Maria
Archon
Faith: True Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: GOC

Re: G.O.C any help appreciated

Post by Maria »

someguy wrote:

can the more learned answer the below for me;

• does true orthodox generally endorse no communion unless re chrismation into "their" truth is done prior, in regards to an orthodox heretic?

• does true orthodox generally say do not attend any other churches even mainstream orthodox and true orthodox parishes, if yes even for a funeral, death of family member?

• does true orthodox generally allow heretics to witness mysteries, if no even for a baptism / wedding of a catechum's family?

• does true orthodox generally forbid dancing / music, if yes even the traditional kind as in no sleazy modern types?

1. True Orthodox Churches will either chrismate or baptize a person who desires to be received into communion with their synod. They do not believe in open communion. The G.O.C. is very strict in how a baptism is done. For instance, every hair and every limb of the body must be completely submerged three times unless a baptism is done in an emergency and the patient cannot be removed from their deathbed. In that case, they may be sprinkled, and the baptism does not need to be repeated if they should survive.

2. True Orthodox Churches do not want parishioners to attend World Orthodox churches or other synods who call themselves True Orthodox as we are not to pray with those who are heretics or schismatics. Attending a funeral of a relative is an ask your priest question. Generally permission is granted, but we are told not to give a eulogy or participate in any of public prayers. However, we can pray privately for their souls that they may be saved somehow.

3. True Orthodox generally will allow a heretic or schismatic to witness mysteries, but they are usually asked to stay in the Narthex during a Divine Liturgy, baptism, chrismation, wedding, or funeral. In addition, they are not allowed to come into the Nave and partake of the antidoron, nor are members permitted to take a piece of antidoron and give it to non-members or those who are not in good standing. Again, these are questions that must be asked of the priest, especially if non-Orthodox, heretical, or schismatic family members are coming to the baptism, chrismation, wedding, or funeral of an Orthodox Christian.

4. Modern secular music is not recommended. Listen to the words and you will understand. Neither is modern dancing as most of it is now quite dirty, and yes, quite sleazy. However, older traditional Greek, Russian, Georgian, Romanian, Bulgarian, etc. dances at a wedding may or may not be allowed. It is an ask the priest type of question. Nevertheless, chanters, readers, subdeacons, deacons, priests, and bishops should not dance even at a wedding. Usually members of the clergy who are attending weddings will leave just prior to the beginning of the dance if there is a dance.

Lord Jesus Christ, have mercy on me a sinner.

someguy
Jr Member

Post by someguy »

Maria wrote:

was recently reprimanded.

What do you mean by this and by who?

someguy
Jr Member

Post by someguy »

Thanks for the answers as I have seen different postures on this over the years and just wanted to know what the general consensus is.

Also is it safe to say the general approaching of communion is a three day preparation, unless it a fasting period?

It seems many do not know alot about true orthodox parishes in this part of the world though would a true orthodox parish still accept the baptism of a mainstream orthodox parish in the current climate?

So if true orthodox is true orthodox in terms of the two GOC lines Florinite/Mathewite why would they not inter commune if they truly endorse core orthodoxy and have apostolic succession?
I'm guessing this is complicated but though is it both not wanting to or only one of the two?

Last edited by someguy on Thu 15 November 2018 6:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Orthodox in Michigan
Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: GOC Archbishop Pachomios

Post by Orthodox in Michigan »

1. True Orthodox Churches do not want parishioners to attend World Orthodox churches or other synods who call themselves True Orthodox as we are not to pray with those who are heretics or schismatics. Attending a funeral of a relative is an ask your priest question. Generally permission is granted, but we are told not to give a eulogy or participate in any of public prayers. However, we can pray privately for their souls that they may be saved somehow.

Maria thank you for more through answers im sure lots of laity are really lacking knowledge of this , something that has puzzled me is i read one. Of the bishops in Lebanon who is under the schismatic metropolitan kirykos is claming that when he was under met angelos in the past was instructed to give holy communion to new calendarists and even to commerate the patriarch to avoid confrontation, if that is true what are we to beleive when they are listed as true orthodox on this site?

Now i am only asking these questions because I would like straght answers and not be lied to or feel afraid to ask questions without being threatened to be baned or kicked off if it is a violation to ask i will gladly leave here or if i offend any one .

Justice
Sr Member
Faith: Deism
Jurisdiction: Possible Inquirer

Post by Justice »

Orthodox in Michigan wrote:

2. True Orthodox Churches do not want parishioners to attend World Orthodox churches or other synods who call themselves True Orthodox as we are not to pray with those who are heretics or schismatics. Attending a funeral of a relative is an ask your priest question. Generally permission is granted, but we are told not to give a eulogy or participate in any of public prayers. However, we can pray privately for their souls that they may be saved somehow.

Maria thank you for more through answers im sure lots of laity are really lacking knowledge of this , something that has puzzled me is i read one. Of the bishops in Lebanon who is under the schismatic metropolitan kirykos is claming that when he was under met angelos in the past was instructed to give holy communion to new calendarists and even to commerate the patriarch to avoid confrontation, if that is true what are we to beleive when they are listed as true orthodox on this site?.

Taking into consideration all the encyclicals issued by Met. Angelos have been firmly against Ecumenism and New Calendarism, it seems unlikely that the accusations made by the former Bishop Seraphim are true. Below is the official statement regarding Bishop Seraphim and his unorthodox actions.

Orthodox in Michigan
Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: GOC Archbishop Pachomios

Post by Orthodox in Michigan »

So yes thank you justice for that information,now that means someone is not being truthful , how does one go about knowing it when neither side has proof of their claims?

All i know is what the fruit of what is happening now is the former bishop Seraphim was not bothered when under the metropolitan of avalon now it seems he is being taken to court and being sued by the antiochian patriarch to be able to wear vestments and fined $700 every time they preform a service , im not sure if i have the dollar amount correct but the best i recall. So to me if and i am wrong alot would this happen if he acknowledged the patriarch?

someguy
Jr Member

Post by someguy »

Orthodox in Michigan wrote:

So yes thank you justice for that information,now that means someone is not being truthful , how does one go about knowing it when neither side has proof of their claims?

Such scandals are unfortunately common in the ministry though can I please try to direct the discussion back to the original query of trying to find True Orthodoxy in New South Wales, Australia?

So is there solid evidence to dismiss the bishop in the originally posted link?

Thank you all