Discussion and criticism of GOC-K & SiR Union

Formerly "Intra-TOC Private Discussions."

Barbara
Protoposter

Re: Discussion and criticism of GOC-K & SiR Union

Post by Barbara »

I see from a Bio of Met Chrysostomos that it's his deputy, Bp Auxentios, who has been placed as "Exarch", according to this account. What is the situation of Met Chrysostomos these days ? Is he staying involved in these events of the union and its aftermath ?
Or has he retired from the world - that is, the Church world, entirely ? Perhaps becoming a hermit of sorts at Etna ?
What illness is it ?

Matthew
Protoposter

Post by Matthew »

Maria wrote:
Barbara wrote:

Very WELL SAID< Icxypion.

{Except that I believe he is now Archbishop - or no, Metropolitan !] Chrysostomos. Does anyone have information on when
and how that elevation was made ? Would it seem that it was a reward for the Etna hierarch's stringent support of that union? }

Since only Archbishop Kallinikos carries the title of Archbishop in the GOC-K, Archbishop Chrysostomos of Etna was reduced in rank to a Metropolitan as part of the union with the GOC-K. Met. Chrysostomos has retired due to ill health with an appointed bishop already in place to take over his administrative duties.

Thank you Maria for that update/clarification. I would like to point out, in case some were entertaining the idea, that Metr. Chrysostom is "retired" does not get anyone in the GOC-K/SiR Unia off the hook or relieve one of the serious problem of being in communion with Metr. Chrysostom of Etna who is clearly Kyprianite in his ecclesiology. Retired does not mean "no longer in communion with". And that is the problem. Being in communion with an unrepentant heretic who denies the dogma of the Oneness of the Church that can include no confessors of heresy.

Symeon

Barbara
Protoposter

Post by Barbara »

Very sharp of Icxypion to catch this important point.

In fact, I was VAGUELY thinking like that myself, that the retired Met may no longer be in the game at all, and pitying him.
But Met Chrysostomos never wavered from his support of Cyprianism. So why would he now ??

In addition, he probably raised an entire generation of Etna monks, nuns, pilgrims and visitors who are partly or entirely formed in his ecclesiology. That is a danger, too, for the future which must be borne in mind when considering his influence.
And that influence could be disportionate due to his background as a PhD and teacher at Princeton, etc. Plus many other appointments or involvements. One fears that new arrivals might be awed by that and swallow whole any Cyprianite teachings propounded either in person or by letter or by article by Met Chrysostomos [Retired].

Justice
Sr Member
Faith: Deism
Jurisdiction: Possible Inquirer

Post by Justice »

Something tells me Metropolitan Petros (memory eternal) wouldn't have approved of this merge.

Barbara
Protoposter

Post by Barbara »

Interesting point. Have you seen the Forum's manager's book on Metropolitan Petros of Astoria, Justice ?
I haven't read it yet, but you sound like you know a bit about this GOC-K founder. What makes you think this ? Any telltale signs ?

Justice
Sr Member
Faith: Deism
Jurisdiction: Possible Inquirer

Post by Justice »

No I haven't read Anastasios's book yet though it sounds really interesting. As for Metropolitan Petros, I mainly state this because in 1974, The Greek Old Calendarist Church reiterated the belief that the New Calendarist churches were devoid of Grace he refused to sign the paper and was deposed from the Synod. Though I can't find anything about his beliefs when the former Synod in Resistance split from the GOC-K, though based on his former refusal to accept the New Calendar Churches as only halfway graceless I think he wouldn't have approved of this union.

Barbara
Protoposter

Post by Barbara »

I don't 100 % follow you. So this 1974 document said what ? That the New Calendar Churches were PARTLY devoid of grace ? Or completely devoid of grace ? Surely Metropolitan Petros must have considered them to be devoid of grace with no reservations ? Which is why he protested against signing the declaration ? Do I understand correctly ?

You are doing an admirable job of acquiring knowledge of various TOC jurisdictions and their histories, Justice. Wonderful work. Keep digging - be sure to inform us what you find.

Soon you will join the ranks of the Euphrosynos Café forum moderators, I bet !