Say What?? - Orthodox Prayer and Buddhist Mindfulness

FrBrendan

Re: Say What?? - Orthodox Prayer and Buddhist Mindfulness

Post by FrBrendan »

Allow me to me add: I am completely puzzled why writers in this forum have called me an "ecumenist." I am not even sure what that means, but the posted example--of people who say that Buddhists should be better Buddhists, etc.--has nothing to do with me or my life. I became Orthodox precisely because of the syncretism which is prevalent in much of Protestant and Latin theology, and among their missionaries (those that actually have missionaries--most of the so-called "mainline" churches no longer have mission at all). My family sacrificed greatly to live among non-Christians for many years in order to bring the Gospel of Jesus Christ there. So, I am very glad to hear constructive criticism from viewers who have actually been missionaries and who can say honestly that they were used by God to bring many into the Orthodox faith. If they cannot say this, then I will assume they are ignorant not only about world religions but about Orthodoxy, Church history, and the nature of Orthodox mission. Blessings in Christ, +Fr Brendan

joasia
Protoposter
Jurisdiction: RTOC

Post by joasia »

Fr. Brendan,
I enjoyed your lecture and appreciate the information you provided despite the short time you were given. It was very insightful.

I don't see anything wrong with Fr. Brendan's lecture. It has nothing to do with ecumenism. He is just providing information on how Buddhists think. It certainly helps to have someone give specific points of differences and similarities between Orthodox Christian beliefs and Buddhist views. And yes, there can be similarities, but these are helpful to know especially if we meet a Buddhist and can draw them into an interest in hearing about the true God. The Apostles did that with the pagans. The goal is to get them to convert to Christianity, not to incorporation Buddhist views into Orthodoxy, so we have to identify some kind of aspect of their beliefs that are similar. Nowhere did I get an inkling of an idea that he sounded ecumenist and I would be the first one to point it out. Actually, I heard the opposite; he was definitely clear on the fact that the Buddhist views are not accepted in Orthodoxy . I've also listened to podcasts that gave detailed information about Protestants, by other priests, but they certainly weren't agreeing to their beliefs just explaining why they believe that way. And it helped me to understand Orthodoxy better too, on a theological level. Now, I can articulate my answers to specific questions when asked.

I think it's important to know how other religions think in order to know how to explain Christianity.

Joanna

Last edited by joasia on Sat 25 July 2015 10:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

Create in me a clean heart, O God, and renew a right spirit within me. (Ps. 50)

joasia
Protoposter

Post by joasia »

Maria wrote:

I only listened to this video once. Therefore, I must ask any listeners, did you hear Father Brendan mention Christ our Lord and God, the Holy Trinity, or mention of our Holy Mysteries? He did not begin his talk with the Sign of the Cross.

Sounded to me like he didn't have much time so he covered some basics. He did mention his paper had more details. Someone can correct me, but is it necessary, for a priest, to do the Sign of the Cross before a lecture?

Many Ecumenists are very careful not to offend others in their speech, so they will not mention the name of Jesus Christ, or that He is Lord, Master, and the Son of God. Neither will most mention the All Holy Trinity: Father, Son, and Holy Spirit.

Fr. Brendan does explain that in Orthodoxy "watchfulness is the fixing of the mind in Jesus Christ". He only had 30 minutes and couldn't get into the theological details.

Joanna

Maria
Archon
Faith: True Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: GOC

Post by Maria »

Today, Fr. Panagiotes Carras sent this email to his usergroup:

Saint Paul presents us with the essence of our Lord's Gospel in the following words: ye are the temple of the living God; as God hath said, I will dwell in them, and walk in them; and I will be their God, and they shall be my people (2Corinthians 6:16). Saint John Chrysostom tells us that Saint Paul is making known to us: That we should be temples of God, sons and daughters, have Him indwelling, and walking in us, be His people, have Him for our God and Father.

To be able to receive the promised sonship, Saint Paul admonishes us: Be ye not unequally yoked together with unbelievers: for what fellowship hath righteousness with unrighteousness? and what communion hath light with darkness? (2Corinthians 6:14). Satan is waging an all out war in his attempt to destroy this fundamental teaching of our Lord.

We are living in the age of the Counterculture Revolution that has ushered in a New World Order. Almost everything in our world contrives to separate us from our Heavenly Father and to bind us to darkness.

It is sad to see people, who present themselves as Orthodox clergy, abandoning our Saviour and uniting with darkness. There is nothing new about today's New World Order. Satan is reformatting the temptation that led to the fall of Adam and Eve. We are told that we do not need our heavenly Father and that mankind should create its own new world.

This temptation has many facets but ultimately it directs us to turn away from God and to make ourselves the centre of our world. We learn to become self-centered and live for ourselves. Whatever makes us feel good becomes the motivating factor of our existence.

Ecumenism, as an organized social movement, seeks to create a new world order in which God is absent. Apostles of Ecumenism, such as, Bartholomew, the false Patriarch of Constantinople, foster this belief and encourage their followers to take control and create a new Paradise.

Patriarch Bartholomew on July 21st, at The Summit of Conscience for the Climate in Paris, espoused the Hindu based religious/social teachings of Mata Amritanandamayi of Southern India. This is just one more effort of The Green Patriarch, as Al Gore has named him, to further the Godless teachings of Ecumenism.

In light of the above, let us remember the words of Saint Irenaeus of Lyons:

• God gives His communion to all who love Him. Communion with God is life and light and sweetness with all the good things that He has. But those who of their own will forsake Him He rewards with separation from Him, which they themselves have chosen. As separation from light is darkness, so also alienation from God is deprivation of all good things which He has. But the good things of God are eternal and without end, so that the loss of them is eternal and without end. Thus sinners shall be the cause of their own torments, just as the blind do not see the light, although it is shining on them.(Against Heresies, V.27)

In Christ,
Fr. Panagiotes
Go to http://www.Orthodoxyinfo.org for a wide variety of articles on the Faith

Let us pause to remember that Fr. Brendan is in communion with the EP. What does this imply?

When I came into True Orthodoxy, I willingly renounced the EP, Patriarch Bartholomew, by name.

Again, it is unfortunate that Fr. Brendan does not warn his listeners to be wary of Buddhism's many false gods. In his attempt to present Buddhism academically and with political correctness, he might be leading people astray.

Lord Jesus Christ, have mercy on me a sinner.

joasia
Protoposter

Post by joasia »

Again, it is unfortunate that Fr. Brendan does not warn his listeners to be wary of Buddhism's many false gods. In his attempt to present Buddhism academically and with political correctness, he might be leading people astray.

Fr. Brendan has the attitude that their beliefs are wrong. He never said anything that sounded like he would try to convince the listeners that they should consider that religion. I still don't see where he is trying to convince people of Buddhism. It's just an educational summary of their beliefs.

As to the other comment, that should be addressed separately. Personally, the actual lecture was very edifying. I learnt a lot about that religion so that I can understand how to show them the true God.

Barbara
Protoposter

Post by Barbara »

Sidetrack for a moment regarding Fr Panagiotes essay : The "Green patriarch" espoused the religious teachings of one of the many "Sri Mata" 's ?? It is difficult to keep them straight. This could be the famous 'hugging' Hindu who travels all the time hugging lonely Westerners in gigantic 'audiences'. I have to check it, but that is appalling about Pat. Bartholomew.
Though we need some more details before completely understanding what took place.

Fr Brendan is indeed brave to come here and defend himself ! We all apologize for any misunderstandings generated by his talk on Buddhism and hope his feelings weren't hurt.

Maria
Archon
Faith: True Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: GOC

Post by Maria »

When I tried to access this recording at Ancient Faith just now, I received a 404 error. Page not found.
I was able to access Ancient Faith, but could not find the recording nor Fr. Brendan Pelphrey's name as a contributor.

However, Fr. Brendan might have asked that his recording to be removed from Ancient Faith as he stated in his post above that he could not do justice to his article in the restricted time format of a podcast. That is understandable. Besides I would rather read the printed unabridged format if he could make a pdf copy or link available to us.

Again, I must ask if anyone here has read the book by Fr. Seraphim Rose, Orthodoxy and the Future of Religion, which discussed Buddhism and Hinduism

In the absence of such awareness and discernment, the increasing presence of Eastern religious movements in the West, especially in the past decade or two, has caused great confusion in the minds of many would-be Christians. The case of Thomas Merton comes immediately to mind: a sincere convert to Roman Catholicism and Catholic monasticism some forty years ago (long before the radical reforms of Vatican II), he ended his days proclaiming the equality of Christian religious experiences and the experience of Zen Buddhism and other pagan religions. Something has "entered the air" in these past two decades or so that has eroded whatever remained of a sound Christian outlook in Protestantism and Roman Catholicism and now is attacking the Church itself, Holy Orthodoxy. The "dialogue with non-Christian religions" is a result rather than a cause of this new "spirit."

http://www.orthodoxphotos.com/readings/ ... ther.shtml

The technique of Japanese Zen is very similar to that of Indian Yoga — from which it is ultimately derived — although it is rather simpler. There is the same basic posture (but not the variety of postures of Yoga), breathing technique, the repetition of a sacred name if desired, as well as other techniques peculiar to Zen. The aim of these techniques is the same as that of Yoga: to abolish rational thinking and attain a state of calm, silent meditation. The sitting position "impedes discursive reasoning and thinking" and enables one to go "down to the center of one's being in imageless and silent contemplation" to "a deep and beautiful realm of psychic life," to "deep interior silence." The experience thus attained is somewhat similar to that achieved by taking drugs, for "people who have used drugs understand a little about Zen, since they have been awakened to the realization that there is a depth in the mind worth exploring." And yet this experience opens up via new approach to Christ, an approach that is less dualistic and more Oriental." Even absolute beginners in Zen can attain "a sense of union and an atmosphere of supernatural presence," a savoring of "mystical silence"; through Zen, the state of contemplation hitherto restricted to a few "mystics" can be "broadened out," and "all may have vision, all may reach samadhi" (enlightenment).

http://www.orthodoxphotos.com/readings/future/zen.shtml

It is this almost instant feeling of success and enlightenment while engaging in Zen Buddhism that can take an inquirer away from Christianity. This is the real and present danger. In Orthodoxy, catechumen must wait a year or more before being Baptized and Chrismated, so they may think: Why wait so long to receive enlightenment? Why struggle to reach theosis in Orthodox Christianity if one can reach the state of enlightenment in Zen Buddhism and have instant gratification and a savoring of mystical silence? Thus, like Thomas Merton, one might adopt Zen Buddhism or their practices and possibly lose his salvation. Lord have mercy.

Again, warning people about the danger of losing one's salvation by associating with the false gods and practices of Hinduism and Buddhism, is a good thing as the Truth shall set us free. Shouting that the practice of Hinduism and Buddhism is demon worship, like the Westboro Baptist Church does, would be a turn off. However, we are reminded when reading the psalms:
"All the gods of the pagans are demons (Psalm 95:5)."

One should have the blessing of his or her spiritual father before attempting to convert anyone to the Holy Faith. In addition, one must realize that it is the grace of Christ and His Holy Spirit which enlighten every soul and bring it to salvation. All we can do is point the way and not obstruct the path.

Lord Jesus Christ, have mercy on me a sinner.