Formerly "Intra-TOC Private Discussions."

Maria
Archon
Faith: True Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: GOC

Re: Life of Archbishop Gregory

Post by Maria »

maximus wrote:

Before I joined ROAC, I was involved with Gregory of Colorado... I remember this website being a sort of "warning bell" in my head, something that didn't sit right with me. It perhaps helped lead me away from him and into a True Synod.

If I may ask, what did not sit right?

Lord Jesus Christ, have mercy on me a sinner.

maximus
Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: ROAC

Post by maximus »

Maria wrote:
maximus wrote:

Before I joined ROAC, I was involved with Gregory of Colorado... I remember this website being a sort of "warning bell" in my head, something that didn't sit right with me. It perhaps helped lead me away from him and into a True Synod.

If I may ask, what did not sit right?

The fact that the site existed and was accepted by Gregory without, what seemed, any form of humility. The biography seemed, to me, to want to revere this man as a saint. This comes to mind: "whoever exalts himself will be humbled, and whoever humbles himself will be exalted." (Matthew 23:12)

It led me to do just a pinch more research on him and learnt of his ex-communication from ROAC. I'm summarizing in sentences what took months but that was the gist of it.

“Sometimes men are tested by pleasure, sometimes by distress or by physical suffering. By means of His prescriptions the Physician of souls administers the remedy according to the cause of the passions lying hidden in the soul.”

+ St. Maximos the Confessor

Maria
Archon
Faith: True Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: GOC

Post by Maria »

Lydia wrote:
Maria wrote:

Certainly there were errors made, but can one trust what Archbishop Gregory of Denver says or writes when he himself was kicked out of the ROAC and is not part of any recognized synod? Wasn't he also deposed?

Yes, he was, by more than one synod. But his summaries of the various Orthodox jurisdictions and their Bishops seem to be accurate.

I have read what Archbishop Gregory of Denver says regarding the bishops of HOTCA, and it seems fueled by gossip. Thus, I cannot trust anything the man writes, including AB Gregory's (auto)biography presented on his website.

Lord Jesus Christ, have mercy on me a sinner.

Justice
Sr Member
Faith: Deism
Jurisdiction: Possible Inquirer

Post by Justice »

I think a lot of us who were interested in True Orthodoxy ended up on Gregory of Colorado's website first thinking it's a true synod. As for me, warning bells started going off in my head when all other TOC synods said he wasn't Canonical. When I recently visited his website, I began watching his videos about the Mathewites and how they take the Calendar issue to seriously and how all the Russian Synods such as ROAC and RTOC were uncanoncil. After confirming what I originally thought I'm glad I left.