: Rejoice, O young man, in thy youth; and let thy heart cheer thee in the days of thy youth, and walk in the ways of thy heart blameless and clear, and prevent your heart from thoughts. [Eccl. 11:9 (LXX)] The same is said in the Proverbs: If Devil makes an assault on you, do not let him enter your place, [Eccl. 10:4 (LXX)] where 'the place' means the heart. The Lord Himself tells us in the Gospel that we must not worry, [Lk 12:29] in other words not to scatter our minds here and there. Again, in a different passage He says: Happy are those poor in spirit, [Mt 5:3] meaning that happy are those who never acquired any concern of this world in their hearts and are free from all earthly thoughts. All our holy fathers wrote much on this, so may he who wishes to read their works look for those written by St. Mark the Ascetic, St. John of Klimax, St. Hesychios, Philotheos of Sinai, Abba Hesaites, Barsanouphios the Great and many others.

In short, he who is not attentive to guard his mind cannot be cleansed in his heart and be therefore worthy to see God. He who is not attentive can never be poor in spirit nor can he ever mourn and cry, or become gentle and peaceful, or hunger and thirst for justice, or become merciful, peacemaker, or persecuted in the cause of right. [Mt 5:3-10] It is quite impossible to acquire any virtue by any means other than attention. It is attention that you should mostly take care of, to be able then to understand the things I am saying. If now you wish to learn the way to achieve this, I will tell you.

There are three things you should preserve beyond anything else: disinterest in everything reasonable or unreasonable and vain, in other words detachment from everything; then clear conscience in everything, as we have said, by not causing its judgement for anything; finally complete peace, having your mind detached from anything earthly. When you have all these, find a place quiet, seat alone in a corner, shut the door [Mt 6:6] and cease your mind from anything ephemeral and vain. Press your chin on to your chest so that you can have your attention in yourself, with both eyes and mind. Hold your breath slightly to concentrate your mind and then, having all your mind there, try to find the place of your heart. In the beginning, what you will discover is darkness, much callousness and evil. But then, after having practised this method of attention a lot, night and day, you will find--great wonder!--an incessant happiness! The mind, through struggle, will have finally reached the place of the heart, where you will see the things you have never seen or known. There you will see the heaven which is within you, inside the heart, and you will find yourself enlightened, full of all grace and virtue.

From there on, if any kind of evil thought ever appears from any direction, before even being considered or take shape, you will immediately push it aside and dissolve it by the name of Jesus with his prayer: "Lord Jesus Christ have mercy on me." Hence forth the mind will begin to bear grudge and animosity against the demons, being in an incessant war. It will raise its justified wrath and hunt them, attack them, dissolve them. As for the things following beyond that, those you may find out yourself, with God's help, through your effort and the attention of your mind, keeping Jesus in your heart with His prayer: "Lord Jesus Christ have mercy on me." That is why a Church-father used to say: "Stay in your cell and that will teach you everything!"

[QUESTION. Why is it not possible to achieve all this through the first and the second way?]

ANSWER. Because we are not using them as we should. St. John of Klimax compares these ways with a ladder of four steps and explains: There are those who lessen their weaknesses and humble them, others who chant, praying with their voices, others who are absorbed in the spiritual prayer and others who reach observance. Those therefore who wish to climb these steps, do not start from the top one coming down but begin from the lower ones and go upwards. They step on the first step and then on the second, then on the third one and finally on the fourth. It is by this way that one is able to be lifted from the earth and ascend to heaven. First of all one needs to fight to diminish and cease his weaknesses. Only then he should become absorbed in chanting: praying with his voice. It is once one has diminished his weaknesses that prayer brings pleasure and sweetness to the tongue, and he may be considered near to and appreciated by God. Then one needs to start praying with his spirit, and finally he will reach observance. The first is of the beginners, the second of those who are increasing their virtues, the third of those who have reached the fulfilment of virtue, whilst the fourth belongs to the perfect.

The beginning, therefore, is nothing else but the diminution and cessation of the weaknesses, which are not diminished in the soul in any other way but through attention and guarding of the heart. It is the heart where they come from, as our Lord says, the evil thoughts that make a man unclean, [Mt 15:19-20] and it is there where guard and attention is needed. Once weaknesses are totally diminished by the resistance of the heart, then the mind comes to yearn and seek the way to reconcile with God, extenting its prayer and becoming further absorbed in it. Through this desire and prayer, the mind is strengthened and dismisses all the thoughts that have surrounded it in order to find their way into the heart, and fights them with prayer. Then starts a war and the evil demons resist with great distress, causing confusion and giddiness in the heart, exploiting its weaknesses. However, by the Name of Jesus Christ they are all dissolved and melt like wax in the fire. Even after being cast out and having left the heart, demons do not relinquish but disturb the mind externally, through the senses. Nevertheless, the mind will very quickly feel the tranquillity which is within, for they have no power to disturb the depths of the mind but only the surface. To escape completely from this war and stop being confronted by the evil demons is impossible. This belongs to the perfect and those who trully left everything behind and became wholly dedicated to the prayer of the heart.

He who therefore uses these means accordingly, each one at the right time, after having cleansed his heart from weaknesses he can then become dedicated in chanting, and fight the thoughts, and look up at the sky with his sensual eyes (if he feels the need to do that some time) and stare to it with the spiritual eyes of the soul, and pray honestly and truthfully, as it is appropriate. Looking at the sky should nevertheless be avoided, for the danger of evil demons who are there, who are called spirits of the air. These can cause various different delusions, and so we ought be cautious. This is the only thing that God asks us to do: to have our heart cleansed through prayer. According to the Apostle, if the root is holy then the branches and the fruit are likewise holy. [Rm 11:16] Without the way which we have described, he who raises his eyes and mind to heaven and imagines various concepts, is bound to see creations of his imagination, things false and untrue, coming from his unclean heart.

As we have repeatedly said, the first and the second way do not bring any spiritual advancement. When we want to build a house, we do not make the roof first and then lay the foundation--for this is impossible!--but we firstly lay the foundation, then build the house and then add the roof. We should do the same in spiritual matters: first lay the foundation, which is to guard the heart and cast out its weaknesses; then build the spiritual house, which is to cast out the evil spirits fighting us through our senses; finally, having overcome the war as soon as possible, add the roof, which is to depart from all things earthly, and give ourselves completely to God. Thus we complete our spiritual house in Christ our God, to whom all glory is due, unto the ages of ages. Amen.-

Kollyvas
Protoposter

Luminous Darkness

Post by Kollyvas »

http://www.monachos.net/patristics/nyss ... ness.shtml

Luminous Darkness
The 'Divine Darkness' in Gregory of Nyssa
Patristic texts quick link:
A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

‘Since Moses was alone, by having been stripped as it were of the people’s fear, he boldly approached the very darkness itself and entered the invisible things where he was no longer seen by those watching. After he entered the inner sanctuary of the divine mystical doctrine, there, while not being seen, he was in company with the Invisible. He teaches, I think, by the things he did that the one who is going to associate intimately with God must go beyond all that is visible and—lifting up his own mind, as to a mountaintop, to the invisible and incomprehensible—believe that the divine is there where the understanding does not reach.’

—Gregory of Nyssa

Life of Moses, §46

That knowledge is cognitive is perhaps the first assumption with which one must do away, if he is to properly understand St. Gregory of Nyssa’s concept of the divine darkness. Yet it is an assumption so basic to modern scientific thought that its influence is hardly given consideration—it is taken entirely as a base fact in the general arena of learning. Yet it is this very idea which Gregory addresses: the entire way of knowing with which we approach a knowledge of God. His is a knowing that goes beyond the confines and limitations of cognition, with its inherent inability to comprehend the transcendent. It is a knowing that plunges into the negative, into the darkness of that place ‘where the understanding does not reach,’ and there finds the height of true knowledge.

Gregory’s concept of mystical knowing is best expressed in his image of the divine darkness: a symbol that is perhaps one of his greatest gifts to the realm of Christian thought. It is presented most clearly in his famous text, The Life of Moses, and it is primarily from that text that this brief examination shall be made.

Divine Ascent: the Mountain.

The Life of Moses presents us with one of the early Church’s most elegant efforts at symbolic interpretation of Scripture. Gregory discusses the story of Moses and the Jewish exodus from its historical perspective, effectively paraphrasing the Exodus account, then moves on to a ‘spiritual interpretation’—a contemplative examination of its inner meaning. The entire motion of Moses’ life, from his first hearing and heeding the calling of the Lord, to his guidance of the Chosen People out of bondage and into freedom, to his ascent up Sinai to receive the Law from God; all is seen as a great and progressive symbol for the spiritual life of the Christian believer.

One must begin a discussion of the divine darkness with an acknowledgement that, in Gregory’s writing, it is not the only way of knowing. Indeed, it is not even the first. In the story of Moses, Gregory makes plain the fact that much indeed preceded the patriarch’s ascent of Sinai. So, too, must much precede the Christian’s entrance into the darkness of divine knowledge.

Again the Scripture leads our understanding upward to the higher levels of virtue. For the man who received strength from the food and showed his power in fighting with his enemies and was the victor over his opponents is then led to the ineffable knowledge of God. Scripture teaches us by these things the nature and the number of things one must accomplish in life before he would at some time dare to approach in his understanding the mountain of the knowledge of God. [1]

The history of Moses is not a collection of stories, Gregory seems to say, but one great story of progression and development. Moses was not chosen immediately to climb the mountain, but first to be a shepherd and a soldier; and only when having completed the necessary precursors was he to hide in the cleft of the rock and see God. One finds in Gregory’s symbolic interpretation of this text an insistence upon a progression of knowledge, and further of an intimation of knowledge in types. There was a time when Moses knew God from story, then from His guidance in battle, then from His leadership into victory. And then there was the time when knowledge came ineffably, and Moses truly knew God.

In fact, Gregory presents three principal ‘ways’ within the spiritual life, and as J. Daniélou rightly notes, they are somewhat different from those generally encountered. [2] One seee them most clearly in a passage from the Commentary on the Canticle of Canticles:

Moses’ vision of God began with light; afterwards God spoke to him in a cloud. But when Moses rose higher and became more perfect, he saw God in the darkness.

One cannot assess Gregory’s concept of the divine darkness in exclusion from this full design of upward motion. The way of light, the way of knowledge ‘as if in a cloud,’ and the darkness at the peak of the mountaintop are all interconnected, building one upon the next in the faithful seeker’s quest for union with God. The mountain of knowledge is a steep climb, and while the view from the top is worlds apart from that at the bottom, the mountain is still a single monument.

The way of light, which one encounters at the beginning of the spiritual journey, is the most common way of knowing. Gregory is realistic in his assertion that the great majority of people do not climb to the top of the symbolic mountain of knowledge:

The knowledge of God is a mountain steep indeed and difficult to climb—the majority of people scarcely reach its base. [3]

It is not in the darkness, but in the light that the majority of humanity rests in its knowledge. This, indeed, is the realm of cognition. One is stripped of his ignorance when he grows in the light; and through such an illumination he begins to see more clearly the world around him. To this degree, one begins to see more clearly, too, the nature of God. Moses first saw God as light, radiating from the bush at the base of the mountain, and through this light was revealed not only a new knowledge of the Creator, but a heightened knowledge of the human person, and what must be done to grow further still in true knowledge.

That light [of the burning bush] teaches us what we must do to stand within the rays of the true light: Sandaled feet cannot ascend that height where the light of truth is seen, but the dead and earthly covering of skins, which was placed around our nature at the beginning when we were found naked because of disobedience to the divine will, must be removed from the feet of the soul. When we do this, the knowledge of the truth will result and manifest itself. [4]

The way of knowing through the light involves a process of purification, of stripping away what Gregory often refers to as the ‘garment of skin’—not skin in its biological sense, but in its symbolic sense of that which covers and hides the true essence of human nature. Daniélou writes of the light, ‘This way is marked by the purification of the soul from all foreign elements and by the restoration of the image of God.’ [5]

This process, then, leads into the second way of knowing: that which brings about a knowledge of God ‘within the mirror of the soul’, as in a cloud. Here are the first hints of a truly mystical knowing, if one takes that term to mean knowledge by direct experience, as opposed to mere cognition. Having purified one’s self of the perversion of the passions (Daniélou correctly notes that it is not the passions and bodily inclinations themselves that are to be purified in Gregory’s thought, but rather their perversion), [6] the soul begins to come into the knowledge of the unseen. In the Commentary on the Canticle of Canticles, Gregory compares this to a cloud: as the cloud descends upon a person (or, perhaps more accurately, as a person ascends into the cloud), the vision of the senses begins to blur. No longer is knowledge purely a sensory, cognitive act, but the cloud begins to accustom the soul to seek inwards for the knowledge that is hidden. This abandonment of a reliance upon the senses is noted also in The Life of Moses, when the great patriarch drives the animals away before climbing the mountain.

When this had been accomplished and the herd of irrational animals had been driven as far from the mountain as possible, Moses then approached the ascent to loft perceptions. That none of the irrational animals was allowed to appear on the mountain signifies, in my opinion, that in the contemplation of the intelligibles we surpass the knowledge which originates with the senses. [7]

When this knowledge that originates with the senses is surpassed, one begins to know through the soul itself, ‘as through a mirror.’ In Gregory, this concept is based upon a fundamental Christian theme: the indwelling of the Trinity within the human person. As the godhead dwells within the soul, so is the soul able to relate to the person a knowledge of it, in a manner of knowing that is no longer sensory. The soul acts as a mirror, which projects into one’s knowledge the very nature of God.

The contemplation of God is not effected by sight and hearing, nor is it comprehended by any of the customary perceptions of the mind. For no eye has seen, and no ear has heard, nor does it belong to those things which usually enter into the heart of man. [8]

This is the beginning of a knowledge of God by the heart—by the intimate presence of God Himself. Yet it is only faint, and is still blurred, as one would expect within a cloud. The soul must still be purified, and must become ever more accustomed to this new way of knowing. It must, indeed, shed its reliance upon cognition, and embrace the seeming groundlessness of an ‘ineffable knowledge.’ The person

must wash from his understanding every opinion derived from some preconception and withdraw himself from his customary intercourse with his own companion, that is, with his sense perceptions, which are, as it were, wedded to our nature as its companion. When he is so purified, then he assaults the mountain. [9]

The Divine Darkness.

We arrive, then, at the darkness. At the mountain’s peak, when one has ascended to the heart of the cloud, he find himself in the darkness of night. Now all light is gone, and the cloud has become so thick that one at last sees nothing at all. In this place, where the senses cease their sensing, the soul is left to pure contemplation, ‘and there it sees God’. [10]

This notion of darkness being the highest form of knowledge at first seems at odds with Gregory’s earlier discussions of knowledge as light and the escape from ignorance as the escape from darkness. Gregory himself addresses this seeming paradox:

Scripture teaches by this that religious knowledge comes at first to those who receive it as light. Therefore what is perceived to be contrary to religion is darkness, and the escape from darkness comes about when one participates in light. But as the mind progresses and, through an ever greater and more perfect diligence, comes to apprehend reality, as it approaches more nearly to contemplation, it sees more clearly what of the divine nature is uncontemplated. [11]

One finds here clear reference to the different ways of knowing implicit in Gregory’s works. Knowledge is as light when we are ‘babes in the faith’—when one’s understanding is relatively weak and knowledge consists in its expansion. Then it is as light added to a room, which clears away the darkness that the contents may be freely seen. Then comes the mirror of the soul as in a cloud, and finally, the darkness.

The image of the darkness is the capstone of Gregory’s spiritual theology. It consists of the final stage on the ascent of knowledge: in fully shedding the senses and cognitive reason as sources of truth, in finally realising—in a direct and personal way—their inability to grasp the transcendent and ineffable, and coming to know God by a grasp of His unknowability.

Leaving behind everything that is observed, not only what sense comprehends but also what the intelligence thinks it sees, it keeps on penetrating deeper until by the intelligence’s yearning for understanding it gains access to the invisible and incomprehensible, and there it sees God. This is the true knowledge of what is sought; this is the seeing that consists in not seeing, because that which is sought transcends all knowledge, being separated on all sides by incomprehensibility as by a kind of darkness. [12]

And again,

When, therefore, Moses grew in knowledge, he declared that he had seen God in the darkness, that is, that he had then come to know that what is divine is beyond all knowledge and comprehension. [13]

One of Gregory’s greatest contributions to the understanding of personal spirituality and mystical knowledge, was his admission and embrace of the utter transcendence of God. Humans are creatures of knowledge and may grow in their understanding of the Creator; yet there must come a point when they realise that even knowledge is a gift, and a gift greatly transcended by its Giver. When one has ascended far enough up the mountain of knowing, he finally comes to understand that God is beyond knowing, for He is beyond all faculties by which one’s knowing is wrought. Sight and sound, thought and reason may tell us part of what there is to know about God, but they can never tell all. One of the greatest steps the Christian can take in his knowledge of God is that in which he dismisses his cognitive faculties as the end-all of the climb. Moses did not truly see God until he stepped out of the light of seeing, and into the thick darkness of truly knowing.

Yet Gregory’s symbol of the divine darkness is not simply a mere abandonment of positive reason. This would leave his theology essentially empty, and ultimately devoid of meaning. It is easy to read his account of Moses withdrawing into the darkness and understand it to mean a simple resignation of knowledge into ignorance. Yet this is emphatically not Gregory’s message. The darkness is not an emptiness (and thus a meaninglessness), but rather the ultimate fullness. It is, indeed, a darkness that is ‘the effect of an excess of light’ [14] —by the presence of God so complete and so pure that its ineffability comes as a blindness to the senses. Yet it is a blindness only to the customary way of knowing; in the spiritual realm, it is the beginning of true sight. It is ‘to come to know that what is divine is beyond all knowledge and comprehension,’ and thus to be fully in the presence of the ‘fullness of divine existence’. [15] Moses knew God in Egypt, in the desert, and in the wilderness; but it was only in the darkness of the mountaintop that he saw Him.

The Growth of the Soul as the Way of Perfection.

In this short essay we have been concerned with Gregory’s use of the symbol of divine darkness and its significance to his overall understanding of the spiritual life. The limitations of this task have kept us from delving into another, closely-related theme in the Life of Moses and Gregory’s other works: that of spiritual progression. Some intimation of it has been found in the discussion of the threefold progress of knowledge (light, the mirror of the soul, and darkness), yet the extent to which Gregory sees the spiritual life as an entity of constant growth could not be adequately treated within the scope of this paper. We would fail to truly understand his concept of the darkness, however, if we did not make some small mention of it in closing.

When Moses reached the peak of Sinai and was enveloped in the ‘thick darkness where God was’ (Exodus 20.21), he had reached the summit of his climb. His physical journey could go no further. One might be tempted, then, to assume that this is also where his spiritual journey met its climax: the darkness has been reached, and perfection has been attained. Yet to Gregory’s mind, perfection has here only been attained inasmuch as the mountain peak is but the beginning. The climb up the mountain of knowledge has reached its summit, and it is now time for the spiritual journey to begin anew.

For this reason we also say that the great Moses, as he was becoming ever greater, at no time stopped in his ascent, nor did he set a limit for himself in his upward course. [16]

The divine darkness, that which is found at the peak of the mountain, brings the person to an intimate knowledge of God’s transcendence of knowledge; and this in turn leads to an ever greater desire to know God more closely. As such experiential knowledge increases, so does the desire. The result is an ever increasing movement upwards, inwards. The soul is ever satisfied; but in the very moment of satisfaction, new desire grows. Every moment of the spiritual way of knowing is characterised by its newness; every point on the journey is a starting point, and the very perfection of the way consists of its eternal progression. Gregory writes,

Indeed God would not have shown Himself to His servant if the vision would have been such as to terminate Moses’ desire; for the true vision of God consists rather in this, that the soul that looks up to God never ceases to desire Him. (…) The man who thinks that God can be known does not really have life; for he has been falsely diverted from true Being to something devised by his own imagination. For true Being is true Life, and cannot be known by us. If then this life-giving nature transcends knowledge, what our minds attain in this case is surely not life (…). Thus it is that Moses’ desire is filled by the very fact that it remains unfulfilled (…) And this is the real meaning of seeing God: never to have this desire satisfied. [17]

The darkness is the Being of God, and its effect upon man is renewed longing and desire for his Creator. The ascent into darkness begins a continual development in which the human person constantly evolves into a deep awareness of God, and is ever evolved ‘toward what is better, being transformed from glory to glory.’ [18]

SELECT BIBLIOGRAPHY:

Commentary & Study:

Balthasar, Hans Urs von. Présence et pensé – essai sur la philosophie religieuse de Grégoire de Nysse. London: Ignatius Press, 1995. (Also English translation).

Daniélou, J. Platonisme et théologie mystique – essai sur la doctrine spirituelle de saint Grégoire de Nysse. Paris: Editions Montaigne, 1953.

Daniélou, J. & Musurillo, H. From Glory to Glory: Texts from Gregory of Nyssa’s Mystical Writings. London: John Murray, 1962.

Meredith, Anthony. Gregory of Nyssa. London: Routledge, 1999.

Texts:

Editions du Serf: La vie de Moïse – ou traité de la perfection en matière de vertu (text in French and Greek). Paris, 1968.

Malherbe, A.J. & Ferguson, E. The Life of Moses, from The Classics of Western Spirituality (series). New York: Paulist Press, 1978.

Wace, Henry & Schaff, Philip (Ed.). Gregory of Nyssa: Dogmatic Treatises, Etc, from A Select Library of Nicene and Post-Nicene Fathers (series). Oxford: Parker and Co., MDCCCXCIII.

NOTES:

[1] Life of Moses, §152.

[2] Daniélou, Introduction to From Glory to Glory, p.23.

[3] Life of Moses, §158.

[4] Life of Moses, §22.

[5] Daniélou, p.23.

[6] Daniélou, pp.23-4.

[7] Life of Moses, §156.

[8] Life of Moses, §157.

[9] Life of Moses, §157.

[10] Life of Moses, §163.

[11] Life of Moses, §162.

[12] Life of Moses, §163.

[13] Life of Moses, §164.

[14] This poetic phrase belongs to Daniélou, p.37.

[15] Daniélou, p.32.

[16] Life of Moses, §227.

[17] Life of Moses, P.G. 44.404(A-D).

[18] On Perfection, P.G. 46.285(B-C).

Kollyvas
Protoposter

Purification, Illumination & The Vision Of Light

Post by Kollyvas »

http://www.orthodoxia.org/hilarion/arti ... y/gr08.htm

PURIFICATION, ILLUMINATION AND THE VISION OF LIGHT

Code: Select all

The theme of illumination by the Divine light was not simply an object of theological interest for Gregory: it was connected with his deep mystical life. Like many other Christian saints, he had an experience of vision of the Divine light. His first vision of light changed the whole course of his inner life:  

From the time when for the first time, having detached myself from the earthly things,

I mingled my soul with radiant heavenly thoughts

and the high Intellect brought me, put far from flesh,

took from here, hid in inmost parts of a heavenly palace,

illumined my eyes with the light of our Trinity,

Which is more resplendent than anything I could imagine,

Which from an elevated throne pours out upon all an ineffable radiance... -

From this time I died for the world, and the world for me.[1]

We do not know the exact date of this vision, but we have every reason to believe that a profound mystical life was begun by Gregory when he was still a child. Describing his early years, Gregory mentions ‘night visions’ by means of which God instilled in him a love of the life of chastity.[2] ‘When I was a child’, he writes, ‘...I ascended on high, to the radiant throne’.[3] Speaking of his youth, Gregory says: ‘Instead of earthly possessions... I had before my eyes the radiance of God’.[4] It would be unfair to consider all these references to the Divine light as simply rhetorical devices: the question here is of mystical ‘raptures’ and visions of light. 

We should note that visions of light were a ‘family tradition’ for Gregory Nazianzen. His father, Gregory the elder, also had the experience of mystical illumination: when he was baptized and emerged from the pool, he was illumined by the Divine light.[5] In the thought of Gregory the younger, the sacrament of baptism was primarily connected with the idea of illumination (fotismos) by the Divine light. 

The theme of illumination is, in turn, inseparable in his thought from the theme of purification (katharsis).[6] Gregory inherited an interest in this theme from his studies of ancient Greek philosophy, where katharsis is one of the key notions.[7] In general, in his treatment of the themes of mystical illumination and purification, vision of light and other phenomena of spiritual life, Gregory widely employs the language of ancient Greek philosophy, in particular the Platonic terminology. This terminology was introduced into Christian theology be Clement and Origen: the great Cappadocians borrowed it from the latter. We shall not enter here the discussion about the parallelism of mystical experience in Christian and Platonic traditions: this would be a subject for a separate study. We should only like to draw the attention of our reader to a distinctive feature of Gregory Nazianzen’s mystical language. 

Developing the theme of purification-katharsis, Gregory speaks of it as an important ingredient of what he called ‘philosophy’:[8] ‘First wisdom’, he says, ‘is a praiseworthy life, which has been purified or is being purified for the most pure and luminous God, Who demands from us only one sacrifice, purification’.[9] Purification is more important than theology: ‘To speak of God is a great thing, but to purify oneself for God is a much greater still’.[10] In this aphorism purification-katharsis is not opposed to theology. Rather, purification is a necessary condition for theology: it is that ascent to Mount Sinai which, as we have seen, is impossible without purification. 

Purification is the way of intellectual ascent from the fleshly to the spiritual, from earth to God, from material darkness to immaterial light: it is a Platonic way of detachment and liberation from the body. Purification as the highest stage of the life of philosophy:  

Whoever has been permitted to escape by reason and contemplation from matter and this fleshly cloud or veil,- no matter how it should be called,- and to hold communion with God, and be associated, as far as human nature can attain, with the most pure Light, blessed is he, both from his ascent from here, and for his deification there, which is conferred by true philosophy, and by rising superior to the duality of matter, through the unity which is perceived in the Trinity.[11]

To understand this text, one should remember that in the Platonic tradition the way to perfection was perceived as one from multiplicity to simplicity, from duality to unity. Plotinus, in particular, claims that in order to come to the knowledge of the Unity we must become one from many.[12] Contemplation of the One is, according to Plotinus, a total unity with the One which excludes all multiplicity or diversity: ‘There were not two; beholder was one with beheld; it was not a vision compassed but a unity apprehended. The man formed by this mingling with the Supreme... is become the Unity, nothing within him or without inducing any diversity; no movement now, no passion, no desire, once this ascent is achieved... It was a going forth from the self, a simplifying, a reunification, a reach towards contact and at the same time a repose’.[13] The highest stage of the mystical ascent is a state of ecstasy, a total mingling with the One and diffusion in Him. The vision of the highest Intellectual-Principle is connected in Plotinus with the experience of the vision of light emanating from it.[14] One can, of course, point to the disparity between the ecstasy of Plotinus as a diffusion in the impersonal One and the mystical contemplation of Gregory as an encounter with the personal Deity, the Trinity. Yet one cannot but see a startling similarity of language, terminology or imagery between the two authors. 

According to Gregory, purification of the intellect is necessary for the contemplation of the most pure light:  

God is light, and light supreme. Every other light is only its weak emanation (aporroe) and reflection which reaches the earth, however bright it would seem to be. But you see that darkness[15] was under His feet and He made darkness His secret place,[16] having placed it between Himself and us, in the same manner as Moses of old put a veil between himself and the grossness of Israel,[17] in order that it should not be easy for the darkened nature to see the hidden beauty... and in order that only light would come in contact with the Light, which always draws one higher through desire (efeseos),[18] and in order that only purified intellect would approach to the Most Pure, and in order that something should be revealed now and something else later, as a reward for virtue and for inclination here to this (absolute purity), or rather, for assimilation (to it).[19]

It is noteworthy that in the text quoted God is called ‘hidden beauty’ and the contact with Him is described in terms of an encounter of ‘light’ with ‘the Light’. Here we can see again an echo of mysticism of Plotinus. The latter speaks of the absolute Beauty which is a source of all beauty.[20] Everything that exists has its beauty from the light, which is before everything, says Plotinus.[21] Having reached the state of unification, the human person sees both the highest absolute Light and himself as light: ‘Thus we have all the vision that may be of Him and of ourselves; but it is of a self wrought to splendour, brimmed with the Intellectual light, become that very light, pure, buoyant, unburdened, raised to Godhead, or, better, knowing its Godhead...’[22] Thus the human person not only contemplated the light but also is transformed into light. 

Like Plotinus, Gregory speaks of one’s transformation into the light: ‘However much is one approaching the King, so much one is a light’.[23] The human person is called to ‘become light’, that is, to be entirely purified in all members of the body and all senses:  

Let us become light, as it was said to the disciples by the Great Light, ye are the light of the world...[24] Let us lay hold of the Godhead; let us lay hold of the first and brightest Light. Let us walk towards His radiance... Let us cleanse every member, brothers, let us purify every sense; let nothing in us be imperfect, nothing of our first birth; let us leave nothing unillumined. Let us enlighten our eyes, that we may look straight on... Let us enlighten our ears; let us enlighten our tongue... Let us be healed also in the smell... Let us cleanse our touch, our taste, our throat... It is good to have our head cleansed... It is good also for the shoulder to be sanctified and purified... It is good for the hands to be consecrated, as well as the feet... There is also a cleansing of the belly... I find also the heart and inward parts deemed worthy of honour... And what about the loins, or reins, for we must not pass these over? Let the purification take hold of these also... Let us give to God all our members which are upon the earth... Let us give ourselves entire, that we may receive back ourselves entire; for this is to receive entirely, when we give ourselves to God and offer as a sacrifice our own salvation.[25]

To become light one must be thoroughly purified, sanctified, transformed and transfigured. Here Gregory goes beyond the realm of the Neo-Platonist terminology and uses biblical material to prove his concepts. Instead of the Platonic idea of liberation from the body he advances the concept of purification of the body as a necessary condition for participation in the Divine light.[26] Not only intellectual efforts, but also different ascetical exploits on the level of the body, as well as the fear of God and observance of God’s commandments, all this leads to mystical illumination:  

For where fear is there is observance of commandments; and where there is observance of commandments there is purification of the flesh, that cloud which covers the soul and causes it not to see the divine ray. And where there is purification there is illumination; and illumination is the satisfaction of desire of those who long for the greatest things, or the Greatest Thing, Which surpasses all greatness.[27]

The person who has been purified receives access to the illumination by the ‘ray’ of the Divine light. However, as Gregory emphasizes, not every light which appears to a person is necessarily divine. As there are two kinds of fire, there are also two kinds of light. There is light that directs our steps according to the will of God, and there is also a ‘deceitful and meddling’ light which is ‘quite contrary to the true light, though pretending to be that light’: it is ‘thought to be bright light by those who have been ruined by luxury’, but in reality it is darkness. A Christian should beware of this deceitful light and kindle for himself ‘the light of knowledge’.[28] The question here is about a phenomenon which is known to many mystical writers. As early as in St Paul we find a warning about Satan who can be ‘transformed into an angel of light’.[29] The subsequent tradition developed a teaching according to which the Devil can imitate certain actions of God, including the appearance of light.[30] 

The theme of the vision of the Divine light is frequently considered by Gregory in an eschatological perspective.[31] He emphasizes that what reaches us in this present life is only ‘a scant emanation’ or ‘a small beam from a great light’.[32] The light of the truth here is ‘moderate’,[33] and we receive here a certain ‘measured’ degree of God’s radiance, while in the future life people are illumined by the Trinity ‘in a more pure and lucid manner’.[34] Developing the theme of St Paul who said that ‘now we see through a glass, darkly; but then face to face’,[35] Gregory speaks of the encounter with ‘the light from there’ as the goal of Christian life:  

...May you be in attendance upon the great King, filled with the light from there. May we also receive from it a small stream, as it can appear in mirrors and enigmas,[36] and may we finally find the very Source of good, gazing with pure mind upon the truth in its purity, and finding a reward for our eager toil here below on behalf of the good, in our more perfect possession and vision of the good on high. This is precisely the end of our initiation (mystagogia) of which our theological books and teachers tell us.[37]

[1] PG 37,984-987.

[2] PG 37,1367.

[3] PG 37,1006.

[4] PG 37,992.

[5] Disc.18,13; PG 35,1001.

[6] Cf. C. Moreschini in SC 358,62-70; T. Špidlik, Grégoire, pp. 75-83.

[7] On the idea of katharsis in Plato and Plotinus see A. Louth, The Origins of the Christian Mystical Tradition, pp. 7-10; 44-47.

[8] Gregory used the term ‘philosophy’ to mean the contemplative life.

[9] Disc.16,2; PG 35,936.

[10] Disc.32,12,13-14; SC 318,110.

[11] Disc.21,2,1-8; SC 270,112-114.

[12] Enn.6,9,3.

[13] Enn.6,9,11. Cf. Gregory Nazianzen, Disc.21,1,25-26; SC 270,112: ‘God is the limit of everything desirable and repose from every contemplation’.

[14] Enn.5,5,7-8.

[15] I.e. body. Cf. scholium of Elijah of Crete in PG 36,854 CD.

[16] Cf. Ps.17:10-12/18:9-11.

[17] Cf. Ex.34:33. Cf. similar interpretation of the veil of Moses in Basil the Great, On the Holy Spirit 21,52.

[18] In Plotinus, this term means the desire of unity with the highest Good.

[19] Disc.32,15,1-13; SC 318,116.

[20] Enn.6,7,32-33.

[21] Enn.6,7,31.

[22] Enn.6,9,9.

[23] PG 37,446 = 2.31.

[24] Matt.5:14.

[25] Disc.40,38,1-40,26; SC 358,284-292.

[26] The idea of purification of the body is also found in Plato, Cratylus 405ab.

[27] Disc.39,8,13-18; SC 358,164.

[28] Disc.40,37,1-17; SC 358,282-284.

[29] 2 Cor.11:14.

[30] Cf. Diadochos of Photiki, On Spiritual Knowledge 40: ‘You should not doubt that the intellect, when it begins to be strongly energized by the divine light, becomes so completely translucent that it sees its own light vividly... But when St Paul says that Satan himself is transformed into an angel of light, he definitely teaches us that everything which appears to the intellect, whether as light or as fire, if it has a shape, is the product of the evil artifice of the enemy’.

[31] See J. Mossay, La mort et l’au-delà dans saint Grégoire de Nazianze (Louvain, 1966), pp. 110ff.

[32] Disc.28,17,9-11; SC 250,136 (Wikham, 233).

[33] Disc.38,11,24-25; SC 358,126.

[34] Disc.39,20,12-15; SC 358,196.

[35] 1 Cor.13:12.

[36] Cf. 1 Cor.13:12.

[37] Disc.7,17,13-21; SC 405,222. Cf. Plotinus, Enn.5,3,17.