Old SIR Videos - What does the heresy of Ecumenism entail?

Formerly "Intra-TOC Private Discussions."

Madison Grant
Jr Member

Old SIR Videos - What does the heresy of Ecumenism entail?

Post by Madison Grant »

Maria, not sure where this thread belongs and so move it to where you'd like. Thanks.

Hi,

I've seen some old videos from the now defunct SIR synod that were produced in the late 1990s and early 2000s. Would there happen to be any other videos from other jurisdictions? Does anyone know?

And I have a question on these videos, to get some feedback from the board, what exactly, out of curiousity, is the accusation about the SIR being ecumenist all about? Is it ecumenism between TOCs or is it ecumenism between TOCs and WO, that is the problem? I don't have a pony in this race and so don't think that I do.

Boy, I'm just sure it's going to be another Chernobyl nuclear meltdown with this thread. :wink:

Maria
Archon
Faith: True Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: GOC

Re: Old SIR Videos - What does the heresy of Ecumenism entail?

Post by Maria »

What does the heresy of Ecumenism entail:

Three things:

(1) Praying with those in schism and heresy. Therefore, anyone who is in a True Orthodox Synod who communes outside of his synod is involved with Old Calendar Ecumenism.

For example, if a person in the Stephanos GOC Synod were to visit and pray with clerics or laity in any of the TOCs in communion with Archbishop Kallinikos (the former SiR, the ROCA parishes under Archbishop Agafangel, or the Romanians and the Bulgarians) or with any other TOCs such as the RTOC or ROAC, then that person would be guilty of Old Calendar Ecumenism and would be subject to excommunication from Archbishop Stephanos' synod.

(2) Praying with those who are in the New Calendar or who are in communion with those in the New Calendar such as all those jurisdictions in communion with the MP and the EP.

So, if a person in any TOC were to pray with or have communion with any member parish of World Orthodoxy (Antiochian Orthodox, Greek Orthodox Archdiocese under the EP, Moscow Patriarchal parishes, OCA, ROCOR parishes under the MP, Serbian Orthodox, etc.), then that would be considered to be Ecumenism, and that person would be subject to excommunication.

(3) Praying with those who are not Orthodox Christians, for example Roman Catholics, Anglicans, Protestants, Pentecostals, Jews, Muslims, Buddhists, pagans, etc.

Since the MP and the EP have been hosting inter-faith prayer meetings with Roman Catholics, Anglicans, Pentecostals, and Protestants, who have been having inter-faith prayer meetings with Jews, Muslims, Buddhists, pagans, etc., anyone with common sense can see that the water is very muddy.

Draw a Venn Diagram to see how far ecumenism has penetrated all our lives.

Lord Jesus Christ, have mercy on me a sinner.

Madison Grant
Jr Member

Post by Madison Grant »

Maria wrote:

What does the heresy of Ecumenism entail:

(1) Praying with those in schism and heresy. Therefore, anyone who is in a True Orthodox Synod who communes outside of his synod is involved with Old Calendar Ecumenism.

For example, if a person in the Stephanos GOC Synod were to visit and pray with clerics or laity in any of the TOCs in communion with Archbishop Kallinikos (the former SiR, the ROCA parishes under Archbishop Agafangel, or the Romanians and the Bulgarians) or with any other TOCs such as the RTOC or ROAC, then that person would be guilty of Old Calendar Ecumenism and would be subject to excommunication from Archbishop Stephanos' synod.

This is a good explanation and it answers my question about intra-TOC ecumenism and on why the old defunct synod of SIR got bad press.

I have a follow up question, if I may, and it is: which synods, if any, is GOC-Stephanos in "communion" with? And, exactly how large is it in terms of membership and clergy? As a comparison, I mean, to say, the GOC-K.

Yes, I wasn't sure if, what felt like, I was throwing over the fence a grenade and how it would turn out, but your post, Maria, was helpful; and, so thanks again. :D

Maria, check your OCNET account for a PM.

Justice
Sr Member
Faith: Deism
Jurisdiction: Possible Inquirer

Post by Justice »

Don't read the comments. :wink:

Justice
Sr Member

Post by Justice »

The most shocking thing in this documentary, is with aboriginals performing a pagan "purification" ceremony inside a Christian church! But it doesn't end there the ecumenists let the aboriginals bring THE BIBLE to the alter. If you havent seen this I'll post a link.

Justice
Sr Member

Post by Justice »

Link: they should use these documentaries in True Orthodox schools.

Barbara
Protoposter

Post by Barbara »

Humorous comment, Justice ! I wish we WOULD have some schools ! That would help quite a bit to educate
people and also to keep them firm in their TOC stances. In short, to not be subject to the propaganda from World Orthodox venues.

I hate that kind of thing. I haven't seen the video but I can imagine based on photos. Was this scene from an Assisi convention ?